Archived Topic

HDR

by snoscythe · 3/8/2010

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Anyone ever mess around with HDR software? I want to try my hand at it, but I have no clue where to begin or what to try. Any input is appreciated.
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
I really didn't know anything about this until you posted, but its something I'm going to try and play with now myself.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging#Software


Yeah, it's pretty cool stuff....we have a good camera and I'm pretty proficient with Photoshop, but I want to get into the tonemapping stuff, but I don't want to throw $$ at a program or Adobe plug-in that's not going to give me what I want.



I want to do something with LES when I am back in Provo later this year.
G
Guest
First test of it, using my cheap camera, on a day when the range of light was severely limited, but it still did some nice things to the picture.



Original Image:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/S5leFiARrfI/AAAAAAAADNQ/tnxetuGeNIw/Eastern%20Mountains%20pt2%20004%5B6%5D.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



HDR Image:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/S5leGmneOSI/AAAAAAAADNY/FFnFTxZ5_EQ/photoshop_HDR2%5B7%5D.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Sammich
hawkwing wrote:
First test of it, using my cheap camera, on a day when the range of light was severely limited, but it still did some nice things to the picture.



Original Image:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/S5leFiARrfI/AAAAAAAADNQ/tnxetuGeNIw/Eastern%20Mountains%20pt2%20004%5B6%5D.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



HDR Image:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_nAOCDTtaq-o/S5leGmneOSI/AAAAAAAADNY/FFnFTxZ5_EQ/photoshop_HDR2%5B7%5D.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

That looks less like HDR processing and more like a basic Levels function from photoshop. Try the software on a rock formation with a sunset in the background and you'll get a much better idea of how well the software works.



I honestly don't think you'll ever get great results with HDR imaging software though---in even the most successful images I've seen it looks like a monkey with a hammer could have done as well with a few layers in almost any image-editing program. If you really want beautiful photos that simulate the high-dynamic range, using your own eyes and doing it manually will give you better results every time.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Sammich, you're right about these results being less than stellar, unfortunately all I had was an extremely gray and cloudy day, so the light wasn't what you'd really want for that. I hope to get better examples soon.
S
snoscythe
Here are my first three attempts at something. I would post the originals, but they are in RAW and still on the memory card in the camera in the other room. You'll just have to take my word for it that it was a pretty hazy/bland day. I don't have the time currently to pick a nice overcast day to go out and shoot, so I have to take what I can get. The fun for me is in the tonemapping after the HDR "smash-up."



http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/snoscythe/AlicoHDR-2-1.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/snoscythe/AlicoHDR-1.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/snoscythe/AlicoHDR-3-1.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Very cool, Sno!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.