Archived Topic

This Would Absolutely RUIN College Basketball...

by Mars · 4/2/2010

Advertisement
K
KYCoug
I see it as a money grab... Conference Tournaments and the NIT would probably go away so essentially that money from them ends up in the NCAA. Where does it end, there will still be schools left out that feel they should have made it. I agree that March Madness is as good as it gets. Even though my brackets are toast I still want to see it through to the end.
C
cougarsunited
Mars wrote:


http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/news/story?id=5047800&campaign=rss&source=NCBHeadlines



:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:



I would never fill out a bracket again, and to me over each of the past 7 years March Madness has had more meaning than Christmas.....


I agree, it wouldn't make March Madness any more appealing, but I don't think it will ruin colllege basketball. By the time we get past the first two rounds it will all be back to how it has always been.
B
bostoncoug
The thing that I find frustrating is the College Presidents don't want to extend the football season through a playoff, because extending the season would take the "student athletes" out of class for to much time. However it seems to be perfectly acceptable to extend the basketball season and allow those "student athletes" to miss more classes. Something doesn't add up here.
T
tmoney35
bostoncoug wrote:
The thing that I find frustrating is the College Presidents don't want to extend the football season through a playoff, because extending the season would take the "student athletes" out of class for to much time. However it seems to be perfectly acceptable to extend the basketball season and allow those "student athletes" to miss more classes. Something doesn't add up here.




From what I've heard, the expanded tournament would start and end on pretty much the same dates as the current one
Advertisement
B
bostoncoug
tmoney35 wrote:
The thing that I find frustrating is the College Presidents don't want to extend the football season through a playoff, because extending the season would take the "student athletes" out of class for to much time. However it seems to be perfectly acceptable to extend the basketball season and allow those "student athletes" to miss more classes. Something doesn't add up here.




From what I've heard, the expanded tournament would start and end on pretty much the same dates as the current one


I wonder how? It seems to me that adding 32 more teams is bound to lead to a longer season. Are they going to shorten the regular season, or take away the conference tournaments?
B
bostoncoug
tmoney35 wrote:
The thing that I find frustrating is the College Presidents don't want to extend the football season through a playoff, because extending the season would take the "student athletes" out of class for to much time. However it seems to be perfectly acceptable to extend the basketball season and allow those "student athletes" to miss more classes. Something doesn't add up here.




From what I've heard, the expanded tournament would start and end on pretty much the same dates as the current one


The tournament will be played in the same time frame, however teams that begin in the opening rounds who keep winning could miss a week of school. Fom the article:
He also said the amount of time student-athletes would be out of school would be roughly the same as the current model, ]but teams that play in the opening round and keep winning would actually be out an entire week of school instead of just a few days.
C
craigoscarson
While I'm not in love with changing one of the best couple weeks of the year, I'm not sure that BYU and the MWC doesn't benefit from this.



No longer would the weak half of the mwc conf put good teams like sdsu, unlv, etc. on the bubble. All top 50 rpi teams would be in. In every year in the last 20 that BYU went to the NIT; they'd have been in the dance.



It also changes the Sunday rule issues for BYU. There's so much more for the committee to chew on, that rankings and rpi will put seeds closer to what they deserve than what the committee deems appropriate; with that many teams in, there has to be some way to mathematically seed teams; there's too many teams in the proposed field to abitrarily seed us poorly. (they still could mind you but I think this helps)



It also means that BCS teams that normally make the dance, dont' have to duck the small guys because of the tiny window that exists right now; no longer would a bad loss to a "non bcs" school be enough to put a team on the bubble. Teams may be willing to come to Provo to play now.



It also means that as long as BYU stays a top 20 team, that they likely face a gimmee in the 1st round. As is stands, a 7 seed would see the winner of a previous game of 2 lower seeds (the top 32 teams will be protected)



While I'd hate to see the tourney change; it's just so good right now, I'd hate to risk messing it up; this might actually benefit the MWC and BYU....
C
CougarClaw
So the first thought I had was "bye teams" and "non-bye teams" sure sounds a LOT like BCS and non-BCS teams to me.



but it does greatly increase our chances of winning yet another game in the tournament next year if we can stay on the upper echelon of this monstrosity.



I think we'll also see a plethora of organizations offering HUGE pots of money for someone writing in a perfect bracket since you're probably more likely to catch a falling asteroid, find a map inside that just happens to lead to buried treasure than successfully predict a 96 team bracket.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Let me put this another way...



I'm playing in 3 different March Madness groups this year, all have about 30 people playing, give or take: a family and friends group, one work pool, and one group here. Of those 90 people, how many would play if there were 92 teams, instead of 65? Could you even fill out an actual photo-copied bracket with that many team names forced onto it? I don't think so. I think only about 10 of those 90 would fill out a huge, expanded bracket, and I'm not one of them.



Why is March Madness so much fun to watch? Because you have invested time and emotion into the outcome of all of the games, not just the ones involving your team or conference. It actually matters to you whether Louisville beats Cal or Cornell beats Temple. Would you watch as much March Madness on TV if you or none of your friends filled out brackets? Highly unlikely. I would only watch BYU, that's it.





I just think the whole thinks reeks of a soulless corporate money-grab, the sport be damned, the student-athletes be damned, the fans be damned. And I'm not going to support a bloated, meaningless product if this occurs. I can just imagine an 18-12 team in the championship game, 13 Big east teams in the tournament, a final four featuring two teams with losing in-conference records. NO THANKS.
S
snoscythe
What I don't understand is how the NCAA can make this naked money grab, but then sit back and let the BCS ruin college football and refuse to take control and install a playoff system because of the bowls. The NCAA could take over the college football post-season on a whim and rake in the dough, but they'd rather make sure every team that goes .500 in a power basketball conference plays in the NCAA tourney and kill off threats to power like the NIT and CBI.



If you had the power to take someone's candy, whose would YOU take....the NIT, or the BCS?
S
SpiffCoug
It's because the NCAA still holds the keys to its college basketball. It doesn't control college football. That is controlled by the conferences who have gotten together to from a monopoly and voting block that would prevent the NCAA from taking control.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
What I don't understand is how the NCAA can make this naked money grab, but then sit back and let the BCS ruin college football and refuse to take control and install a playoff system because of the bowls.

Because football players still have to be STUDENT-athletes, while basketball players are allowed to take 3 weeks off of class...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.