Archived Topic

Butler hands the torch off to Boise State

by Mars · 4/7/2010

Advertisement
B
BerliNY
Mars wrote:


Butler playing for a national title in college basketball paved the road for BSU to win one in football, says SI's Andy Staples:



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/04/06/butler-boise/index.html


Also, the news that the Duke-Butler final produced the highest overnight rating in 11 years for an NCAA title game suggests that none of the powerful folks on the fringes of the BCS would object to Boise State in the title game. In fact, for ESPN's first year as the sole BCS rightsholder, a title game matching David (the Broncos) against Goliath (Alabama or Ohio State, for example) would be a ratings bonanza.


This logic works until you have to tell a #3 ranked, 11-1, conference champ from the Big12 that they don't get to play the #1 ranked SEC champ in the BCS title game because non-BCS guy is in at #2. You don't think the BCS heads of state wouldn't take exception to that? Ratings be damned, I don't think the BCS cartel would let that happen. Prove me wrong BCS, ball's in your court.
S
SpiffCoug
Unless the BCS changes the rules, if a non-BCS team finishes #2 it doesn't matter if you have five undefeated BCS conference champions ranked #3-#7. The non-BCS team will go to the BCS Championship game. The BCS does not match the top two ranked BCS conference champions. The BCS matches the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the final BCS standings for the BCS champsionship.



You could have seven undefeated conference champions - one from each of the six BCS leagues and a seventh team from a non-BCS leauge. If that non-AQ is in the top two, they will play for the BCS championship. Period. End of discussion. End of story.
W
Wickchad
kitic77 wrote:



You could have seven undefeated conference champions - one from each of the six BCS leagues and a seventh team from a non-BCS leauge. If that non-AQ is in the top two, they will play for the BCS championship. Period. End of discussion. End of story.


...there just isn't a chance in hell that a non-AQ would still be ranked number 2 if that was the case.
L
Lawboy
Not going to matter after BSU goes to DC and loses to VT in early September. But does set us up nicely if we can beat UW then improve from there.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Lawboy wrote:
Not going to matter after BSU goes to DC and loses to VT in early September. But does set us up nicely if we can beat UW then improve from there.


Here - here!!!!!!

8)
D
Dcr36
Lawboy wrote:
Not going to matter after BSU goes to DC and loses to VT in early September. But does set us up nicely if we can beat UW then improve from there.


I admire your optimism.



I do think BSU loses to VT, but I don't see us setting ourselves up for anything other than LV or Poinsettia next year.
L
Lawboy
I think UW is going to be very good this year. If we win that game, I think it means we are much better than many of us expect. Sark is a great coach. Just look how much UW improved in year 1. If they make a similar jump, they will be very good, and I expect them to be with a senior QB who is going to be an NFL First Rounder. I am glad this game is in Provo.
Y
YBrit
I didn't know the BcS controlled the basketball marketplace too! I'm glad I know now. BSU will have their shot, I still can't believe TCU didn't know it would be a fake. That's how you beat BSU, expect the fake VT and you'll beat them
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
Not going to matter after BSU goes to DC and loses to VT in early September. But does set us up nicely if we can beat UW then improve from there.

IMO...



BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating Washington

BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating Florida State

BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating TCU

BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating Utah



BSU's odds of beating the 2nd toughest team on their schedule = BYU's odds of beating the weakest team on our schedule.



I know y'all don't like to hear it, but that's the way I think it is..... :skeptic:
Advertisement
M
Mars
YBrit wrote:
I didn't know the BcS controlled the basketball marketplace too! I'm glad I know now. BSU will have their shot, I still can't believe TCU didn't know it would be a fake. That's how you beat BSU, expect the fake VT and you'll beat them

If only BYU had run one trick play against TCU, maybe we would have beat them, instead of losing by 28... :gross:
L
Lawboy
Mars wrote:

BSU's odds of beating the 2nd toughest team on their schedule = BYU's odds of beating the weakest team on our schedule.


Seriously? You think BYU has an equal chance to beat UNM or UNLV or USU than BSU does of beating Oregon State? You are on crack. OSU is infinitely better than those other schools in depth and athleticism. Even Wyoming will give BSU a better game than BYUs worst opponent.
D
Dcr36
Wow. We have one poster whose opinions I respect thinking we'll be in a position to make a BCS run next year, and another poster whose opinions I respect thinking that the odds of us losing to UNLV or UNM are equal to BSU losing to Oregon State. (Granted, I think BSU will beat OSU comfortably, but that has far more to do with BSU's near-magical homefield advantage than it has to do with a gross imbalance between the two teams' skill level.)



I know nothing about the team that Nevada is returning for next year, but last year they were arguably the WAC's second-best team (and thus BSU's THIRD-best opponent next year, possibly). Think we stand to drop one against them, Mars?
T
tmoney35
Mars wrote:

BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating Washington

BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating Florida State

BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating TCU

BSU's odds of beating Virginia Tech > BYU's odds of beating Utah



BSU's odds of beating the 2nd toughest team on their schedule = BYU's odds of beating the weakest team on our schedule.



I know y'all don't like to hear it, but that's the way I think it is..... :skeptic: [/color]


so...are you saying that you think BSU's odds of beating OSU (I assume that's the second toughest team you're talking about) are extremely high, or are you saying that we'll struggle beating even the worst team on our schedule? You weren't totally clear there.



I think worst case scenario is we go 1-4 in our 5 toughest games (those you listed plus air force) and go 7-1 in the other 8, finishing 8-5. Best case scenario, we win 10 games again by winning the Las Vegas Bowl...again.
M
Mars


I forgot that Boise State was playing both Virginia Tech and Oregon State next year. But I think BSU is about as far ahead of the 2nd WAC team as BYU is ahead of the dregs of the MWC. Teams like New Mexico bounce back pretty quickly in our conference, and Boise State returns 21 of 22 starters from an undefeated team.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Mars wrote:


I forgot that Boise State was playing both Virginia Tech and Oregon State next year. But I think BSU is about as far ahead of the 2nd WAC team as BYU is ahead of the dregs of the MWC. Teams like New Mexico bounce back pretty quickly in our conference, and Boise State returns 21 of 22 starters from an undefeated team.


This makes more sense to me then. I agree BSU is far and away the most talented and deep team in the WAC. Nevada is not closing that gap, Fresno State could, but not this year. Others teams are improving (USU, NMSU) but are so bad to start with, not even close. I think the MWC is deeper, but UNLV is gonna really be bad this year. CSU might be too, in spite of its coach.
T
tmoney35
Mars wrote:


I forgot that Boise State was playing both Virginia Tech and Oregon State next year. But I think BSU is about as far ahead of the 2nd WAC team as BYU is ahead of the dregs of the MWC. Teams like New Mexico bounce back pretty quickly in our conference, and Boise State returns 21 of 22 starters from an undefeated team.


That does make more sense
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.