Archived Topic

Week of QB battle by the numbers we have.

by fifthqb · 3/21/2010

Advertisement
F
fifthqb
Heaps: 14 of 22 (64%) for 205 Yards, 3 TD's.

Nelson: 9 of 15 (60%) for 66 yards, 1 TD, and one fumble (for a td)

Lark: 10 of 18 (56%) for 74 yards, (1 called back TD), 2 Ints, 1, fumble.



Everyone seemed to be throwing around numbers about people blowing others away in completion and such so I thought I would tally the states, using a variety of sites to pull the information together from the first four days of pratice.



Also, some things we don't know: Which recievers were playing, Where the yards were gained (IE in red zone drills or just 11 on 11), how many yards actually came from passes downfield, yards negated by penaltys, ETC... ETC.. so I guess my point is we really don't know alot about what is really happening besides the numbers.



Impressions? Thoughts? Predictions?



Also let me know anything I missed....
D
Ddawg
My impression & thoughts @ this time. It appears Jake is starting to elevate & separate himself in the QB competition. But - as you state - the #'s are only part of the story. You must be there (as Bronco, Anae & Doman are). My gut feeling tells me that Riley & Jake will separate themselves. The QB starter will be ... who knows!! It's still way too early to tell. So much work to do - and we know so little.



I genuinely wish all 3 QB canditates good luck!! These are exciting times for Coug Football!!
B
BigCougsFan
I've been curious what the numbers were. Good job. I assume they are correct.



So I have a question what everyone thinks. Since we have four awesome QB's(Heaps, Lark, Nelson, and Munns). We do know one will get the starting job, one will be named back-up, and one will be 3rd string.



What's everyone's personal opinion that will happen with the QB's when the pecking order will be figured out??? Will the 3rd and 4th string transfer to another school? One run the Scout team, red shirt, or whatever???



I love it when we're in this type of situation. Before Max was named the starter it was between him and Cade Cooper. After the announcement Cade bolted for greener pastures and failed(I don't know how many schools he's attended in his college career, lost count at four). Now it's between four studs which increases BYU's odds of producing another great QB from BYU's QB factory.
C
clemdiggitydog1
my humble prediction,Heaps is the starter vs. Washington and we all forget this entire discussion in 6 months;he's got the tools and the mentality to be one of the best at his position to ever strap it on for our boys in blue.write it down.
C
Cougarbib
The last time I remember competition like this was when Tom Young was the 5th string QB. Ironically, Steve Clements, iirc, was a lefty that was a threat to run. He had transferred in from Texas or some such place. Round that out with John Walsh and Ryan Hancock iirc and that only leavs the 4th string QB, who transferred and whose name I can never remember. IIRC, Walsh got injured in Provo Vs Hawaii and Clements got injured on the very net play from scrimmage. Hancock carried them for several games, and then allso got injured. The 4th string QB was the only one who did not get a shot that very year - cuz he transferred. Tom Young, the 5th string QB, started the Bowl game and got the MVP Award in a narrow loss.



After all of that, Hancock gave up football to play pro ball with the California Angels, had a quick start, and then faded. The 4th string QB faded into obscurity somewhere else. Walsh left a year early for the NFL and then did not get drafted after being projected as a first round pick before the combines showed how slow he was. Clements never lived up to his hype. Tom Young's prime moment of Glory was that bowl game.



BYU has never had a great QB that did not get his shot - although McMahon whines that he should have gotten his shot a year sooner. But even McMahon got enough playing time to rewrite the NCAA record books. Stuff happens. These guys need to compete like there is no tomorrow - so that when tomorrow does come - they are ready.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.