Archived Topic

Game 1 @ USF

by byufan4ever · 8/30/2022

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Here's the depth chart (which Sitake originally told the media to figure it out themselves lol)


Depth Chart USF Offense.PNG
Depth Chart USF Defense.PNG
Depth Chart USF Specialists.PNG

According to KSL here are the changes to the one dropped at Media Day in June:



At running back, all of the ORs are gone. Miles Davis won the third running back spot. Davis received much praise throughout camp from BYU offensive coordinator Aaron Roderick.



The tight end spot added an OR next to Masen Wake. While also removing the fullback position altogether.



In the least shocking development of fall camp, BYU removed the OR at left tackle. Potential first-round NFL draft pick Blake Freeland, and now team captain, won that spot decisively. That’s putting it lightly.



Over on the defensive side at defensive end, Fisher Jackson and Weber State transfer Logan Lutui moved above Alden Tofa.

Then at the tackle spot, Alema Piliami was removed altogether, and in replace of him was Bruce Mitchell, a returned missionary from South Summit.



A significant development was at this position, where Lorenzo Fauatea earned an OR next to Gabe Summers and him. Fauatea had an excellent camp and is one of the top players along the line for BYU entering the season.



Finally healthy, after dealing with an off-season back injury that sidelined him, Fauatea appears ready to make an impact as a full-time defensive tackle.



The flash linebacker position added Tavita Gagnier. A former Tooele native, Gagnier has been trending up the depth chart since he suffered a season-ending injury last year. Gagnier took the spot of Chaz Ah You, who is not on the depth chart but is still with the program on the 124-man roster.



Talented freshmen linebackers Bodie Schoonover made the depth chart at MIKE, and Tate Romney checked in at the ROVER linebacker spot.



A subtle but interesting development is at strong safety. Former Orem High defensive back Ethan Slade earned the third string spot over Talan Alfrey.



Slade has earned high praise from Ed Lamb as one of the most improved players in the program. Last year, he had two interceptions in a scrimmage, and this year he showed playmaking ability throughout camp.



On the perimeter at cornerback, Evan Johnson and Zion Allen, a pair of young freshmen, were removed. In replace of them were Jakob Robinson and speedster Jacob Boren.



Over on special teams, Talmage Gunther moved up to second-string holder over Hayden Livingston. At kick returner, Miles Davis and Jacob Boren were removed in favor of Hobbs Nyberg and Talmage Gunther.
B
byufan4ever
Game Predictions



Vanquish The Foe: BYU 23, USF 20

Athlon Sports: BYU 42, USF 10

ESPN: 64.8% to win

KSL: BYU by 7



I don't have the stats, but it seems that we don't do that well on the East Coast. What scares me is that USF has Baylor transfer Gerry Bohanon at QB. He lead the Baylor Bears to the Big 12 title, as well as a Sugar Bowl victory over Ole Miss last season. This is going to be a tight one and I'm siding with VTF with a 3 point victory.
S
scott715
4pm EDT on ESPNU. I will be in London. I wonder if I will be able to get the game.
B
byufan4ever
scott715 wrote:

Preview



https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2022/9/2/23319530/byu-vs-south-florida-game-preview-usf-football


Great preview. Another good VTF article Previewing South Florida with USF expert My takeaways: USF has a lot of transfers. Talented players from bigger programs, but they haven't played together. According to 247Sports, South Florida had the 32nd ranked transfers for 2022. They also have a new OC and DC. The Daily Stampede predicts Cougars win 45-27.
Advertisement
S
scott715
New DC and OC will hurt them. I did not know that.



I hear Gunner is out for the game.
S
Sammich
I knew this would be one of the easier games on our schedule, but I was not expecting this start. Seems like BYU always starts the season a little slow in the first game.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Incredible first half. Can't ask for much better.



Tooley's pick six was the dagger, but that opening play 😃



Hope everyone stays healthy. The rout is on. I like Jaren's reads and poise. Katoa and Brooks in the backfield and the multiple tight end sets are hard to defend. This offense is legit, and dare I say, a pleasure to observe.



I wonder if we see Conover in the 4th Q. I mean this is an old fashioned beat down.
S
scott715
I'm in UK and fell asleep on the delay. Just saw that we won. Very nice.
B
BoiseBYU
Solid solid win. Hall threw sharp balls. Brooks and Katoa are a solid tandem. The defense was quite stout. Kick off coverage was the only area where we looked shaky. It took a while but a fun game to watch.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
The kickoff coverage was OK on the first 2 or 3 kickoffs--we stopped them near the 20 to 25. But the Bulls figured a better scheme for the return. At that point, we should have kicked for the endzone.
B
byufan4ever
My thoughts:



We were terrific and any critiques are nit picks. I was worried that this would be close and we blew them out of the water. Score on the first play. Defensive TD. 38 straight points! Sitake is known for easing up on the reigns with a big lead so I'm not surprised that USF scored at some point at home. 50 points in a game opener in the Eastern time frame? I would not have believed that if you told me it before the game!



Chris Brooks looks likes the real deal. At least against a sorry defense. And he has to have the biggest biceps on the team! 8) The running game was dominant, thank you OL! Our leading receiver was Chase Roberts a Freshman. Passing game was not spectacular, but very good.



I'm an open critic of our DC, but our defense played terrific as well. They allowed 14 points (1 TD is on the ST) and got a pick six themselves for a net of just -7 points. Most of yards and points allowed were when the game was well out of reach and many bench players were in the game. We even recorded a sack so that was a nice surprise!



USF is really really bad. Too bad the box score doesn't show dropped passes. They could have had another two scores if they don't drop those. That safety had me just feeling sorry for them. Understandably USF fans want their head coach gone now.



My only real critique is Hall still not throwing a tight spiral. But as long as he's completing passes I guess it doesn't really matter, but it's just not pretty to look at. And the Int was totally on him.



And why wasn't Hall taken out of the game? Perfect opportunity to get Conover some reps.



Oh, and can someone else please do the kickoffs?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.