Archived Topic

Gonzaga - slow ugly unathletic basketball

by craigoscarson · 3/9/2010

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
If anyone is watching St. Mary's v Gonzaga... those teams are making BYU and UNM look like #1 seeds... how the hell Gonzaga is ranked, I'll never know/
C
CougarClaw
not just ranked...but ranked ahead of US in the coaches poll.



Let them LOSE!
B
BYUBALLIN
iam not a zags fan at all but, they are better than they are showing tonight
F
FurriousCougar
BYUBALLIN wrote:
iam not a zags fan at all but, they are better than they are showing tonight


While I will admit they do not look as good as normal tonight, they aren't all that much better than this normally either. I said on this board months ago about how Gonzaga was not that good, and that time would tell - indeed, time did tell as they lost to two HORRIBLE conference teams.
F
FurriousCougar
craigoscarson wrote:
If anyone is watching St. Mary's v Gonzaga... those teams are making BYU and UNM look like #1 seeds... how the hell Gonzaga is ranked, I'll never know/


Maybe you didn't mean both teams, but "those teams" makes it sound like you mean they both were playing crappy? I thought Saint Mary's looked good tonight, and have thought they looked good all season. I definitely agree with you though that Zaga is crap.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Gonzaga is ranked because of the Elite 8 run they made in the tourney. Sure it was eight years ago, but still!
Y
Y&Brit
Isn't this Ray Giacoletti's team now? An assistant maybe?



I wonder who Boylen will destroy next.
Q
Qman
Gonzaga does have some serious size. They could give BYU trouble inside.
C
craigoscarson
Qman wrote:
Gonzaga does have some serious size. They could give BYU trouble inside.


Keep in mind I'm talking about this years Gonzaga team which is a shadow of what they were a few years ago.



Gonzagas bigs do not scare me; they just aren't quick or explosive.

We dont' have trouble with slow size (just ask Utah) we have trouble against the quick 6'7"-6'9" athletes IF.... they also have quick guards that can shoot the 3 (UNLV, UNM). Gonzaga reminds me of Utah they have the same types of slow guards and lumbering bigs; and they simply could not run against us.



To respond to the Saint Marys post above; they also did not impress me. I think we'd abuse both of those teams on a neutral court. Chris Miles would have no problem guarding Samhain, and our guards would destroy Saint Marys slow guys. (which is why smc matches up so well with Gonzaga, their guards are slow too)



Gonzaga did BYU a huge favor by getting blown out though; I think before that, we were competing with them for a potential 3-4 seed (potentially in the west) and now the Zags just begged the committee to make them a 7-9 seed inspite of their ranking.



Another thing that Gonzaga has shown is lapses in every game they've played. BYU tees off on teams that don't play defense and let their opponents go on runs. We don't have a single bad loss because of it... Gonzaga has 4 ugly losses.
S
Schmoe
The Zag bigs got eaten alive by a 6'8" white power forward from Saint Mary's. They don't scare me.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Keep in mind that we blew out a San Fran team that beat Gonzaga once and gave them a tight game in Spokane, I do not fear Gonzaga and would be tickled pink if someone could schedule them as our 1st round matchup.
B
bigbluepuma
Y&Brit wrote:
Isn't this Ray Giacoletti's team now? An assistant maybe?



I wonder who Boylen will destroy next.


I saw Jack-o-lantern on the sideline in the video of the game.
S
SpiffCoug
They were talking on the radio yesterday how if you're a BYU fan you should want no part of St. Mary's OR Gonzaga. I'll take both of them in the first two rounds and watch us go to the Sweet 16. Both would be great matchups for BYU.
S
Schmoe
Qman wrote:
The Zag bigs got eaten alive by a 6'8" white power forward from Saint Mary's. They don't scare me.


Umm that 6'8" guy was 6'11"



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27054


You're right, must've looked at the wrong stat line or something. Still not scared of Gonzaga one iota.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.