Archived Topic

Linebackers

by BigCougsFan · 4/6/2010

Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
I'm in discussion with a frUTE about BYU's linebackers and TCU's. I threw out a statement that might be far fetched, but maybe not cause I love who we have on our roster. I said, "I bet our linebackers are faster than TCU's linebackers". He said he would take me on that bet, cause he doesn't believe me... Obviously.



I'm talking about linebackers and not DE's, cause TCU's DE's are fricken insane.



I know every frUTE fan says they have the fastest boys on their team(defense) that runs 4.3's and 4.4's which I find extremely hard to believe.



Apparently I'm throwing out statements that I can't back up. Anyone who could educate me on this would be much appreciated. If anyone thinks I'm correct or incorrect... Tell me and explain why I am.
S
snoscythe
Yeah, I doubt BYU's backers as a unit are faster than TCU's. We may match them on the edges this fall with Pendleton/Van Noy, but I'm not convinced that Ogletree/Leung-Wai/Stout in the middle is going to bring a lot of quickness to the position.



The problem with your comparison is this--you are comparing positions in two COMPLETELY different defensive schemes. BYU runs a conservative 3-4-4 package, with two hefty linebackers in the middle, and two long, quick guys on the outside. TCU runs a mad scientist's 4-2-5 defense with only two linebackers who are really just oversized strong safeties. Pendleton and Van Noy might be quick, but they are prototypical linebackers. At best I would say those two (our fastest) are just as fast as TCU's two backers, but that might be a bit blue-goggled. Carder and Washington were 6'2"/230 and 6'3/235--about the same as Pendleton was on the outside for us, but 20-30 pounds lighter than the BYU guys playing middle backer spots.



So yeah, I really don't see BYU's backer unit as a whole being faster than TCU's when you factor in our Mikes and Bucks. If you're looking for something to hang your hat on, you could mention that our linebackers play linebacker in the NFL, while TCU's play safety.
B
BigCougsFan
snoscythe-

Thanks! Here's where I'm going wrong... I'm not at all educated on the 3-4-4, 4-2-5 defensive schemes out there, my lack of education on my end. From an outsiders point of view... I'm trying to compare all four of our linebackers to their two linebackers. Technically, all four of ours would have to be extremely fast in order to compare with their two linebackers.

If their linebackers are "oversized strong safeties", then yeah... I'm screwed on the bet. LOL.



Wasn't there recently a post dedicated on athletes speed, or am I just losing it??? I need to look at the recent threads.
Y
YBrit
I've heard rumors that BYU is changing to a



6-2-3 set this year.

























Not really though.
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
Snoscythe and Mars-



This is all great. Thanks for the help BUT you guys forgot our future MWC defensive player of the year, Pendelton's time.
S
snoscythe
BigCougsFan wrote:
Snoscythe and Mars-



This is all great. Thanks for the help BUT you guys forgot our future MWC defensive player of the year, Pendelton's time.


Those numbers are for recent recruits (we also didn't include the times for TCU's starters for last season).



Pendleton, the only recorded time I could find was 4.65.



Carder at TCU was 4.6, Washington was 4.58.
L
Lawboy
Just read that BYU is expecting both Stout and Collin Keoshian to contribute in the fall as true freshamn. At least, that is what Coach Tidwell said. Stout is a 4.7 guy, but Keoshian is 4.58. Our speed at the position has been upgraded. All over the field, in fact.
B
BigCougsFan
Thanks!



Collin looked to me like an all natural athlete from some of the clips I've seen of him. I love seeing that he has a 4.58 speed as well. I can't wait to see him play something other than 8-man football.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
About TCU's 4-2-5 defense. What are the pros and cons of us(BYU) facing a defense like theirs???
C
CougarClaw
YBrit wrote:
I've heard rumors that BYU is changing to a



6-2-3 set this year.



Not really though.


It's actually a 6-3-3 defense.



but it only works if coupled with the blind-ref scheme.
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
Just read that BYU is expecting both Stout and Collin Keoshian to contribute in the fall as true freshamn. At least, that is what Coach Tidwell said. Stout is a 4.7 guy, but Keoshian is 4.58. Our speed at the position has been upgraded. All over the field, in fact.

TCU is probably faster than I am giving them credit for, because I pulled only the 40 times from their LB recruits (Scout and Rivals) over the past 4 seasons. Gary Patterson is the type that likes to move kids around, so high school CBs, safeties, RBs, any of them could end up at linebacker playing in his system.



Same with us- Pendleton was recruited as a DB initially. I think our fastest listed LB, Richardson, was a walk-on who ended up playing DL and may not even be on the team anymore. And I only used Scout for BYU, and I don't think Stout or Keoshian had a 40 time listed on their website.
B
Brayden Green
BigCougsFan wrote:
About TCU's 4-2-5 defense. What are the pros and cons of us(BYU) facing a defense like theirs???


The Pro's:

- Our experienced and beefy Oliners won't be overpowered by their Dline.

- There is a chance that we might have a teeny light at the end of the tunnel for the running game (between the tackles, we are screwed anything off the tackles).



That's it.



The Con's:

- We are in big trouble. The speed of their DE's will give us trouble.

- Our recievers won't be able to create separation so no long pass plays and not many completed passes on the WR wings.

- just a billion other problems... it is going to be rough. We are outmatched everywhere. It comes down to our defense being as good against their offense as theirs will be against ours. That is our only chance. Even their special teams blows us out of the water...
S
Short_Change
Mars wrote:
Just read that BYU is expecting both Stout and Collin Keoshian to contribute in the fall as true freshamn. At least, that is what Coach Tidwell said. Stout is a 4.7 guy, but Keoshian is 4.58. Our speed at the position has been upgraded. All over the field, in fact.

TCU is probably faster than I am giving them credit for, because I pulled only the 40 times from their LB recruits (Scout and Rivals) over the past 4 seasons. Gary Patterson is the type that likes to move kids around, so high school CBs, safeties, RBs, any of them could end up at linebacker playing in his system.



Same with us- Pendleton was recruited as a DB initially. I think our fastest listed LB, Richardson, was a walk-on who ended up playing DL and may not even be on the team anymore. And I only used Scout for BYU, and I don't think Stout or Keoshian had a 40 time listed on their website.


Jared Richardson is the younger brother of Brock and Jordan Richardson. Jared walked on and is a LB. He may be on a mission now. He has some serious potential. He passed up a schollie at Utah to walk on at BYU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.