Archived Topic

New Commit

by scott715 · 3/27/2010

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=13376&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



Various recruiting-related Web sites are reporting that BYU has received an oral commitment from Bingham High football player Kesni Tausinga, a defefnsive tackle who will be a senior this fall.

Tausinga becomes the seventh member of the Class of 2011 to commit to BYU.

Tausinga, a defensive tackle, is 6-foot, 265 pounds.

He’s the fourth player from Bingham to commit to BYU, joining Manoa Pikula, Baker Pritchard and Moses Kaumatule.



Is this old news? Scout has it dated 2/27/10.
G
gmj81
This is really strange. Usually the Trib and DesNews don't wait two hours to report what they learned from their TBS subscription. Yet here they are finally reporting this like it's hot off the press when it's over a month old already.



http://byu.scout.com/2/949753.html dated 2/27.
D
Ddawg
Old news ..... new news ..... any news about a quality commit for the Cougs is GOOD news to me. But, I am a little biased.

8)
S
scott715
Isn't there another big recruit from that High School that we are waiting on? I thought that was who they were talking about.
Advertisement
B
BigCougsFan
scott715 wrote:
Isn't there another big recruit from that High School that we are waiting on? I thought that was who they were talking about.


You're probably thinking of running back Harvey Langi from Bingham H.S. I bet he'll attend some BCS school anyways. Sounds like he'll go on a mission, too.



http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=8&c=1&nid=3819396
K
KYCoug
Don't want to sound negative here because I'm not at all, but at 6'0" 265lbs (Trib article says 6'1" 275) for a DT seems a little small. He'll be going up against OT's who are 6-8 inches taller and 60plus pounds heaver and on the interior line would be bottled up more to be able to use superior speed if he has it. We've got LB's bigger and probably faster. Like I said I'm not really negative about him, he might be a whale of a ball player but he'll need to do a lot of heavy lifting with his size and that can drag about the 4th quarter.



I do have faith in Bronco though and if he likes him, that's really all I need to know. Hopefully he can grow a bit more his senior year.



Anyone have any more info on him?



Go Cougs!

L Hatton

Louisville KY
B
BerliNY
KYCoug wrote:
Don't want to sound negative here because I'm not at all, but at 6'0" 265lbs (Trib article says 6'1" 275) for a DT seems a little small. He'll be going up against OT's who are 6-8 inches taller and 60plus pounds heaver and on the interior line would be bottled up more to be able to use superior speed if he has it. We've got LB's bigger and probably faster. Like I said I'm not really negative about him, he might be a whale of a ball player but he'll need to do a lot of heavy lifting with his size and that can drag about the 4th quarter.



I do have faith in Bronco though and if he likes him, that's really all I need to know. Hopefully he can grow a bit more his senior year.



Anyone have any more info on him?



Go Cougs!

L Hatton

Louisville KY


So he's got either 6lbs or 16lbs on Jan Jorgensen. If Bronco offered him a scholie he's big enough for me.
G
gmj81
BerliNY wrote:
Don't want to sound negative here because I'm not at all, but at 6'0" 265lbs (Trib article says 6'1" 275) for a DT seems a little small. He'll be going up against OT's who are 6-8 inches taller and 60plus pounds heaver and on the interior line would be bottled up more to be able to use superior speed if he has it. We've got LB's bigger and probably faster. Like I said I'm not really negative about him, he might be a whale of a ball player but he'll need to do a lot of heavy lifting with his size and that can drag about the 4th quarter.



I do have faith in Bronco though and if he likes him, that's really all I need to know. Hopefully he can grow a bit more his senior year.



Anyone have any more info on him?



Go Cougs!

L Hatton

Louisville KY


So he's got either 6lbs or 16lbs on Jan Jorgensen. If Bronco offered him a scholie he's big enough for me.


Nevermind that RT played very effectively at 275. But not everybody is going to start their freshman year either. This kid has plenty of time to find the right playing weight to suit his skills. If he doesn't hit it by this fall, all is not lost.
Advertisement
P
ProV1
KYCoug wrote:
Don't want to sound negative here because I'm not at all, but at 6'0" 265lbs (Trib article says 6'1" 275) for a DT seems a little small.


Jerry Hughes, who killed us and many others, was 6'1" 255. Speed and athleticism can trump size. Let's hope he's got both.
K
KYCoug
The point I was making was not to compare him to a DE who can use his speed and athleticism to get around the corner but to compare him to a DT who would need more size and strength to control the interior line.



I trust Coach will use him where he can best be used but Defensive Linemen are not necessarily interchangeable you look for a different body type and skill set for the interior line than you do for a DE who has more space to operate. Jerry Hughes started out as a running back and used his speed to his advantage in getting around the corner. We are getting so many RB's and TE's I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them end up at DE.



Anyway like I said I trust in Coach, it's all good!



Go Cougs!

L Hatton

Louisville Ky
B
BerliNY
YBrit wrote:
He's also a wrestler http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/236265/269387-rumble-285-kesni-tausinga-bingham-vs-shawn-burton-deer-park-wa





He's also a rugby player for Highland.





He's an athlete.


I love having wrestlers on the D-line. It just makes so much sense. Thankfully Jan set an excellent precedent for having "undersized" wrestlers on the line, here's to many more to come!



I wouldn't mind giving a wrestler a shot on the O-line although I don't think it makes as much sense, especially for pass-blocking.
R
redneckjedi
I'm okay with the weight, I just wish he was taller. It seems like other teams get a lot more batted balls at the line than we do for some reason. The more height you have up front, the harder it is to throw to the short interior routes, and that takes a little pressure off your linebackers.
Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
BerliNY wrote:
He's also a wrestler http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/236265/269387-rumble-285-kesni-tausinga-bingham-vs-shawn-burton-deer-park-wa





He's also a rugby player for Highland.





He's an athlete.


I love having wrestlers on the D-line. It just makes so much sense. Thankfully Jan set an excellent precedent for having "undersized" wrestlers on the line, here's to many more to come!



I wouldn't mind giving a wrestler a shot on the O-line although I don't think it makes as much sense, especially for pass-blocking.


Actually, wrestlers on the O-line makes more sense than on the d-line. If there is one sport where balance and leverage is crucial it is wrestling.
C
craigoscarson
imuakahuku wrote:
YBrit wrote:
He's also a wrestler http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view_video/236265/269387-rumble-285-kesni-tausinga-bingham-vs-shawn-burton-deer-park-wa





He's also a rugby player for Highland.





He's an athlete.


I love having wrestlers on the D-line. It just makes so much sense. Thankfully Jan set an excellent precedent for having "undersized" wrestlers on the line, here's to many more to come!



I wouldn't mind giving a wrestler a shot on the O-line although I don't think it makes as much sense, especially for pass-blocking.


Actually, wrestlers on the O-line makes more sense than on the d-line. If there is one sport where balance and leverage is crucial it is wrestling.


While I agree that Oline can benefit from wrestling skills, I don't think there's a position more suited to those same abilities to get and maintain leverage than the nose tackle; particularly in our defense.

It's not a glamour position of sacks/tackles/ etc. (which is why I believe the Heimulis passed on us) but rather it's a position where a player can disrupt the opposition each and every play by simply doing their job, knocking the center back and getting enough penetration to force another block to help out.



I gotta believe that with all the bingham kids at byu and in the pipeline, that they're also making a major play for Harvey Langhi. Add the comfort of knowing a dozen or so of his future BYU teammates, a trip to Hawaii on the horizon and the excellent recruiting class from last year, I dont' see how Langhi can pass on us.



btw - imua, apparently Sae Tautu and Tigi Hill are very very good friends; to the point that Sae went to the islands for their prom. What do you know about Tigi and Tautu's connection to Kahuku?
T
TheRealPWride
Someone posted that you don't want such a short NT/DT. That's actually not true. Nose tackle/DT in the 3-4 is about leverage. His being a wrestler points to the fact he is learning/has learned to use that weight to push people around (or at least enjoys doing so.) Also, I think the same poster said he'd be going against Tackles which isn't true either. NT/DT goes exclusively against C and Guards, which tend to be shorter than tackles.
K
KYCoug
TheRealPWride wrote:
Someone posted that you don't want such a short NT/DT. That's actually not true. Nose tackle/DT in the 3-4 is about leverage. His being a wrestler points to the fact he is learning/has learned to use that weight to push people around (or at least enjoys doing so.) Also, I think the same poster said he'd be going against Tackles which isn't true either. NT/DT goes exclusively against C and Guards, which tend to be shorter than tackles.


Leverage or not I'm not sure how being a 6' NT can be an advantage at a major D1 school..I can't think of any Major D1 school that would go out of their way to look for a short 6' NT...you just haven't sold me on it being an advantage to have a short one? I remember a short Vietnamese guy at one of the Texas schools a few years back that did well but these days it's bigger, better, faster, stronger!!! I understand leverage and have played a bit of OG and C and the problem is in the interior line, even in a spread you don't have a lot of maneuver room to run your stunts and if the Oline know how to work together they can keep everything in front. I'm also not sure you'll see to many OG's or C's that are 6' 265lbs range unless it's at Air Force.



I honestly hope he does well and has a great carrier but leverage or not he'll be doing some heavy lifting.



Go Cougs



L Hatton

6'3" 280+ lbs

forty time...well anyone have a calendar!
T
TheRealPWride
I wouldn't say it's an advantage to be 6', but its not unheard of (that is probably the better way to explain what I meant.) Fuga is only 6'1, Dulan is 6'1 (played NT at times.)



Is it the opportune size? Not really. But can they anchor the line at that height? Id say yes.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.