Archived Topic

CBS bracketology

by BroncoBot · 3/9/2010

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/collegebasketball-projecting-the-field



I hate it, but this is kind of what I expect out of the selection Sunday. BYU a 6 seed playing Mississippi in their backyard (new orleans). Perfect. If BYU did get sweet 16 they would be in SLC though.



New mexico a 2 seed! (Santa Barbara)

UNLV an 8 seed. (Wake Forest)

SDSU a 12. (Tennessee)



Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but I see this being more realistic vs Lunardi.
B
BYUBALLIN
i like espn matchup ILL vs BYU. Seeing iam from Chicago i would love this game. Week worth of trash talking with my boys from back home. I like ILL hoops but i live and die with my Cougars. I just wish that BYU fans and students were more like ILL fans when it comes to hoops.
B
BYULV
I think our seeding is still in flux. Here's how I see it playing out:



BYU gets a 6-7 seed if they lose in the first round to TCU

BYU gets a 6 seed if they lose to UNLV (or SDSU) in the second round.

BYU gets a 5 seed if they lose to UNM in the finals but keep it close

BYU gets a 5 seed if they beat anyone else in the final round

BYU gets a 4 if they beat SDSU then UNM in final two rounds

BYU gets a 3-4 seed if they beat UNLV and UNM in the final two rounds.



-- If BYU does beat both UNLV & UNM I predict they will make it to the elite 8. Once they get the monkey off their back and are on a winning streak through the MWC tournament, they will be hard to beat. Anyone who is matched up with BYU after this scenario will have their hands full.
F
FurriousCougar
BYULV wrote:



-- If BYU does beat both UNLV & UNM I predict they will make it to the elite 8. Once they get the monkey off their back and are on a winning streak through the MWC tournament, they will be hard to beat. Anyone who is matched up with BYU after this scenario will have their hands full.




A bold prediction, I like the enthusiasm :) I pretty much agree with you on all your seeding scenarios as well.
J
JamieVallen
BYULV wrote:

BYU gets a 4 if they beat SDSU then UNM in final two rounds

wait aren't those two on the same side of the bracket? Or am I missing something?
Advertisement
B
BYULV
jmvcougar wrote:

BYU gets a 4 if they beat SDSU then UNM in final two rounds

wait aren't those two on the same side of the bracket? Or am I missing something?


Correct, my mind is still lagging, but my reasoning stands except beating Utah instead of UNLV maybe only gets us a 5 seed :~(



Unfortunately, I also think losing anything more than a close game in the finals will be detrimental to the team's psyche . . . the result will be a difficult first round game, which I think they win, but only 60% chance of doing it. If making the second round I don't think they would win. So my hope rests on BYU being the MWC tournament champions.
M
mizzoucoug
I like the current bracket on CBS a lot. Georgia Tech in the 1st round would be our toughest game en route to the Elite 8. Baylor? Gonzaga/Nova? Bring it on.
Y
Y&Brit
Regardless of how we begin or finish, BYU will be playing as far as possible with a seeding of 6-11. The NCAA hates mormons and it's not about to change. To me this is the least interesting part of the entire basketball season.
S
Schmoe
I'm already ready to be pissed off on selection Sunday when we get stuck with a 6-8 seed. Anything higher will be a very pleasant surprise (but will be 100% deserved). It doesn't make any sense for a team in the top 20 to get anything lower than a 5 seed.
J
JamieVallen
BYULV wrote:
BYULV wrote:

BYU gets a 4 if they beat SDSU then UNM in final two rounds

wait aren't those two on the same side of the bracket? Or am I missing something?


Correct, my mind is still lagging, but my reasoning stands except beating Utah instead of UNLV maybe only gets us a 5 seed :~(



Unfortunately, I also think losing anything more than a close game in the finals will be detrimental to the team's psyche . . . the result will be a difficult first round game, which I think they win, but only 60% chance of doing it. If making the second round I don't think they would win. So my hope rests on BYU being the MWC tournament champions.


Oh I gotcha, yeah I was worried a bit there for a second. I mean for some reason I HATE playing SDSU, especially after we beat them twice in a year, and they have something to prove coming into the tourney. Plus I don't know who said it but I agree that SDSU loves playing in Vegas. I don't think I want another crack at a team like that, but yeah you're right, I think if we get to the championship game and somehow play NM we HAVE to win. Not just for my sake as a fan, but I think it will be a big boost going into the tournament.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
What's weird is that the CBS guy is usually much kinder to the Cougars than Lunardi. Last year, this guy had us as a 4 or 5 most of the year, where as Lunardi had us as a 5, 6 or 7 most of the time.



Lunardi was only a spot or 2 off, while CBS was 3 or 4 off. Maybe CBS guy has picked up on what the rest of us have: drop BYU 2 spots from where they should be and put them in the most remote location for their fanbase available while simultaneously matching them up with a team closer to the destination.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.