Archived Topic

Allen High School, TX to open 18,000 seat stadium

by Y&Brit · 4/14/2010

Advertisement
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
You've gotta love Texas football. My wife is from a little town outside of Amarillo and she said her high school played their games to full crowds at the local Div. II college. Crazy.
S
snoscythe
I went to high school in a Dallas suburb (Flower Mound) my freshman and sophomore years, and when we played our cross-town rivals (Lewisville), we played at Texas Stadium because it was the only place big enough to handle this regular season football game.



It's serious in Texas.
R
RazeEclipse
Really, this isn't anything new. The stadium in Odessa, my hometown and home of the Permian Panthers (of Friday Night Lights fame), has had a stadium that seats 19,000 for almost 30 years.
L
Lawboy
snoscythe wrote:
I went to high school in a Dallas suburb (Flower Mound) my freshman and sophomore years, and when we played our cross-town rivals (Lewisville), we played at Texas Stadium because it was the only place big enough to handle this regular season football game.



It's serious in Texas.


Dude, really? I lived in Cross Timbers and my dad was the bishop of the Lewisville 1st Ward back when there was only 1 ward in town. They split into 2 when I was there too, back in 1980. Sister graduated from LHS, and Flower Mound was just being built as a 2 year school. Ages ago.



And yeah, it is serious in Texas.
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
Sooooo, are these guys trying to make USU jealous? Selling 18,000 tickets to a football game is something that hasn't happened in Logan since 10,000 cougar (or bronco) fans came to town.
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
I went to high school in a Dallas suburb (Flower Mound) my freshman and sophomore years, and when we played our cross-town rivals (Lewisville), we played at Texas Stadium because it was the only place big enough to handle this regular season football game.



It's serious in Texas.


Dude, really? I lived in Cross Timbers and my dad was the bishop of the Lewisville 1st Ward back when there was only 1 ward in town. They split into 2 when I was there too, back in 1980. Sister graduated from LHS, and Flower Mound was just being built as a 2 year school. Ages ago.



And yeah, it is serious in Texas.


Yeah...we actually lived on CrossTimbers Drive in Double Oak. Originally in Lewisville 2nd Ward, Dad was later Bishop of the Flower Mound Ward after a split. I went to Marcus High School for the first two years before we moved off to Ohio.
U
urroner
snoscythe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
I went to high school in a Dallas suburb (Flower Mound) my freshman and sophomore years, and when we played our cross-town rivals (Lewisville), we played at Texas Stadium because it was the only place big enough to handle this regular season football game.



It's serious in Texas.


Dude, really? I lived in Cross Timbers and my dad was the bishop of the Lewisville 1st Ward back when there was only 1 ward in town. They split into 2 when I was there too, back in 1980. Sister graduated from LHS, and Flower Mound was just being built as a 2 year school. Ages ago.



And yeah, it is serious in Texas.


Yeah...we actually lived on CrossTimbers Drive in Double Oak. Originally in Lewisville 2nd Ward, Dad was later Bishop of the Flower Mound Ward after a split. I went to Marcus High School for the first two years before we moved off to Ohio.


Flower Mound Ward??? That sure don't sound like no true Texan name for a ward? Flower Mound???!!! Sounds like some hippie commune or a name for some tree hugger's son.



Is the motto of the school "Flower Power" and is its mascot a pink daisy?



http://atypicallife.shanesakata.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/chiba-afternoon3.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Is this the head cheerleader and the captain of the football team?



http://static.open.salon.com/files/old_hippie_very_old_hippies_11238799250.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mingjai
Yep, Texas high school football, I tell you what...



http://stewiesplayground.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/king-of-the-hill.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
So if the local H.S. teams are filling stadiums, can someone explain TCU?





BTW, I heard Kahuku is getting their stadium expanded too. I heard they are putting lawn chairs behind the fence in the North EndZone. :roll: (For those unaware of Hawaii and Kahuku history, anything they get basically is a portable of some sort i.e portable classrooms Sunset Elementary had two portables put together for their cafe for a long time. Not sure if they finally built a real one).
Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
RazeEclipse wrote:
Really, this isn't anything new. The stadium in Odessa, my hometown and home of the Permian Panthers (of Friday Night Lights fame), has had a stadium that seats 19,000 for almost 30 years.


Interesting fact: the old 12,000 seat stadium Permian used to play in before 1981 was dismantled, stored, then purchased and reassembled in Leander, TX, in 1985. They just finished putting a new press box on top of it this year.



http://www.cedarparksports.com/CPFootball/bible.html



So yeah, it is serious in Texas.



As for TCU, I think their main problem is being overshadowed by the Dallas Cowboys, as they're both in the metroplex. Cowboy Worship is the unofficial state religion of Texas - unless you're one of the 15 Houston Texans fans out there...
G
gmj81
No self-respecting Houstonian roots for anything Dallas. And seeing as how Houston is the fourth largest city in the country I think it's a stretch to say that the Texans don't have any fan support.



As far as the Cowboys interfering with TCU football... Texans have more than enough time to follow their favorite Professional, College and High School team, just not more than one of each. TCU's problem is not the Cowboys, it's the Longhorns, Sooners and the Aggies.
S
snoscythe
gmj81 wrote:
No self-respecting Houstonian roots for anything Dallas. And seeing as how Houston is the fourth largest city in the country I think it's a stretch to say that the Texans don't have any fan support.



As far as the Cowboys interfering with TCU football... Texans have more than enough time to follow their favorite Professional, College and High School team, just not more than one of each. TCU's problem is not the Cowboys, it's the Longhorns, Sooners and the Aggies.


TCU doesn't get much respect because it's not a state school. In BigXII country, your only choice is which state school do I root for. As a private, religious university, TCU gets the crumbs of the crumbs, because when you root for TCU, you are not rooting for the State of Texas.
R
redneckjedi
gmj81 wrote:
No self-respecting Houstonian roots for anything Dallas. And seeing as how Houston is the fourth largest city in the country I think it's a stretch to say that the Texans don't have any fan support.



As far as the Cowboys interfering with TCU football... Texans have more than enough time to follow their favorite Professional, College and High School team, just not more than one of each. TCU's problem is not the Cowboys, it's the Longhorns, Sooners and the Aggies.


I know some Cowboy fans in Houston. I'll have to ask them about their self-respect. ;) My father-in-law, of course, is not one of them, and made sure I wasn't either before giving me permission to marry his daughter. Thankfully, I've hated the Cowboys since the Aikman-Smith-Irving days.



Another issue with TCU I can think of is the size of the university. They have a total enrollment of about 8,800, and over 75,000 living alumni. Compare that to BYU, with 34,000 students and over 362,000 living alumni, or UT-Austin, which has an enrollment of 50,000 and over 450,000 living alumni.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.