Archived Topic

Here's to a 8 seed....(hopefully)

by cougarsunited · 3/13/2010

Advertisement
C
cougarsunited
The true seed BYU should get in EVERY NCAA tournament gets almost automatically dropped one or two down. Right now, we are at best a 6-seed, which, come Sunday will likely be a 8 seed.... two losses to UNM, UNLV don't help matters either.



I am freakin' mad right now....
B
BroncoBot
cougarsunited wrote:
The true seed BYU should get in EVERY NCAA tournament gets almost automatically dropped one or two down. Right now, we are at best a 6-seed, which, come Sunday will likely be a 8 seed.... two losses to UNM, UNLV don't help matters either.



I am freakin' mad right now....

Sucks that UNLV is baaaaarely inside the top 50 for RPI. I'd say a 5-8 seed most likely.
F
FurriousCougar
cougarsunited wrote:
The true seed BYU should get in EVERY NCAA tournament gets almost automatically dropped one or two down. Right now, we are at best a 6-seed, which, come Sunday will likely be a 8 seed.... two losses to UNM, UNLV don't help matters either.



I am freakin' mad right now....


What's really gay is that while other teams above us have lost at full force to teams more lowly than UNLV on neutral courts and haven't dropped A SPOT, we will drop hard for losing an AWAY game, WITHOUT our 3rd highest scorer. If we drop hard for winning, I don't want to know what this will do.



Somehow though, I feel like UNM also losing tonight will help to make this loss look not quite as bad, and more like depth of the conference...maybe?
M
Mars


Against Texas A&M.
J
JamieVallen
I think I'd be super stoked with a 6 but I don't see that happening either... You're probably right about the 8 thing, but if I had to make an honest prediction. I bet we make it as a 7
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
Mars wrote:


Against Texas A&M.




If that happens, I swear I will do something I will regret
F
FurriousCougar
BYUROCKS wrote:


Against Texas A&M.




If that happens, I swear I will do something I will regret


You may regret it...but will we? ;) :whistle: :whistle: If it's for the greater good BYUROCKS...just do it. You will go down in BYU sports history.
I
Italics
the most painful part about all this is that we blew a great opportunity. The last few seasons we just simply got a spot we didn't deserve.



This year, we actually controlled our own destiny and had an extremely valid shot at a 3-5 seed. Totally blew it. I'm going go go with a 7 seed. We'll end up with a team like Louisville, and probably get embarrassed.
C
CannonCougar85
We'll get a 7 or 8 seed and be matched up against a team who, like us, are one of the best teams in their conference but just blew it in their tournament.

If the team we play has some really athletic big guys then we are screwed. I fear this more then anything.
M
Mars
Italics wrote:
This year, we actually controlled our own destiny and had an extremely valid shot at a 3-5 seed. Totally blew it. I'm going go go with a 7 seed. We'll end up with a team like Louisville, and probably get embarrassed.

Or Wake Forest.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
This year, we actually controlled our own destiny and had an extremely valid shot at a 3-5 seed. Totally blew it. I'm going go go with a 7 seed. We'll end up with a team like Louisville, and probably get embarrassed.

Or Wake Forest.

or UConn
I
Italics
Uconn won't be in it
B
BroncoBot
Italics wrote:
Uconn won't be in it

you're right. Wow, they fell hard there at the end of the season. I didn't see those 4 L's in a row.
I
Italics
but a team like Maryland or Georgia Tech would suck. I watched Georgia Tech play today. Excellent inside game. They would eat us up.



Let's face it, we need our big guys to have one of their rare great offensive games to get a win or two in the NCAA's. What we've been seeing happen too much lately is our guards feeling like they have to do everything themselves. And let's face it: Jimmer has basically been alone out there for a few games now.
S
SpiffCoug
Italics wrote:
Let's face it, we need our big guys to have one of their rare great offensive games to get a win or two in the NCAA's. What we've been seeing happen too much lately is our guards feeling like they have to do everything themselves. And let's face it: Jimmer has basically been alone out there for a few games now.


You sure about that last statement? I seem to recall 20 point games from Davies, JT, Abouo and Emery within the last week.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Offense from the bigs is just icing. What we need is for them to shut guys down inside. UNLV was getting it done inside and out last night.



Davies and Miles got eaten up inside last night. The perimeter zone got destroyed a couple times as well. Way too easy for UNLV to get to the paint. I don't feel like BYU matched the level of intensity on defense that UNLV was showing last night.
I
Italics
kitic77 wrote:
Let's face it, we need our big guys to have one of their rare great offensive games to get a win or two in the NCAA's. What we've been seeing happen too much lately is our guards feeling like they have to do everything themselves. And let's face it: Jimmer has basically been alone out there for a few games now.


You sure about that last statement? I seem to recall 20 point games from Davies, JT, Abouo and Emery within the last week.


And it rarely comes when it counts. Teams like Utah and AFA don't count.
G
Gunk
Italics wrote:
Italics wrote:
Let's face it, we need our big guys to have one of their rare great offensive games to get a win or two in the NCAA's. What we've been seeing happen too much lately is our guards feeling like they have to do everything themselves. And let's face it: Jimmer has basically been alone out there for a few games now.


You sure about that last statement? I seem to recall 20 point games from Davies, JT, Abouo and Emery within the last week.


And it rarely comes when it counts. Teams like Utah and AFA don't count.


Jimmer carried the team against TCU on Thursday, but before Thurs he was a contributor at TCU and at Utah and was a no-show against UNM (health reasons). So, I hardly think one stellar performance by Jimmer against TCU on Thursday constitutes being "alone out there."



Jimmer is a bit of a ball hog. The team plays entirely different when he is on the court. If he's on the court it's largely spread the floor and stand-back-and-watch for the rest of the team. I'd much rather have 4 different players in double figures than one player with half the team's points.



I'd be really surprised if we get a 6th. I'm guessing we'll get an 8. At least UNM lost. That may help us some.
S
Schmoe
I don't see how being a top 25 rpi and ranked in the top 20 is "blowing it" and deserving a 7 seed.
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
I don't see how being a top 25 rpi and ranked in the top 20 is "blowing it" and deserving a 7 seed.

I guess this is why I was so steamed when BYU played like crud against @ UNLV during the season. That game alone gave the impression that the cougars were overrated and that they had just been exposed. BYU can't afford to lose games like that and expect not to drop when selection sunday rolls around. They don't have the luxury of losing two games to a terrible utah team and still getting an 8 seed.



Getting beat a second time in Vegas didn't help either but at least BYU showed up for that game.



I think we all know that BYU could have added a LOT to their resume with a few more wins. None of BYU's losses were bad losses, but BYU did nothing more than prove that they could finish with a mediocre record vs top 50 RPI teams out there. UNM on the other hand delivered more often than not.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.