Archived Topic

Campaigning for OOC games-SOS

by scott715 · 3/9/2010

Advertisement
S
scott715
Great Falls is doing a good job trying to get a BYU game there. Should we do the same thing to get better OOC games? For example should we email the Gonzaga AD and ask for s series with BYU? Is it dishonest to poss as a Zag or express interest attending the game. I for one would consider going to Spokane for the game (3 hour trip). Or suggest a good city for a neutral site. Who else would be good to get a game against? Ithink I would start with the NCAA tournament list, or the RPI top 100 list. Maybe we should start with the tournament director teams.



I would favor another matchup with a good conference like we did with the MVC this year. It also would be nice if we could get the games on network tv.



This should help improve our SOS in the future.
S
stuckinbig10country
Gonzaga said no to a 3 game deal just recently. I think we were even giving them a home game with 2 neutal site games (one in Seattle and one in SLC).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
GolfDiveNCougs
scott715 wrote:
Who else would be good to get a game against? Ithink I would start with the NCAA tournament list, or the RPI top 100 list.

Tom and Dave are way ahead of you, scott. Two years ago, Holmoe was quoted as saying his or Rose's office had contacted the AD's office of EVERY team in the top 100 RPI that year to pitch a home and home. Most calls they were laughed off the phone.



Playing a perennially DOMINANT team like BYU is suicide. Because of the ESPN politicking, you get no respect for winning against BYU, and you get crucified for losing to them. Expect more of the same.



:angry:
C
craigoscarson
thank goodness our conference is improving, if people are going to dodge us ooc, we'll just have to dominate the conf
S
scott715
What I was suggesting is fans emailing AD's to get a game. I was thinking of emailing Gonzaga's AD. In fact here it is roth@athletics.gonzaga.edu. I heard a rumor that they are building a new Bball arena. Extra seats to fill. Plus it is close to me. I would consider attending a game there.
Advertisement
K
kjjson
scott715 wrote:
I for one would consider going to Spokane for the game (3 hour trip).

This would be great for me as I would come out a winner on two ends. I could say "Honey, I think we should go visit your parents....oh and by the way, BYU is playing in Spokane and since we will just "happen" to be there..."
S
scott715
Should BYU play Utah St a home and away each year? Their SOS is much better than the 300+ teams that we play. Plus it would benefit Utah Bball. Maybe even make the team more money. For that matter do the same with Weber St?
S
scott715
This is our chance now. Some teams did not get into the tournament because they SOS was poor. One team that comes to mind is Virignia Tech who played no one out of conference. Call them up and see if they want to schedule a series to try to improve their chances of getting a bid in the future. He could also contact some teams that were disappointed with their seeds due to SOS. I like the idea of playing Siena in NY next year, maybe we are asking them to play here as a return date.
S
scott715
With the Jimmer media frenzy this is a great time to schedule OOC games for next year. A game in Great Falls would be a sellout. Some pressure needs to be put on Gonzaga to schedule some games. has there been any press lately there about the stalled negotiations? Where else should be targeted?
I
imuakahuku
I say concentrate on Sienna, put the screws to them for a "neutral" site game near Jimmer's home town (1-1.5 hrs away from his home town at most)
Advertisement
S
scott715
Siena should be all for it. They were a quick one and done and it would help our SOS. I would favor a MWC vs Atlantic 10 dual like we have with MVC too.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.