Archived Topic

Now that we've had a few months to ponder it...

by Y 4 Ever · 3/26/2010

Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
Who wants to bring back the Royal Blue?



I was watching highlights of the BYU / Utah game yesterday....you know, to get my Football Fix in March...and I realized how much I LOVED those Royal Blue jerseys.



I used to be against the idea...but now, I say BRING BACK THE BYU BLUE!



So lets focus on the most important controversy brewing in provo right now...royal blue vs. navy blue.
A
ABYUFAN
I say navy blue, but with the option of royal blue on special occasions; I too was watching various highlights yesterday and I thought that the uniforms really do look better in the "deepest shade of royal" blue. The only reason I like the old royal blue is because that's what I grew up with. Other than that, it's not that appealing of a color to me.
B
BigCougsFan
No doubt the royal blue was awesome! We're 2 and 0 in the royal blues, against our arch nemesis and the PAC 10's runner up. Two very good opponents.



Navy blue was good for the era it was in, BUT I believe BYU football is now in the beginning stages of a new era(already in progress) and the royal blue would be a perfect fit for this up coming era.



Bring back the royal blue(too bad Bronco made it very clear the royal blue wasn't coming but, but was to celebrate BYU's 25 year anni of the only non-BCS school with a Championship).
L
Lawboy
Navy blue is a better color, more dominant. It is the better choice all around.
B
BigCougsFan
Lawboy wrote:
Navy blue is a better color, more dominant. It is the better choice all around.


I don't know... It's Utah St. Aggies to me.
Advertisement
M
Mingjai
I vote Navy blue as well, and I went to BYU during both royal and navy years. I can tell you that since they made the switch, more students started wearing more navy around because it's more-or-less a neutral color and can be worn with anything. As a fashion, royal blue is very 80s.



Leave royal blue as a special occasion thing.



If anything, I think the current shade of Navy should be lightened slightly and made more saturated.
S
SpiffCoug
I still maintain that regardless of what color the BYU uniforms are, the fans should wear WHITE to games. The BYU Miami game was on a few nights ago and everyone was wearing white. It's great color for BYU fans to wear. It's bright and drowns out other darker colors.
T
tmoney35
I'm for the Navy blue too, but would like to continue to see the royal blue for special occasions (bcs bowl specifically)


BigCougsFan wrote:
Navy blue is a better color, more dominant. It is the better choice all around.


I don't know... It's Utah St. Aggies to me.


I haven't examined them side by side, but I think Utah State's blue is even darker then the navy blue we use.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Navy blue is a better color, more dominant. It is the better choice all around.


Not in the stands. navy blue doesn't pop. royal blue does. It is more impressive if everybody is wearing royal blue than it is if everyone is wearing navy blue.



i am a big fan of the deep shade of royal blue!
D
Dcr36
Mingjai wrote:
I vote Navy blue as well, and I went to BYU during both royal and navy years. I can tell you that since they made the switch, more students started wearing more navy around because it's more-or-less a neutral color and can be worn with anything. As a fashion, royal blue is very 80s.


Jonnylingo beat me to it, but this is the reason I DISLIKE navy blue: while more people wear it, it doesn't jump out of the stands. It's dull, and is eaten up by any other color in a fan's ensemble. Besides, I want a color that the fans obviously CHOSE to wear to the game, not a color that coincidentally is the color of 30% of autumn jackets and hoodies.
Advertisement
G
gmj81
I'm in the "navy camp" but I like the idea of busting out the "royals" every couple of years for a special game.



Obviously navy doesn't pop as much as the royal in the stands (truthfully though the royal isn't that impressive either) but the navy definitely makes the players look tougher. Royal was kinda sissy. To combat the neutrality in the stands, I like the white out. White outs are always really impressive.
W
Wickchad
My favorite uniform is actually from 2001 with Staley and Doman. All Navy Blue including the helmets before they added the gold and white to the sleeves. Also after they got rid of the awful bibs. I'd love to see a throw back game with the 2001 uniforms sometime.
B
BigCougsFan
Wickchad84087 wrote:
My favorite uniform is actually from 2001 with Staley and Doman. All Navy Blue including the helmets before they added the gold and white to the sleeves. Also after they got rid of the awful bibs. I'd love to see a throw back game with the 2001 uniforms sometime.


LOL... The bibs. Who thought of that horrid idea??? Let's bring those back for the Utah game. We can say it's all in similitude of how horrible Utah is.
T
tmoney35
Wickchad84087 wrote:
My favorite uniform is actually from 2001 with Staley and Doman. All Navy Blue including the helmets before they added the gold and white to the sleeves. Also after they got rid of the awful bibs. I'd love to see a throw back game with the 2001 uniforms sometime.




I get sad inside every time I see or think or am reminded of those uniforms. They represent the dark days of modern BYU football
Y
YBrit
Notice they haven't put them on for auction yet?





They will be used for special occasion.



As long as we don't do the major D-bag all black. That should be left for tools like the SEC and Yewts
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
YBrit wrote:

As long as we don't do the major D-bag all black. That should be left for tools like the SEC and Yewts


I actually like the black look on certain teams. I think it looks cool on Utah and I thought it looked cool on Tennessee this year.



Black's not really a good fit with our palette, so I don't think we need to worry about our guys donning black. Next time BYU and Utah play, we should wear all white and they can wear all black. A metaphor for the duality of mankind or something.
Q
Qman
For football alone the royal blue is better. But the Navy blue superior for all the other uniforms.
R
rblack
Where do I mark, "I don't care as long as the Uniforms contain actual BYU players" :evil:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.