Archived Topic

@ TCU

by Mars · 3/6/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


Horned Frogs are as bad in basketball as they are good in football.

Seriously, Boise State has had a much better men's basketball team over the past 5 years, and the Broncos aren't great.

How badly will BYU smash these toads? Make your picks NOW!



http://www.cougarcorner.com/bball_predictions.php
B
BroncoBot
While TCU may be bad, I bet they show better than the runnin' utes at home.
N
northerncougar
My son's Deacon's Quorum basketball team would show better than Utah did at home. I have watched every rivalry game in the last 21 years and that was, by far, the worst showing by the pukes that I have seen. And I loved every second of it.



I agree with Mars that we should absolutely destroy them, but I don't think we will. I think we win easily and comfortably, but I think the team is looking to be ready for next week and TCU is just a small road bump in the way. We will take care of business and rest the starters as much as possible.



I think we win by 20, and could easily win by 35. Easily.
S
Short_Change
We will most likely play them again in the first round of the tourney. That should be interesting playing the same team two games in a row.
B
BroncoBot
Short_Change wrote:
We will most likely play them again in the first round of the tourney. That should be interesting playing the same team two games in a row.

That's actually kind of scares me. Hopefully no letdown for either game. TCU didn't look too bad earlier against @MC.
Advertisement
G
GolfDiveNCougs
declocoug wrote:
We will most likely play them again in the first round of the tourney. That should be interesting playing the same team two games in a row.

That's actually kind of scares me. Hopefully no letdown for either game. TCU didn't look too bad earlier against @MC.

Agreed. I have a habit of harping on it, but it's true that it's HARD to beat a team 3 times in a season. Last year Air Force almost took the 3rd from us. San Diego State did.



And TCU is a reasonably talented team that has the misfortune of not being able to get it all together too often. Teams like that make it a habit of pulling it together when it counts. They've actually exceeded expectations in the last few conference tournaments.



In 07 they beat New Mexico before falling in a closer-than-expected game against BYU.

In 08 they were SCREWED by the referrees after playing the game of their lives, out of a win they deserved over UNLV. SEVENTEEN OF TWENTY-THREE FROM RANGE!!!

And last year they played eventual tourney winner to 3 points.



That's not bad. Yes, indeed, BYU must be very cautious in both of the next two games against TCU.
B
BroncoBot
If I was coach I'd almost just play the subs for the last game of the year at TCU. BYU's locked up 2nd seed and can't get first. TCU couldn't game plan against BYU's best guys and I think our subs could hold their own. The starters would be that much fresher next Thursday.
C
craigoscarson
TCU got worse this year from last because their most talented player, Zvonko Buljan, got worse. He made next to no improvements from last year (almost taking a page from the Plaisted,Miles book on how not to improve during your career).



They have talent (Moss and Buljan are capable) but they have no depth and usually can't finish games.



I don't expect this to be a 50 point beatdown; not to mention that BYU will see these guys again next week, but it has the potential to be competitive.
C
craigoscarson
declocoug wrote:
If I was coach I'd almost just play the subs for the last game of the year at TCU. BYU's locked up 2nd seed and can't get first. TCU couldn't game plan against BYU's best guys and I think our subs could hold their own. The starters would be that much fresher next Thursday.




BYU has almost a week before they play TCU again; I'd actually play Jimmer a great deal (if he's not still sick) and give him a chance to get his confidence and stroke back, and if they did get a sizable lead, I'd like to see Rose try the Loyd, Fredette, Emery combo and if it will work in game situations. He's obviously not going to attempt that vs UNLV or UNM if he can't see the actual results in a game situation.



I think we'd also like to see them feed Davies and Hartsock some; simply because we need a post prescence to make any run in the next 2 weeks.
G
Gunk
craigoscarson wrote:
TCU got worse this year from last because their most talented player, Zvonko Buljan, got worse. He made next to no improvements from last year (almost taking a page from the Plaisted,Miles book on how not to improve during your career).



They have talent (Moss and Buljan are capable) but they have no depth and usually can't finish games.



I don't expect this to be a 50 point beatdown; not to mention that BYU will see these guys again next week, but it has the potential to be competitive.


How about a 30 point beat down.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
Gunk wrote:
TCU got worse this year from last because their most talented player, Zvonko Buljan, got worse. He made next to no improvements from last year (almost taking a page from the Plaisted,Miles book on how not to improve during your career).



They have talent (Moss and Buljan are capable) but they have no depth and usually can't finish games.



I don't expect this to be a 50 point beatdown; not to mention that BYU will see these guys again next week, but it has the potential to be competitive.


How about a 30 point beat down.


Yeah who knew after we were down a dozen+ ;)



Bottom line, our depth was a major key this year in getting to 30 wins... (which we'll get next week)



TCU was winded and dead and we were still pushing it.



If they can't compete with us at their place, they're in trouble in the tourney.



If we shot our 3s like we did today ; there's not a game that we wouldn't have won.
C
CougarClaw
It also helps that TCU was playing four or five fewer bench players than we were.



And that bench was freaking AWESOME, but still, we were definitely more rested during the game.
M
Mars


Congrats to Schmoe, in 1st place and with the best prediction this game as well (28 points)!



http://www.cougarcorner.com/bball_predictions.php



Tavernari, Emery, Abouo, and Fredette combined for 85 points! And Davies pulled down a fantastic 8 rebounds as well.



4 of 5 starters got a lot of rest...

Abouo played 26 minutes to Haws' 8.

Davies played 24 minutes to Miles' 7.

JT played 30 minutes to Hartsock's 15.

Loyd played 26 minutes to Fredette's 22.

And Emery led the team with 31 minutes.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=201003060576



The first round of the MWC tourny (quarter-finals) against TCU is this Thursday. Is anyone going?
S
stuckinbig10country
declocoug wrote:
If I was coach I'd almost just play the subs for the last game of the year at TCU. BYU's locked up 2nd seed and can't get first. TCU couldn't game plan against BYU's best guys and I think our subs could hold their own. The starters would be that much fresher next Thursday.


This is the difference between college and professional sports. The pros can rest starters after a spot is sown up. Spots in the NCAA tournament aren't sown up until next Sunday. Every win is needed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
stuckinbig10country wrote:

This is the difference between college and professional sports. The pros can rest starters after a spot is sown up. Spots in the NCAA tournament aren't sown up until next Sunday. Every win is needed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Unless of course the tourney expands to 96 teams. Then every win really isn't needed.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
If I was coach I'd almost just play the subs for the last game of the year at TCU. BYU's locked up 2nd seed and can't get first. TCU couldn't game plan against BYU's best guys and I think our subs could hold their own. The starters would be that much fresher next Thursday.


This is the difference between college and professional sports. The pros can rest starters after a spot is sown up. Spots in the NCAA tournament aren't sown up until next Sunday. Every win is needed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I realize every game counts, I just figured BYU's bench (especially after seeing the game) could have won that game with sparse minutes coming from the starteres.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.