One of the better complete games I have ever seen from BYU. I think we all knew that we needed to have a near flawless game to win. A few TVRC thoughts:
We won't face another defense like this one. Yes the running game struggled, but it got just enough. Lopini's dive for the go-ahead touchdown was huge. I have thought about how to react to the offense's struggles, and I conclude with the fact this was the best defense we will see all year. Hats off to Baylor, they may go sweep the Big12 again, but we'll see what OK State has to say about that.
Stubbornness. When both teams are tired, and it's overtime, and the game is just a brawl of physical effort, the more stubborn team wins. We found a way to win, even after two field goal misses. Teams that can find a way to win in spite of their own mistakes are high caliber. See for example, Alabama v Texas.
That "gadget" play. I love that ARod reached deep into the playback at the perfect time. Baylor had us with several 3 and outs, and our run game just about completely stuffed. To anyone trying to defend the lateral pass to Jaren, who ran behind a monster of a man 6'6" 325 Kingsley Suamataia...good luck. As that play developed and I saw the O-line out in space blocking, I thought nothing could stop BYU from getting the TD. That brings a confidence that the team can always find a way to advance the ball. Huge call ARod. Incredible execution of that play.
No turnovers. This team knows how to protect the ball. Even 1 fumble from BYU = a loss. This one needed ball security for 60+ minutes, and the team delivered.
Stepping up. Apparently fellow fans, our team has depth. This is one part of the whole to getting to that next level, with NY6 bowls, or contending in the Big12. Kalani is building a better program and the ceiling is getting higher.
Recruits. I was never a D1 caliber athlete, but if I was, and I attended this game with dozens of others, oh man it would be hard to experience what these recruits did on game night, and to say, nahhh. I love that we got another 4* recruit committed. We need it. We need every one. I see success bringing more success. Having so many recruits being at this game was huge for the program, and seeing a W against the defending Big12 champion, amidst a loving and supportive program culture...that is where I would want to go.
BYU is on the up everyone. It feels like the floor for this season is now 9-3, but with what we saw late Saturday night, I think anything is possible.
The season outlook. We beat Baylor, so I am feeling much more confident about Oregon. I'll go out on a limb and as of 9/12 say we may only drop 1 of ND, Arkansas, and Oregon, which means a very special season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cougs do run the table, but there is a lot of ball left to play.
Go Cougs. Incredible game.