Archived Topic

Where is the "BLESSING IN DISGUISE" dude

by cougarsunited · 3/15/2010

Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
Who was it that said the loss to UNM might be a blessing in disguise?



Here is my "I TOLD YOU SO" I said it then, there is NOTHING good that came out of that loss to UNM. As a matter if fact, if I could change ONE THING about this season it would be 2/3 more points in that game vs. UNM. We would have won the MWC regular season, we would have met UNLV at the earliest, if at all, in the tournament final. We would now be a 3-5 seed instead... I called it then, and it's true now. Nothing whatsoever good came of that game...



Hopefully we'll take care of Florida, but Kansas State is looking really good right now... Oh the blessing in disguise. From a prediction standpoint YOU have made the year's worst.
M
mizzoucoug
The blessing in disguise is that we can trust Loyd to run the team. Therefore, in order to throw off the great Billy Donovan, Rose will start Loyd and he'll play Zylstra at the 3 and bring Jimmer off the bench as a shooting guard. But the offense will run through Loyd and Jimmer will have to let the game come to him. And you heard it here first..there's no way Florida is game-planning for Zylstra.
B
BPcougs
I think you have to start Anderson also, 25 points and 15 boards later KState wont look so intimidating ;)
D
Dcr36
cougarsunited wrote:
Who was it that said the loss to UNM might be a blessing in disguise?



Here is my "I TOLD YOU SO" I said it then, there is NOTHING good that came out of that loss to UNM. As a matter if fact, if I could change ONE THING about this season it would be 2/3 more points in that game vs. UNM. We would have won the MWC regular season, we would have met UNLV at the earliest, if at all, in the tournament final. We would now be a 3-5 seed instead... I called it then, and it's true now. Nothing whatsoever good came of that game...



Hopefully we'll take care of Florida, but Kansas State is looking really good right now... Oh the blessing in disguise. From a prediction standpoint YOU have made the year's worst.


I recognize conflict is an essential element of sports discussion, and I know it hasn't been the greatest week for the Cougars, but why all the hostility today? Gosh.



At least one of the points of that thread still holds true: I still think Loyd is a good contributor. I would have given anything to have him make that last layup, but hey, he shot 62% against UNLV and was the only non-Jimmer to have double figures.
G
Gunk
mizzoucoug wrote:
The blessing in disguise is that we can trust Loyd to run the team. Therefore, in order to throw off the great Billy Donovan, Rose will start Loyd and he'll play Zylstra at the 3 and bring Jimmer off the bench as a shooting guard. But the offense will run through Loyd and Jimmer will have to let the game come to him. And you heard it here first..there's no way Florida is game-planning for Zylstra.


Zylstra is an animal.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Actually, I think Zylstra is a very good player who definitely contribute for the Cougs on the court. His problem is he's a 3 and is not better than Abouo or Haws. IMO, he could start for about half of the MWC teams (WYO, AF, CSU, TCU, Utah)
S
Short_Change
cougarsunited wrote:
Who was it that said the loss to UNM might be a blessing in disguise?



Here is my "I TOLD YOU SO" I said it then, there is NOTHING good that came out of that loss to UNM. As a matter if fact, if I could change ONE THING about this season it would be 2/3 more points in that game vs. UNM. We would have won the MWC regular season, we would have met UNLV at the earliest, if at all, in the tournament final. We would now be a 3-5 seed instead... I called it then, and it's true now. Nothing whatsoever good came of that game...



Hopefully we'll take care of Florida, but Kansas State is looking really good right now... Oh the blessing in disguise. From a prediction standpoint YOU have made the year's worst.


That was me and I still stand by my statement. Wait who is the guy that said now New Mexico will play in the west and BYU won't? Nice try buddy. I like our match ups and even though we're a 7 seed I think we have an easier route to the sweet 16 and beyond than any other MWC team. Plus we got to find out what Loyd, Davies, and Abouo can do. A lot of good came from that loss to UNM. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'll take the West bracket any day!
C
cougarsunited
Short_Change wrote:
Who was it that said the loss to UNM might be a blessing in disguise?



Here is my "I TOLD YOU SO" I said it then, there is NOTHING good that came out of that loss to UNM. As a matter if fact, if I could change ONE THING about this season it would be 2/3 more points in that game vs. UNM. We would have won the MWC regular season, we would have met UNLV at the earliest, if at all, in the tournament final. We would now be a 3-5 seed instead... I called it then, and it's true now. Nothing whatsoever good came of that game...



Hopefully we'll take care of Florida, but Kansas State is looking really good right now... Oh the blessing in disguise. From a prediction standpoint YOU have made the year's worst.


That was me and I still stand by my statement. Wait who is the guy that said now New Mexico will play in the west and BYU won't? Nice try buddy. I like our match ups and even though we're a 7 seed I think we have an easier route to the sweet 16 and beyond than any other MWC team. Plus we got to find out what Loyd, Davies, and Abouo can do. A lot of good came from that loss to UNM. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'll take the West bracket any day!


I agree with you 100% on the West bracket, and that was the only thing I predicted wrong, nice of them to stick us into the West, though that doesn't help us when we play K-State in front of a home crowd for them....

As far as finding out what Lloyd, Davies and Abouo can do, no difference, 2-3 more points vs UNM would have changed nothing about them. Fact is we're in the West, you are right, but getting to the regionals would have been SO MUCH more likely had we beaten UNM and ended up with a 3-4 seed, not to mention we would have been a back to back to back to BACK MWC champion, which now, we are NOT...



So here it is, if we get to Salt Lake, beating K-State, then I will be the first to admit that perhaps that loss wasn't too bad after all, until now, losing to UNM at home was the worst thing that happened all year.



I hope YOU ARE RIGHT!!!!
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Change, I for one understand your point, and I think there's some merit to the argument with regards to finding out who on our bench we can depend on to step up. That said, I hope you mean "any other MWC team" besides UNM, I mean, staring down the barrel of K State not 4 hours from Manhattan, on the off-chance we DO beat a decent Florida squad, is hardly a Montana/Marquette road. The "beyond" part I agree with you, but I'd have a hard time not seeing New Mexico in the Sweet 16. I'm still REALLY cautious about visualizing BYU in the round of 32, so the "beyond" part is iffy.
S
Short_Change
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
Change, I for one understand your point, and I think there's some merit to the argument with regards to finding out who on our bench we can depend on to step up. That said, I hope you mean "any other MWC team" besides UNM, I mean, staring down the barrel of K State not 4 hours from Manhattan, on the off-chance we DO beat a decent Florida squad, is hardly a Montana/Marquette road. The "beyond" part I agree with you, but I'd have a hard time not seeing New Mexico in the Sweet 16. I'm still REALLY cautious about visualizing BYU in the round of 32, so the "beyond" part is iffy.


Marquette is a great shooting team, especially from the 3 and the stripe. K-State isn't nearly as good of a shooting team. K-State is a lot like UNM, IMO but doesn't shoot quite as well. Both rebound well for their size but they aren't big. Playing in Oklahoma doesn't scare me either, even if they have more fans there than we do. KSU has 3 out of 5 losses at home! They also had a favorable road schedule in the Big 12 and easily could have had more losses.
Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
cougarsunited wrote:
Who was it that said the loss to UNM might be a blessing in disguise?



Here is my "I TOLD YOU SO" I said it then, there is NOTHING good that came out of that loss to UNM. As a matter if fact, if I could change ONE THING about this season it would be 2/3 more points in that game vs. UNM. We would have won the MWC regular season, we would have met UNLV at the earliest, if at all, in the tournament final. We would now be a 3-5 seed instead... I called it then, and it's true now. Nothing whatsoever good came of that game...



Hopefully we'll take care of Florida, but Kansas State is looking really good right now... Oh the blessing in disguise. From a prediction standpoint YOU have made the year's worst.


Despite what short change said, it was actually me haha. Perhaps you were on my side Short-Change? I can't remember.



Regardless, wow cougarsunited, what the hell did someone stick up your butt? I mean my goodness, lighten up man. All I was saying at the time was that it gave Loyd a lot of experience and that it would really boost his confidence (which as we have seen so far, it did). And believe it or not, people learn a lot more often times from losing than from winning.



Point being, you're an idiot if you think I was trying to say that it was a good thing we lost to UNM. I was merely pointing out the silver lining. Having said that, I now hope that Loyd hits game winning buzzer beaters against Florida and K State.
S
Short_Change
I guess it was you that mentioned it first. I just carried it on. I'm not sure who he was trying to call out though.
F
FurriousCougar
Short_Change wrote:
I guess it was you that mentioned it first. I just carried it on. I'm not sure who he was trying to call out though.


Haha alright. Well either way it was a stupid call out. :lol:
F
Florwood
So furrious and shortchanged, your point was proven today. As good as Fredette was (50% shooting, 37 points), without Loyd we lose thegame. And without the UNM game/loss, we wouldn't have had Loyd in position to score 26. Good call!



cougarunited, time to admit you were wrong?
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Well played, gentlemen, well played!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
*bows* Thank you, thank you* bows.



Of course he is just going to come on and say "we could have still won that NM game and discovered Loyd, blaa blaa blaa"



I'm just messing though, all in good fun.
C
cougarsunited
FurriousCougar wrote:
*bows* Thank you, thank you* bows.



Of course he is just going to come on and say "we could have still won that NM game and discovered Loyd, blaa blaa blaa"



I'm just messing though, all in good fun.


Dude, it's funny, I was reading your post and thought to myself... "well, we still would have discovered Lloyd had we beaten UNM" and then I read on and sure enough, you took the words right off my keyboard!!! :lol:



It's all good man, I am just glad that kid is playing the way he does.
F
FurriousCougar
cougarsunited wrote:
*bows* Thank you, thank you* bows.



Of course he is just going to come on and say "we could have still won that NM game and discovered Loyd, blaa blaa blaa"



I'm just messing though, all in good fun.


Dude, it's funny, I was reading your post and thought to myself... "well, we still would have discovered Lloyd had we beaten UNM" and then I read on and sure enough, you took the words right off my keyboard!!! :lol:



It's all good man, I am just glad that kid is playing the way he does.


Haha, that's awesome. It's a good day to be a Cougarfan :) I'm just glad that this time Loyd got the WIN in a close game where he played great.
S
scott715
To be honest I couldn't come back to this post until today. This one really ticked me off. It was like being on that other board that is unmentioned. Loyd was awesome today and the original post was spot on. His post was we gained something good out of that loss ven though it still hurt.



I hope we have a chance to recruit his brother from Las Vegas. last I saw we were not on the list of interested teams.
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
I hope we have a chance to recruit his brother from Las Vegas. last I saw we were not on the list of interested teams.

Rose passed on him. It was a difficult decision. He felt that we needed to recruit a center this year, not another guard. And now we're in the running for that huge LDS power conference transfer.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.