Archived Topic

Latest ESPN Bracketology

by kjjson · 3/1/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Nice. 4 teams in would be awesome. Good conference depth makes me feel better. Looking at teams in the tourney bracket today, BYU is 5-4. If ASU gets in, 6-4, but that is unlikely.
F
frdbtr
So since BYU always drops 3-4 seeds lower then projected, I would expect a 6, 7 or maybe even back in an 8 seed.
W
Wickchad
I'd rather be a 4 or a 6. Stay out of the 5 spot. 2-3 of the 5 seeds lose in the first round every year.



6 seed gets a winable match up for the first game. A tough match up for the second game against the 3 seed. If you luck out you get an over rated 3 seed. Win those two games and you don't have to face the one seed like you would if you were in the the 4 or 5 spot.
L
Lawboy
The latest FoxSports bracket has BYU as a #6, UNM as a #3 and UNLV as a #9. No SDSU. So the love out there is not universal, and some prognosticators are not loving on BYU right now. Honestly, we need to win the MWC for a better seed. It is all about the seeding right now.



By the way, if SDSU does not make it in, our record is 3-4 v tourney teams right now. Not so awesome.



http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/NCAA-tournament-bracket-prediction-030110
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
So if we had beaten NM would we be projected as a 2 seed right now like they are? I think 3 was the most we could ever hope for.
C
cougarsunited
We could still make the regionals in Salt Lake if we win out and beat New mexico in the tournament. The 2 seed is obvioulsy dead, but winning out could still put us at #3, especially if we beat NM and UNLV.
F
frdbtr
BYU beating NM and UNLV down in vegas is about as likely as them being selected as a 2 seed. I don't see it happening. Both those teams are more athletic then BYU is and Jimmer might take the tourney off with a "tummy ache"
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
BYU beating NM and UNLV down in vegas is about as likely as them being selected as a 2 seed. I don't see it happening. Both those teams are more athletic then BYU is and Jimmer might take the tourney off with a "tummy ache"

Ouch. While I don't have a problem with Jimmer pulling himself out of the game (he was absolutely worthless vs NM) I do think you are right about BYU's chances in Vegas and their seeding. I don't think a 2 seed was ever in the cards with the selection committee's bias and BYU's SOS this year.

I'd say a 5 is the ceiling at this point if BYU wins out and a 6 or 7 likely if BYU drops a game between now and the NCAA tourney.
S
stuckinbig10country
Wow. It amazes me how people can question Jimmer's toughness. He had a little more than a "tummy ache", and it was Rose's decision to not put him back in (which looked pretty good with how Loyd played).



Jimmer has been on IV fluids off and on since Saturday.



Now, BYU needs to win out to get in the western regional. The committee could definitely put New Mexico in the Midwest or South region (whichever plays in Dallas). BYU is looking at a 5 or 6 seed this year (lowest is a 7).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
beauso79
declocoug wrote:
BYU beating NM and UNLV down in vegas is about as likely as them being selected as a 2 seed. I don't see it happening. Both those teams are more athletic then BYU is and Jimmer might take the tourney off with a "tummy ache"

Ouch. While I don't have a problem with Jimmer pulling himself out of the game (he was absolutely worthless vs NM) I do think you are right about BYU's chances in Vegas and their seeding. I don't think a 2 seed was ever in the cards with the selection committee's bias and BYU's SOS this year.

I'd say a 5 is the ceiling at this point if BYU wins out and a 6 or 7 likely if BYU drops a game between now and the NCAA tourney.


How can you say that we're a 5 seed if we win out?? We're currently ranked 14th and 15th in the country in multiple polls. That's at minimum a 4 seed if you do the simple math
B
BroncoBot
beauso79 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
BYU beating NM and UNLV down in vegas is about as likely as them being selected as a 2 seed. I don't see it happening. Both those teams are more athletic then BYU is and Jimmer might take the tourney off with a "tummy ache"

Ouch. While I don't have a problem with Jimmer pulling himself out of the game (he was absolutely worthless vs NM) I do think you are right about BYU's chances in Vegas and their seeding. I don't think a 2 seed was ever in the cards with the selection committee's bias and BYU's SOS this year.

I'd say a 5 is the ceiling at this point if BYU wins out and a 6 or 7 likely if BYU drops a game between now and the NCAA tourney.


How can you say that we're a 5 seed if we win out?? We're currently ranked 14th and 15th in the country in multiple polls. That's at minimum a 4 seed if you do the simple math

Because the selection committee doesn't use logic. That's how.

And frankly, I think that BYU might be a little (gasp) overrated at 14.
S
stuckinbig10country
beauso79 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
BYU beating NM and UNLV down in vegas is about as likely as them being selected as a 2 seed. I don't see it happening. Both those teams are more athletic then BYU is and Jimmer might take the tourney off with a "tummy ache"

Ouch. While I don't have a problem with Jimmer pulling himself out of the game (he was absolutely worthless vs NM) I do think you are right about BYU's chances in Vegas and their seeding. I don't think a 2 seed was ever in the cards with the selection committee's bias and BYU's SOS this year.

I'd say a 5 is the ceiling at this point if BYU wins out and a 6 or 7 likely if BYU drops a game between now and the NCAA tourney.


How can you say that we're a 5 seed if we win out?? We're currently ranked 14th and 15th in the country in multiple polls. That's at minimum a 4 seed if you do the simple math


In recent history, I can think of two teams that were ranked in the top 25 that didn't get into the tournament. UNLV with JR Rider (they weren't selected because it was rumored they would be ruled ineligible) and Utah State, who lost in their conference tournament that year after dominating the conference all year.



The NCAA claims to use their own index for tournament selection (RPI), but the cases where that have not been followed are too numerous to count. RPI works for a team if they are in a big conference, but SOS is the way they get around that (even though its factored into the RPI) to let in, let's say, Arizona last year over any number of mid-major programs. Granted, they did win a game in the tournament, but anyone who watched any of their first round opponent knew it was a stretch for them to be a 5 seed.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Wow. It amazes me how people can question Jimmer's toughness. He had a little more than a "tummy ache", and it was Rose's decision to not put him back in (which looked pretty good with how Loyd played).



Jimmer has been on IV fluids off and on since Saturday.



Now, BYU needs to win out to get in the western regional. The committee could definitely put New Mexico in the Midwest or South region (whichever plays in Dallas). BYU is looking at a 5 or 6 seed this year (lowest is a 7).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Actually, I question his heart and desire. BYU was basicly in the conference championship game and he sits because he has a stomach ache. I just remember Michael Jordon basicly beating the jazz all by himself and then being carried from the court to the locker room in the finals a few years ago. Now Jimmer is obviously not Michael Jordon but I am sure that Michael's stomach was not any less upset but he found a way to play and play well. Lloyd played well (and frankly has played well any time he was given extended minutes on the floor this year) so it lessened the sting but does anyone in their right mind not believe that if Jimmer were in there draining 3's like he has all year that BYU would not have won that game? I love Jimmer for his talent but I no longer trust him to play through discomfort to try to win the big games.
S
SpiffCoug
Discomfort and the flu are one thing. An upset stomach attack is very different.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
Wow. It amazes me how people can question Jimmer's toughness. He had a little more than a "tummy ache", and it was Rose's decision to not put him back in (which looked pretty good with how Loyd played).



Jimmer has been on IV fluids off and on since Saturday.



Now, BYU needs to win out to get in the western regional. The committee could definitely put New Mexico in the Midwest or South region (whichever plays in Dallas). BYU is looking at a 5 or 6 seed this year (lowest is a 7).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Actually, I question his heart and desire. BYU was basicly in the conference championship game and he sits because he has a stomach ache. I just remember Michael Jordon basicly beating the jazz all by himself and then being carried from the court to the locker room in the finals a few years ago. Now Jimmer is obviously not Michael Jordon but I am sure that Michael's stomach was not any less upset but he found a way to play and play well. Lloyd played well (and frankly has played well any time he was given extended minutes on the floor this year) so it lessened the sting but does anyone in their right mind not believe that if Jimmer were in there draining 3's like he has all year that BYU would not have won that game? I love Jimmer for his talent but I no longer trust him to play through discomfort to try to win the big games.

Until we know exactly what Jordan and Jimmer were going through (impossible) this is also impossible to determine. I'm fine with Jimmer on the bench if BYU gets his first half performance last Sat. Not saying it was his fault, but he wasn't doing anything out there.



*Personally I'd like to think that what Jimmer was going through was WAY worse than Michael Jordan's situation who was simply turning a sour stomach into a publicity stunt. Being a BYU and a Jazz fan might explain that.
S
Short_Change
frdbtr wrote:
Wow. It amazes me how people can question Jimmer's toughness. He had a little more than a "tummy ache", and it was Rose's decision to not put him back in (which looked pretty good with how Loyd played).



Jimmer has been on IV fluids off and on since Saturday.



Now, BYU needs to win out to get in the western regional. The committee could definitely put New Mexico in the Midwest or South region (whichever plays in Dallas). BYU is looking at a 5 or 6 seed this year (lowest is a 7).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Actually, I question his heart and desire. BYU was basicly in the conference championship game and he sits because he has a stomach ache. I just remember Michael Jordon basicly beating the jazz all by himself and then being carried from the court to the locker room in the finals a few years ago. Now Jimmer is obviously not Michael Jordon but I am sure that Michael's stomach was not any less upset but he found a way to play and play well. Lloyd played well (and frankly has played well any time he was given extended minutes on the floor this year) so it lessened the sting but does anyone in their right mind not believe that if Jimmer were in there draining 3's like he has all year that BYU would not have won that game? I love Jimmer for his talent but I no longer trust him to play through discomfort to try to win the big games.


You sound very foolish right now. You have no idea what Jimmer or Jordan felt. You are questioning one of the best competitors in BYU history who already played through mono this year. Wow! Whatever he was feeling, which we'll never know, must have been really bad.
M
Mars


Georgetown's leading scorer also sat out a home loss last week due to a stomach virus.

Those who question this are stupid.
F
frdbtr
Short_Change wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Wow. It amazes me how people can question Jimmer's toughness. He had a little more than a "tummy ache", and it was Rose's decision to not put him back in (which looked pretty good with how Loyd played).



Jimmer has been on IV fluids off and on since Saturday.



Now, BYU needs to win out to get in the western regional. The committee could definitely put New Mexico in the Midwest or South region (whichever plays in Dallas). BYU is looking at a 5 or 6 seed this year (lowest is a 7).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Actually, I question his heart and desire. BYU was basicly in the conference championship game and he sits because he has a stomach ache. I just remember Michael Jordon basicly beating the jazz all by himself and then being carried from the court to the locker room in the finals a few years ago. Now Jimmer is obviously not Michael Jordon but I am sure that Michael's stomach was not any less upset but he found a way to play and play well. Lloyd played well (and frankly has played well any time he was given extended minutes on the floor this year) so it lessened the sting but does anyone in their right mind not believe that if Jimmer were in there draining 3's like he has all year that BYU would not have won that game? I love Jimmer for his talent but I no longer trust him to play through discomfort to try to win the big games.


You sound very foolish right now. You have no idea what Jimmer or Jordan felt. You are questioning one of the best competitors in BYU history who already played through mono this year. Wow! Whatever he was feeling, which we'll never know, must have been really bad.


Hmmm, I read reports that Jordon was taking IV's at halftime to get his hydration level back up since he could hold nothing down. I think it was pretty serious. Those of you who think it was a publicity stunt are discrediting one of the greatest performances of all time due to the conditions. I am not blaming the NM loss on Jimmer. I just don't understand how anyone with any competative fire would have allowed themselves to stay on the bench. I saw a coach/trainer go up and ask him something during the game and saw him shake his head (assuming that the coach was asking him if he felt good enough to go into the game). You guys can call me stupid or whatever for asking these questions but I think they are valid. How many times did you see Karl Malone come back onto the court after rolling an ankle, or John Stockton (since you guys don't like the Jordon references). If you really want to win, you get out there and compete and help your team, you find a way. Mono and the other ailments that he had during the season are one thing, a belly ache is another.
S
Short_Change
You prove your foolishness once again. Whether or not Jordan was on an IV doesn't matter to me. You still have no idea what Jordan or Jimmer felt. I never even discredited Jordan. If Jimmer played through mono and other ailments that's enough for me not to question his desire or toughness. Walk in his shoes and then talk.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.