Archived Topic

Domers vs Pukes - Nov. 13

by 1967cougar · 4/4/2010

Advertisement
1
1967cougar
Who do you find yourself pulling for?



On the one hand we have the hated Pukes carrying the banner of the MWC. On the other hand we have the hated Domers and all the unfair advantages they get just for being Notre Dame.



Personally, I grew up hating the Domers. One of the biggest conflicts I had in life was the hypothetical match-up of Pukes vs Domers. Who would I pull for?



Over the last few years, however, my sentiments have settled.



I publicly declare here, on CougarCorner, the best site on the web, that on Nov. 13, for the first time in my 61 years of existence on this planet, I will become an avid Notre Dame fan for the day. Go Irish! Stomp the Pukes!!
B
byutx
My take on cheering/not cheering for the utes:



The in-season effects of one isolated Utah win over any non-conference team is not worth a whole lot. But, when in conjunction with 11 other wins, it does mean quite a bit-but only for that season.



The cumulative effect (or, in other words, the long lasting effects in a time beyond that one season) are so negligible to be almost worthless. Utah's 08 wins over Louisville and Alabama are worth nothing to us, them (other than memories and bragging points v. Y fans) or the conference in the eyes of those that matter.



So, cheer against Utah if one or more applies: you favor the long-term effects approach; you don't hate Utah's opponent more than Utah; you either live in Utah, have Ute fan relatives or otherwise have to deal with Ute fans; you understand that Utah can't go undefeated next year with a defense that gives up 250 passing yards to Terrence Cain on a regular basis and that TCU is going to go undefeated next season



Cheer for Utah if: you only think about this season; you hate Utah's opponent more than Utah; you don't live in Utah and don't have to deal with any Utah fans as family members, friends or acquaintances; you believe that the establishment (NCAA, BCS, ESPN, etc.) will always remember that Utah beat Pitt in 2004 and will give them, the MWC and BYU at least some credit years after the fact (or, to put it another way, you are dumb ;))
B
BPcougs
I hope Utah losses every game in every sport :)
B
Brayden Green
byutx wrote:
My take on cheering/not cheering for the utes:



The in-season effects of one isolated Utah win over any non-conference team is not worth a whole lot. But, when in conjunction with 11 other wins, it does mean quite a bit-but only for that season.



The cumulative effect (or, in other words, the long lasting effects in a time beyond that one season) are so negligible to be almost worthless. Utah's 08 wins over Louisville and Alabama are worth nothing to us, them (other than memories and bragging points v. Y fans) or the conference in the eyes of those that matter.



So, cheer against Utah if one or more applies: you favor the long-term effects approach; you don't hate Utah's opponent more than Utah; you either live in Utah, have Ute fan relatives or otherwise have to deal with Ute fans; you understand that Utah can't go undefeated next year with a defense that gives up 250 passing yards to Terrence Cain on a regular basis and that TCU is going to go undefeated next season



Cheer for Utah if: you only think about this season; you hate Utah's opponent more than Utah; you don't live in Utah and don't have to deal with any Utah fans as family members, friends or acquaintances; you believe that the establishment (NCAA, BCS, ESPN, etc.) will always remember that Utah beat Pitt in 2004 and will give them, the MWC and BYU at least some credit years after the fact (or, to put it another way, you are dumb ;))


hahaha. 100% agreed.
L
Lawboy
I hope Utah beats Notre Dame, then gets all happy with themselves just in time for BYU to sufficiently humble then, and break their freaking hearts.



By the way, in seeing reviews of Utah practice, it sure seems as if their defense is going to be bad this year. I have seen that offense, and we contained it last year, but their D can not stop them. Utah might be an O first team next year, just like the Domers.
Advertisement
B
byutx
Let me also add that anyone who thinks fans can influence the outcome of a game by really, really hoping for a loss (or win) by any one particular team are dilusional. I am trying not to be one of those fans.
C
CougarPeasant
I want them to both lose.



End of story.
B
BerliNY
No question, Notre Dame all the way!



Any respect I had for Notre Dame went the way of my last burrito during the Weis 'era' and was finished off when they chose not to play in a bowl game to avoid finishing 6-7. Rather sackless if I don't say so.



That said it takes a very special occasion for me to want yewtah to win.



If yewtah does win, I can always tell myself that it was 'good for the conference' (not that beating ND these days is that big of a deal, but it is guaranteed to be well publicized).
K
kfilly20
Go Jazz
B
BerliNY
kfilly20 wrote:
Go Jazz

Word
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
I think we all know Utah is going to win. Utah will be more experienced than they were last year AND they were better than a .500 team.

Notre Dame is starting off with a new coach and staff who is just implementing their own coaching styles. Plus it will be their very first game working together. I highly doubt they'll win their first game.



Also... Utah does extremely well against their OOC opponents.
M
Mars


I always liked Notre Dame football. Even more so with Weis gone now.



I can't ever root for a Big East basketball team though.
A
ABYUFAN
I'll be rooting for injuries.
L
Lawboy
I have a brother who graduated from Utah. of course, he holds season tickets to BYU and roots for the Cougars. My grandpa was a 4 year letterman for Utah football back in the lat 1930's, and they honored him at a game before he passed away 6 years ago. He started at Fullback and Elder Wirthlin played RB with him when Elder Wirthlin was a freshman and my grandpa a senior.



Needless to say, I do not hate the U. I just loathe many of the fans they have, especially the BYU haters. And I love seeing BYU beat them at anything because of those same fans. It is a great rivalry that is made better when both teams win. And best of all when BYU beats them when Utah is good. Less joy in beating a crappy team. See hoops the last several years as an example.
R
rblack
When Utah is playing BYU I want them to lose and lose painfully. When Utah is not playing BYU, I am pretty much apathetic except when they are playing a BCS team. Whether it is football or basketball, I want teams from BCS conferences to lose. I am becoming pretty unreasonable about this, I don't care if the BCS teams are playing Utah, Utah State, Boise State, Idaho State etc., I want them to lose. If they are playing BCS vs BCS, I want the higher regarded team to lose. Notre Dame is part of the BCS by association.

Utah not worthy of my notice or emotion, they don't matter to me unless they are playing BYU.

The BCS is evil, I want it exposed, I want it destroyed and I want a playoff. Until we get that, I will cheer against them. :crazy:
Advertisement
G
gmj81
I'm with black. I always root for the underdog unless it's against my team or it would help my team. I may like other programs but I have only one team and that team is the Cougars. Also, even if a non-AQ team is favored to win, I still consider them the underdog because of the craptastic system that is the BCS.



I hope the pukes barely eek this one out but I hope they win all the same. Irish fans or the media thinking "they're back" would be almost more insufferable than the pukes. At least we have the opportunity to shut the pukes up at the end of every year regardless of how well they've done that season. If ND happens to get ranked, that's all you hear about.
S
SpiffCoug
I have for cheered for Utah exactly one time - in the Sugar Bowl and only for an extremely appropriate reason. I was in Kuwait on my way home from Afghanistan. There were three of us from my unit who woke up to watch the game at 3am (we actually didn't go to bed in the hope of sleeping on the flight home). All three of us were from Utah but only one was a Utah fan. Right before kickoff about 30 Soldiers from the Alabama National Guard who were heading to Iraq in the next few days came him. They were all excited for the Tide to roll over some tiny team like Utah.



They were loud and cheering as the game started. When Utah took that early 21-0 and made it look easy it was hard no to cheer loudly for Utah and taunt the guys from Alabama that not only was "our" team kicking their @$$es, but that we were flying HOME in a few hours, while they were going back to the sandbox!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.