Archived Topic

Conference Awards

by billbillbillbill · 3/8/2010

Advertisement
B
billbillbillbill
I think I heard that the Conference Awards were being awarded on the MTN at 2 today. That is now. Anyone watching who wants to fill in the poor workers of Cougar Nation out there?
B
billbillbillbill
From Jay Drews Blog:


New Mexico’s Darington Hobson is the MWC men’s basketball Player of the Year, the league announced a few minutes ago.

Hobson also earned MWC Newcomer of the Year honors. He transferred from the College of Eastern Utah.

Hobson edged the league’s leading scorer, BYU’s Jimmer Fredette.

Fredette earned first-team honors, along with New Mexico’s Dairese Gary and Hobson, San Diego State’s Kawhi Leonard and UNLV’s Tre’Von Willis.

Utah’s David Foster won the league’s Defensive Player of the Year award and BYU’s Jonathan Tavernari won the Sixth Man of the Year honor.

New Mexico’s Steve Alford earned Coach of the Year honors for the second-straight year. San Diego State’s Leonard is the Freshman of the Year

BYU’s Emery earned second-team honors, along with Colorado State’s Andy Ogide, UNM’s Roman Martinez, SDSU’s Malcolm Thomas and TCU’s Ronnie Moss.

Third-team honorees are BYU’s Tavernari and Tyler Haws, Wyoming’s Desmar Jackson, UNLV’s Chase Stanback and Utah’s Carlon Brown.
S
snoscythe
POY = Hobson

COY = Alford

Newcomer of the Year = Hobson

DPOY = Foster

6th Man = Tavernari



First-Team All Conference:

Fredette, Hobson, Gary, Leonard, Willis



Second-Team All Conference:

Emery, Ogide, Martinez, Thomas, Moss



Third-Team All Conference:

Tavernari, Haws, Jackson, Stanback, Brown
S
snoscythe
Note that the DPOY isn't even a third-team all conference selection. What a joke.
B
billbillbillbill
I can handle the choice of Hobson over Fredette, but Foster over Emery? Blocked shots do not equal turnovers every time. A steel or a rebound does equal an instant turnover. Emery averaged more rebounds than Foster and of course had more steels. I don't agree with that selection.
Advertisement
B
billbillbillbill
snoscythe wrote:
Note that the DPOY isn't even a third-team all conference selection. I can't believe that neither Foster nor Emery made at least third-team. What a joke. I guess all the media voters care about is ppg, forgetting that, as Drew noted in defending his picks, half the game is played on defense.


Emery was 2nd team
S
Short_Change
I'm not going to argue whether or not Jimmer should have gotten MVP or not, but I do think this will add some fuel to Jimmer's fire. Hopefully this motivates him to be a better player and to come back next year.
C
craigoscarson
The only thing I dont' agree with is that Emery should have won defensive player of the year.... blocked shots mean nothing if nobody in the conference is afraid to take it to you. Jackson was a game changer, Foster is just a freak that got abused.



Emery got robbed.
S
snoscythe
billbillbillbill wrote:
Note that the DPOY isn't even a third-team all conference selection. I can't believe that neither Foster nor Emery made at least third-team. What a joke. I guess all the media voters care about is ppg, forgetting that, as Drew noted in defending his picks, half the game is played on defense.


Emery was 2nd team


LOL....right after I posted that he made 2nd team, I flub it. Thanks.
L
Lawboy
Emery should have won DPOY Award. Foster was an amazing shot blocker, but Emery always took the best offensive threat on the other team and did well.



Not shocked Jimmer did not win. Hobson beat Jimmer head to head 2x, and lead his team to the MWC title. I think that is what wrapped it up for him.



As for the rest, I really do not care. I just want this BYU team to win the MWC tourney, and make a deep run in the NCAAs. National respect comes with NCAA tourney wins. It is time we got some of that action.
Advertisement
C
coachK
What a joke.



From theMWC>com

"Foster, a 7-3, 255-pound sophomore center from Lake Forest, Calif., averaged a league-best 3.7 blocks per game against MWC opponents. He recorded a block in 14 of the 15 Conference games he played in this season, including 12 outings with multiple rejections. Foster's 55 blocks in Conference play ranks third all-time on the league's single-season charts. "



Near as I can tell Emery's 46 steals in conference play ranks FIRST all-time.
C
craigoscarson
coachK wrote:
What a joke.



From theMWC>com

"Foster, a 7-3, 255-pound sophomore center from Lake Forest, Calif., averaged a league-best 3.7 blocks per game against MWC opponents. He recorded a block in 14 of the 15 Conference games he played in this season, including 12 outings with multiple rejections. Foster's 55 blocks in Conference play ranks third all-time on the league's single-season charts. "



Near as I can tell Emery's 46 steals in conference play ranks FIRST all-time.


apparently they didn't see Brandon Davies just abuse Foster last week...
F
FurriousCougar
Foster over Emery???



:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
K
kjjson
So let me ask, who would you rather have on your team:

Fredette or Hobson? -- I would take Fredette.



Who would you rather have as your best defender:

Emery or Foster? -- I would take Emery.



I understand Hobson winning, though I think it would be curious to see coaches vs. play by play vs. media.

I don't understand Foster over Emery, for reasons mentioned previously by others.
F
FurriousCougar
kjjson wrote:
So let me ask, who would you rather have on your team:

Fredette or Hobson? -- I would take Fredette.



Who would you rather have as your best defender:

Emery or Foster? -- I would take Emery.
[/b]



Exactly! Right on. These are the exact same questions I asked myself, and like you, I can understand Hobson I guess, but I would want Fredette. However, Foster over Emery?! Not a single coach in the conference would draft Foster before Emery if you asked them, except maybe Boylen, but he would be kidding himself and he likes to lose anyway.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Wasn't Fredette the POW more times than anyone in the history of the league this year. If he doesn't have the most alone, he's tied for it.



Maybe I'm just being too much by the numbers, but shouldn't the player that had the most POW honors ever in a season be the POY? And in the games against BYU, it was Gary, not Hobson that made the biggest difference.



For some reason blocks are a sexier stat than steals, and Foster had a ton of blocks. Apparently not every coach would take Emery over Foster, because they had a vote in this as well.



If you can't tell, I'm a little more pissed about POY than DPOY. The conference recognizes Emery as an overall better player than Foster.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
i will be the first then to disagree with poa going to hobson. nm beat byu by 2 points each time. had fredette been full strength we would have beat them the second time and wrapped up the mwc championship. overall stats make the case even more so. who would you rather have on your team? I say Fredette. He SMOKED the competition. Hobson is good, but Fredette is better. Getting sick really hurt him.



I really don't care though. I hope we meet them in the tourney championship game and pound them. I am still VERY worried about beating unlv in the second round. when was the last time we beat unlv at unlv?
C
CougarClaw
I think the media usually falls prey to the "best player" on the "best team" mentality regardless of who the best player was period.

NM beat BYU twice.

Hobson's is their best player.

check box.
K
kjjson
CougarClaw wrote:
I think the media usually falls prey to the "best player" on the "best team" mentality regardless of who the best player was period.

NM beat BYU twice.

Hobson's is their best player.

check box.


But probably each one of the media probably said when BYU beat them (except New Mexico) that Fredette is one of the top players in the country. I believe it came down to exactly what you said.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.