Archived Topic

Why Can't We Be Like The Pit?!?

by benchwarmer · 2/28/2010

Advertisement
B
benchwarmer
So I know that the crowd isn't the most important part of the game, and I am in no way using this as an excuse for the outcome of the game today.



But seriously people. At the Pit, those Lobo fans gave our boys hell and I really don't think we returned the favor. I understand that a lot of people go to the games to sit back and enjoy the afternoon, but when the #10 team in the country comes to town you should be on your feet and yelling until your face turns blue more than once or twice in the last five minutes.



While I was in the student section, I kept looking over at Snake and all the other Lobos that came out and was a little embarrassed of my fellow Cougs. Really? When we're either leading or behind by a couple we've gotta help bring more energy! I couldn't BELIEVE no one was standing (besides the SS) for most of the second half.



22,000+ people pack the stands and we should be able to let them know where to hang it.



I really don't understand, am I missing something?
I
Italics
This will sound bigoted, but: It's a bunch of middle-aged to old mormons. Sucks, but that's just how it is. "Getting into the game" just isn't most of their thing.
J
JamieVallen
I say in order to purchase tickets at BYU you should have to take a test to prove that you can hit a certain required decibel to buy your tickets, and those who do not use that voice should be banished to the outside ring of the MC to watch the game on the tvs, and students or a group of William Wallace's should take your spot.
C
CannonCougar85
Italics wrote:
This will sound bigoted, but: It's a bunch of middle-aged to old mormons. Sucks, but that's just how it is. "Getting into the game" just isn't most of their thing.


That is so true. Old people that have been coming to the games for 50 years that don't care about wearing BYU apparel but they give money to the Cougar Club so we all let it slide. I really wish BYU would let the student section wrap around the entire court for 15 rows or so and then put the old people behind them like Duke does but that will never happen in a million years.



I also wish BYU would build a 10-12,000 seat arena for basketball so that the fans are closer to the action. Much more intimidating then a half full MC. They could use the MC for really big games like Utah and today. This will never happen either but it is my dream.
G
Gunk
Because other than the students, the majority of BYU fans go to the game because watching "the BYU" play basketball on Saturday would be a great family activity.
Advertisement
B
BYUROCKS
Italics wrote:
This will sound bigoted, but: It's a bunch of middle-aged to old mormons. Sucks, but that's just how it is. "Getting into the game" just isn't most of their thing.


It is the truth, the donor seats have killed us.
G
gmj81
Most of the old fogies don't like sitting that close anyway. They want to look down on the action. They really should put students all around the court for the first ten rows or so.
C
craigoscarson
BYU has had more success in the the Pit the last 10 years than UNM has had at the MC.



The crowd wasn't the difference, our rebounding and lack of aggressive play after the 10 minute mark was. Jimmers illness and the refs didn't help much either.
L
Lawboy
I just want to point out that the crowd was so good, so into it, so loud, that players on the court could not even hear the whistle blown. UNM players talked about how the floor was shaking at times. Sorry, but that is an amazing crowd if you ask me. Maybe not perfect, but was amazing. It was LOUD. Reminded me of back in the late-80's when BYU played UTEP and Wyoming and other ranked teams in the MC. Back when BYU was still a great hoops school. Saturday was a great hoops day in Provo, except for the result.



By the way, if you want to be Like "The Pit", I pass. Loads of beer, drunkness and crewdness. And that is just the cheerleaders...HA!
S
stuckinbig10country
That was the loudest that I have ever heard the crowd through the TV. There were several times where play didn't stop when the whistle blew, and the noise didn't stop, even when UNM made a basket. It got a little quieter, but was still loud.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
benchwarmer
Lawboy wrote:
I just want to point out that the crowd was so good, so into it, so loud, that players on the court could not even hear the whistle blown. UNM players talked about how the floor was shaking at times. Sorry, but that is an amazing crowd if you ask me. Maybe not perfect, but was amazing. It was LOUD. Reminded me of back in the late-80's when BYU played UTEP and Wyoming and other ranked teams in the MC. Back when BYU was still a great hoops school. Saturday was a great hoops day in Provo, except for the result.



By the way, if you want to be Like "The Pit", I pass. Loads of beer, drunkness and crewdness. And that is just the cheerleaders...HA!


I agree, it did get super loud at times and I definitely don't want to be the ACTUAL Pit :sick: , but the thing that bothered me the most is that we needed something like Mikey's dunk to get REALLLY loud. After something like that, the whole crowd yelled and screamed all during NM's possession,and it really had an impact.



I know I might be asking to much for the crowd to be that loud the whole game, but it would be awesome. But, maybe following after those Lobo cheerleaders is the only way that would happen. ;)
G
gmj81
Exactly. There were maybe like three or four times where the crowd got super loud. But overall the game wasn't anywhere near as loud as even ten other games I've attended. It seems like when BYU is the underdog, that's when the fans get super loud. But when BYU is the supposed favorite then the crowd just expects them to win without any help. And obviously BYU should not have been the favorite, because they needed some noise and instead the crowd for 90% of the game just expected BYU to win without their help.



I know it's hard to stay loud the whole game especially when they use timeouts to try and quiet us down but come one people, at the very least we need to be creating some kind of noise whenever the opponent is on offense. Every time they are on offense. And crazy loud whenever they are closer than 5 points. Insanely loud when they are winning. Take a break when the Cougars are on offense for all I care just stay loud when they are on D.
J
jonnylingo
Italics wrote:
This will sound bigoted, but: It's a bunch of middle-aged to old mormons. Sucks, but that's just how it is. "Getting into the game" just isn't most of their thing.


I was noticing it on tv. some people were even sleeping. despite this our home record says a lot about how much support we get at home. while its different than the pitt hte results in the win column seem to be as good or better for playing in the marriott center.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.