Archived Topic

UNM's Steve Alford- Anyone else notice this?

by Mars · 2/26/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


New Mexico Head Men's Basketball Coach, Steve Alford-

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2010/02/24/topper-alford.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6300000/lost-jack-shephard-6328956-1280-960.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">





Hopefully his team looks lost in Provo. Then he can punch his assistant coach in the face, and pull down Gary by his hair. :D
S
Schmoe
I don't really see it.
B
BYULV
Are these the posters on your bedroom wall? How surprising, I would have pegged you as a Twilight guy ;)
J
JamieVallen
Anyone have any idea what he said when he cussed out JT after the game when the teams were shaking hands? I know I'll hear it eventually seeing as I have a tid bit of insight when it comes to JT, but I guess I'd rather not wait. Here's to hoping we get another crack at the Ditry New Mexico hobos in the tourney!
G
Gunk
jmvcougar wrote:
Anyone have any idea what he said when he cussed out JT after the game when the teams were shaking hands? I know I'll hear it eventually seeing as I have a tid bit of insight when it comes to JT, but I guess I'd rather not wait. Here's to hoping we get another crack at the Ditry New Mexico hobos in the tourney!


What I heard on the radio was JT wasn't congratulating all the UNM guys or was talking a bit of trash to some of them after the game, so Alford to the opportunity to chew JT out.



Personally, I think it was rather childish of both of them. I'm sure we'll here what happened from both sides.
Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
Ah I see... Well yeah I'd have to agree with you on that. I noticed that JT almost got in a fight with one of the lobo player closer to the end of the game, I wondered if it had something to do with that. I also really believe as a coach you don't ever take that route. These guys are still kids and they'll do and say annoying things. I don't think ever as a coach no matter how provoked you get you should stoop to one of the player's level, when they're running their mouth, but I'm sure we'll hear an official apology of some kid by the end of the week, and he probably end up with a repremend (or whatever it's called, which is basically just a slap on the wrist) and there won't be much more to it.
G
Gunk
jmvcougar wrote:
Ah I see... Well yeah I'd have to agree with you on that. I noticed that JT almost got in a fight with one of the lobo player closer to the end of the game, I wondered if it had something to do with that. I also really believe as a coach you don't ever take that route. These guys are still kids and they'll do and say annoying things. I don't think ever as a coach no matter how provoked you get you should stoop to one of the player's level, when they're running their mouth, but I'm sure we'll hear an official apology of some kid by the end of the week, and he probably end up with a repremend (or whatever it's called, which is basically just a slap on the wrist) and there won't be much more to it.


Gibson I believe threw an elbow at JT rather purposely after the whistle when the game was tied at 80. JT cried foul, the refs looked at the replay and deemed it wasn't done out of malice. JT of course didn't agree. Gibson went over to shake hands with JT and apologize. JT gave him the cold shoulder and then chucked up a three pointer 5 feet behind the arch in retaliation...we all know how that worked out for us.
S
Schmoe
Gunk wrote:
Ah I see... Well yeah I'd have to agree with you on that. I noticed that JT almost got in a fight with one of the lobo player closer to the end of the game, I wondered if it had something to do with that. I also really believe as a coach you don't ever take that route. These guys are still kids and they'll do and say annoying things. I don't think ever as a coach no matter how provoked you get you should stoop to one of the player's level, when they're running their mouth, but I'm sure we'll hear an official apology of some kid by the end of the week, and he probably end up with a repremend (or whatever it's called, which is basically just a slap on the wrist) and there won't be much more to it.


Gibson I believe threw an elbow at JT rather purposely after the whistle when the game was tied at 80. JT cried foul, the refs looked at the replay and deemed it wasn't done out of malice. JT of course didn't agree. Gibson went over to shake hands with JT and apologize. JT gave him the cold shoulder and then chucked up a three pointer 5 feet behind the arch in retaliation...we all know how that worked out for us.


Oh, give it a rest, JT is not the cause of all our problems and he was right, Gibson's a dick.
G
gmj81
JT's feet were set and he was open. What more do you want? He makes that shot 70% of the time when he's set. What's more New Mexico wasn't letting us inside at all. And when we did manage to get it inside, the officials didn't call the hacks doled out by the Lobos.
S
Schmoe
Oh, by the way, I just saw several replays of the Alford-JT confrontation, and Alford is a douchebag. JT is shaking hands with other players and Alford seeks him out and yells something at him, JT throws his hands up to the side and says "What did I do?" and Alford screams "You're an asshole!" then turns around and emphatically high fives one of his assistants in a smug "I sure told him" manner. JT was even the one who went to the opposing locker room to apologize and in Alford's post game interview he didn't apologize or take any responsibility upon himself.



UNM has quickly become my second least favorite team in the MWC (only behind the Utards) since firing Rocky. I kind of understand them being such pricks, though, since they live in the sh**hole that is Albuquerque, have the poster child for crack babies as their #1 fan, and only get any national attention when someone from their school makes a total ass of themselves, so I guess I just shouldn't worry about it and pray that they become decent people when they move out of the buttcrack of America that is New Mexico.
Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
Schmoe wrote:
Oh, by the way, I just saw several replays of the Alford-JT confrontation, and Alford is a douchebag. JT is shaking hands with other players and Alford seeks him out and yells something at him, JT throws his hands up to the side and says "What did I do?" and Alford screams "You're an asshole!" then turns around and emphatically high fives one of his assistants in a smug "I sure told him" manner. JT was even the one who went to the opposing locker room to apologize and in Alford's post game interview he didn't apologize or take any responsibility upon himself.



UNM has quickly become my second least favorite team in the MWC (only behind the Utards) since firing Rocky. I kind of understand them being such pricks, though, since they live in the sh**hole that is Albuquerque, have the poster child for crack babies as their #1 fan, and only get any national attention when someone from their school makes a total ass of themselves, so I guess I just shouldn't worry about it and pray that they become decent people when they move out of the buttcrack of America that is New Mexico.

Haha I lived in Albuquerque in the summer a few years back... and you're pretty much dead on
F
FurriousCougar
Schmoe wrote:
Oh, by the way, I just saw several replays of the Alford-JT confrontation, and Alford is a douchebag. JT is shaking hands with other players and Alford seeks him out and yells something at him, JT throws his hands up to the side and says "What did I do?" and Alford screams "You're an asshole!" then turns around and emphatically high fives one of his assistants in a smug "I sure told him" manner. JT was even the one who went to the opposing locker room to apologize and in Alford's post game interview he didn't apologize or take any responsibility upon himself.



UNM has quickly become my second least favorite team in the MWC (only behind the Utards) since firing Rocky. I kind of understand them being such pricks, though, since they live in the sh**hole that is Albuquerque, have the poster child for crack babies as their #1 fan, and only get any national attention when someone from their school makes a total ass of themselves, so I guess I just shouldn't worry about it and pray that they become decent people when they move out of the buttcrack of America that is New Mexico.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C
CannonCougar85
Schmoe wrote:
Oh, by the way, I just saw several replays of the Alford-JT confrontation, and Alford is a douchebag. JT is shaking hands with other players and Alford seeks him out and yells something at him, JT throws his hands up to the side and says "What did I do?" and Alford screams "You're an asshole!" then turns around and emphatically high fives one of his assistants in a smug "I sure told him" manner. JT was even the one who went to the opposing locker room to apologize and in Alford's post game interview he didn't apologize or take any responsibility upon himself.



UNM has quickly become my second least favorite team in the MWC (only behind the Utards) since firing Rocky. I kind of understand them being such pricks, though, since they live in the sh**hole that is Albuquerque, have the poster child for crack babies as their #1 fan, and only get any national attention when someone from their school makes a total ass of themselves, so I guess I just shouldn't worry about it and pray that they become decent people when they move out of the buttcrack of America that is New Mexico.


Post of the year!!



Tav goes and apologizes to New Mexicos locker room after the game. Classy move I thought and I didn't expect that to happen. Holmoe was Tavs escort so I'm sure Alford put on a smile and went out of his way to be nice to Tav even though there is video evidence that he's a total douche. Good for Tav for being the bigger man.



As for New Mexico it is pretty sad when an opposing player acts like a bigger man then your coach. Tav is half Alfords age and yet Tav went and apologized to Alford. It should have been the other way around.



Re-evaluate yourself Alford, you are quickly becoming the a**hole in the a**crack that is New Mexico.
L
Lawboy
My approach to this is that it was an highly emotional game, both teams wanted it badly, and some people acted poorly. JT overreacted--at a really bad time, too--to something that was relatively minor. Coach Alford also overreacted, and I am sure tht the league with fine and punish him for it, as they should.



But from there, it is done in my mind, UNM won fair and square, BYU lost and that is it. I do not want to act like some Ute fan and get all ridiculous about what Coach Alford said or did, It did not affect the game, and who really cares. Just store it away and use it as motivation for when these 2 teams might meet in the MWC tourney. The best revenge is always to win. Talk on the court, because it seaks loudest there. The rest is just nonsense and noise.



By the way, I served my mission in New Mexico and have been home just over 20 years. It is not a bad town, and has some great people there. Calling at a S**t***e and ripping the people there is off base. They had nothing to do with this and do not deserve that type of garbage. Again, let's not act like Ute fans.
S
Schmoe
I'm not saying that it had anything to do with the outcome of the game and I'm not saying that everyone acted like saints. I have made no excuses for why we lost because it simply was a good game that we lost, either way we're going to the big dance, and I'm confident that if we meet them again with a healthy Jimmer we win, so I'm not even really concerned about the outcome of this game. What I'm saying is that you can tell a lot about a person after the fact when things have calmed down, and that's where both JT and Alford showed their true colors.



As far as New Mexico, it's totally a matter of opinion. I've been there and would never, ever want to go back. However, my comments were directed at their fanbase, coaches, and athletes and the way that they act, not the community as a whole. I met some very nice and wonderful people while I was down there, as well, and they also very much disliked UNM and the UNM students.



I served in some very unsavory places in my mission, and I still love the people there, so I understand where you're coming from, but it doesn't make the places themselves any nicer. I'm glad that you have your own opinion of New Mexico and that you don't just accept my word as gospel, and I would appreciate it if you would afford me the same agency. I would also appreciate it if you wouldn't compare me to U simply because I have a different opinion than you do about where you served your mission. I certainly would be able to laugh and see where you were coming from if you talked a little smack on Lima, Peru, where I served mine.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
I read that, when Tav. and Holmoe went to the locker room, Alford said he was just trying to congratulate Tav on his game :bug: :bug: If that's what he said, he is not only a world class jerk, but a bald faced liar. I am pretty concerned about him approaching JT in the first place. It is NEVER a coaches place to get into the face of an opposing player. That is the responsibility of the player's coach, if it is necessary. The MWC should be all over Alford for that one. BYU handled it exactly right, to settle JT down and have him opologize. Alford somehow seems to feel that he is completely free of responsibility. UNM has definately become my second least favorite. It seems to permiate all sports there. :angry: :angry:
S
Schmoe
[youtube]w1GexPBeT4Y[/youtube]





[youtube]1V9mGyvR3Oc[/youtube]







[youtube]2LPIUI_CY44[/youtube]
C
CAFB_04-12
The coach is an absolute liar.
G
Gunk
I like how Alford is trying to paint this as he was "defending" himself from JT's comments when it's quite clear in the video Alford and his staff is giving JT an ear full, essentially 3 on 1.



I hope we meet UNM in the Las Vegas Invitational and JT shuts Hobson down and drops 20+ on UNM.



In the mean time, I'm all for letting the UNM athletic director, Paul Krebs, know how we feel about his coach yelling obscenities at players. His direct email isn't listed, but on the Lobo website it lists rita@unm.edu as the email address to contact him. Rita is his executive assistant.



However, you may be able to contact Paul directly through linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-krebs/6/266/aa



Something must be in the water at Albuquerque between this and the hair yanking incidence. Totally stupid too because this incident will overshadow UNM's win.
C
clemdiggitydog1
Schmoe wrote:
Oh, by the way, I just saw several replays of the Alford-JT confrontation, and Alford is a douchebag. JT is shaking hands with other players and Alford seeks him out and yells something at him, JT throws his hands up to the side and says "What did I do?" and Alford screams "You're an asshole!" then turns around and emphatically high fives one of his assistants in a smug "I sure told him" manner. JT was even the one who went to the opposing locker room to apologize and in Alford's post game interview he didn't apologize or take any responsibility upon himself.



UNM has quickly become my second least favorite team in the MWC (only behind the Utards) since firing Rocky. I kind of understand them being such pricks, though, since they live in the sh**hole that is Albuquerque, have the poster child for crack babies as their #1 fan, and only get any national attention when someone from their school makes a total ass of themselves, so I guess I just shouldn't worry about it and pray that they become decent people when they move out of the buttcrack of America that is New Mexico.
talk about making an a** out of one self,"buttcrack of America?"Nice, elder.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.