Archived Topic

What I'll miss/won't miss at BYU

by YBrit · 4/7/2010

Advertisement
Y
YBrit
I'm heading to grad school in a few months (fly out to Texas Tech tomorrow to decide between 2 schools) and have wanted to make a short list of things I will and won't miss. I'll add or make changes over the next day I think about it.



I will Miss:



5-Inexpensive living, tons of resources, friends, members, etc...

4-Mountains: Didn't get in them enough.

3-Brick Oven

2-Y Basketball: It's easier to get over losses than football, but the MC and Rose have a special program, and I'll miss seeing Ws.

1-Y Football Games: It's an entire 12 hour day...sometimes more. People are just starting to Blue Out the stadium, show up cheering before kickoff, and excitement finally feels legit and expectations I believe will be met after I'm gone sadly.



I won't Miss:



5-Not paying $ to walk in graduation

4-Health Center;Testing Center & Bookstore Nazi hunters(truly);Library website

3-MWC, Y ticket office, UVU, Yewta "fans" in Provo

2-Undergrad Students: Too bouncy and bubbly for me to be around, but maybe I'll appreciate that when it's not around. The political views I like for the most part however, liberal here we come.

1-Non-academic Faculty: (Including student jobs when a full-time employee should actually be working-ie Financial Issues too big for patsy's to handle) Some of you may be faculty but after numerous on-campus jobs I've had enough experience to know what's really important and I'll leave it at that before I go Max Hall on it.



Runner Ups: BYU Police Beats are funny, Cleanliness is great, Empty-headed student comments in class (really just naiveness, which in a few cases is understandable) is very funny. Female Refs at Intramurals-honestly it would be better just to call your own foul or play on our knees than to have them in there, though some male refs are just as bad.







It's a great place with few problems and would do it over again if I had to.
I
IowaCougar
I graduated in 1979, and again in 1985 (MBA). Since then, I've lived all over the country (4 time zones). Something I've come to realize is that the students and their attitude at BYU are more "real" than anywhere else I've been. While at BYU I often heard the complaint that BYU was somehow "artificial" or not a "real" environment. On the contrary, the students there have a better understanding of the world and the way it works than anywhere else. They are also less subject to the kind of propoganda found on other campuses. (I know, you may think there is a certain groupthink to BYU, but not nearly to the level of other "liberal" campuses). I think you'll find your experience at another campus interesting - especially on the subject of "open-mindedness". Good luck!
C
CAFB_04-12
Don't forget caffeine free Mountain Dew. The regular stuff still keeps me up at night. You can't find the caffeine free stuff anywhere on this green earth!
G
Guest
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
Don't forget caffeine free Mountain Dew. The regular stuff still keeps me up at night. You can't find the caffeine free stuff anywhere on this green earth!


That's all they sell in Canada.
B
byutx
The worst thing about BYU is how self-important everyone is at nearly every location, both in academics and in support. Everyone has their little fiefdom and thinks their area is the center of the universe. It's most common among people at the Wilk and MTC from an operations standpoint. It's also a problem with the financial aid folks-who the hell do they think they are to decide for me how much I need to support myself and family while finishing up grad school here. One of the things I love most about the law school is its location-being across the street from campus seems to eliminate some of these issues. I cross the street as little as possible.



The thing I'll miss the least is that getting around in Provo takes more than 5 times the amount of time it would in Salt Lake.
Advertisement
M
Mars


If only Provo were located in Santa Barbara, it would be the most perfect town on Earth...
B
BerliNY
YBrit wrote:
I'm heading to grad school in a few months (fly out to Texas Tech tomorrow to decide between 2 schools) and have wanted to make a short list of things I will and won't miss. I'll add or make changes over the next day I think about it.



I will Miss:



5-Inexpensive living, tons of resources, friends, members, etc...

4-Mountains: Didn't get in them enough.

3-Brick Oven

2-Y Basketball: It's easier to get over losses than football, but the MC and Rose have a special program, and I'll miss seeing Ws.

1-Y Football Games: It's an entire 12 hour day...sometimes more. People are just starting to Blue Out the stadium, show up cheering before kickoff, and excitement finally feels legit and expectations I believe will be met after I'm gone sadly.



I won't Miss:



5-Not paying $ to walk in graduation

4-Health Center;Testing Center & Bookstore Nazi hunters(truly);Library website

3-MWC, Y ticket office, UVU, Yewta "fans" in Provo

2-Undergrad Students: Too bouncy and bubbly for me to be around, but maybe I'll appreciate that when it's not around. The political views I like for the most part however, liberal here we come.

1-Non-academic Faculty: (Including student jobs when a full-time employee should actually be working-ie Financial Issues too big for patsy's to handle) Some of you may be faculty but after numerous on-campus jobs I've had enough experience to know what's really important and I'll leave it at that before I go Max Hall on it.



Runner Ups: BYU Police Beats are funny, Cleanliness is great, Empty-headed student comments in class (really just naiveness, which in a few cases is understandable) is very funny. Female Refs at Intramurals-honestly it would be better just to call your own foul or play on our knees than to have them in there, though some male refs are just as bad.







It's a great place with few problems and would do it over again if I had to.


I was in your shoes two years ago, allow me to propose a couple of items for your lists based on my experience.



Miss:



-Watching BYU Bowl Games in the Wilk

-BYU Students, you think they're dumb until you see the gems that other schools are turning out.

-Cafe Rio, not so much a problem in Texas, but even there, nothing is quite like a pork burrito from cafe rio(unless it's costa vida)

-The (nearly) alcohol-free society, does EVERY social gathering outside of Utah HAVE to revolve around alcohol?

-BYU Wards, 99% attendance/activity, home teaching takes 45 minutes/month





Won't Miss:

-Utah's Air "Quality" in the Winter, you can't see Timp if it's been more than a week since the last storm?

-University Approved "Housing" in the slums of Provo

-the incessant whine of UVU, USU, SUU, Snow, and Dixie students who can't stop talking about how they are so glad they didn't go to BYU, honestly they're worse than ewets sometimes.
D
Dcr36
BerliNY wrote:

-The (nearly) alcohol-free society, does EVERY social gathering outside of Utah HAVE to revolve around alcohol?


Hahaha. Here at the U, the split in my particular department is probably 60% non-member/40% member, and while the non-members are generally really good to invite the members to the social functions with the caveat of "you don't have to drink to participate," it usually turns out that:



1) you'll be one of the few sober ones (most of the LDS kids are married and just want to get home to their families, and thus don't really attend the sponsored functions)

2) watching other people get drunk loses its thrill after high school.



I definitely miss that from BYU.
Y
Y&Brit
byutx wrote:
The worst thing about BYU is how self-important everyone is at nearly every location, both in academics and in support. Everyone has their little fiefdom and thinks their area is the center of the universe. It's most common among people at the Wilk and MTC from an operations standpoint. It's also a problem with the financial aid folks-who the hell do they think they are to decide for me how much I need to support myself and family while finishing up grad school here. One of the things I love most about the law school is its location-being across the street from campus seems to eliminate some of these issues. I cross the street as little as possible.



The thing I'll miss the least is that getting around in Provo takes more than 5 times the amount of time it would in Salt Lake.




I was more general, but know what you mean. So far Lubbock has been cleaner than Springfield, and I have yet to be surprised by my Y goggles.
B
BYULV
I kinda miss the mint brownies
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
BerliNY wrote:

-Cafe Rio, not so much a problem in Texas, but even there, nothing is quite like a pork burrito from cafe rio(unless it's costa vida)


Is that the answer...cuz everyone here in Texas goes to Chipotle and that nast they call food is just pathetic. I'll have to try Costa Vida next time I get a chance.
B
BerliNY
mizzoucoug wrote:

-Cafe Rio, not so much a problem in Texas, but even there, nothing is quite like a pork burrito from cafe rio(unless it's costa vida)


Is that the answer...cuz everyone here in Texas goes to Chipotle and that nast they call food is just pathetic. I'll have to try Costa Vida next time I get a chance.


Being located in Upstate NY Chipotle is as good as it gets here (yeah, it's that bad). If I lived in TX I'd be hitting up the local TexMex dives, eating at Chipotle in TX defeats the point of living in TX IMO (like eating at a Pizza Hut in Chicago). Even so, Cafe Rio is special and stands apart from the TexMex and LA-brand Mexican as something unique.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.