Archived Topic

BYU-Sitake negotiating contract again - DEAL DONE

by Fido · 12/7/2021

Advertisement
F
Fido
1467968868987457540

On BYU Sports Nation today, Tom Holmoe was on and was asked about Sitake and all the coaching positions out there and Sitake's future:



“We are in conversations with Kalani at this point in time, and he’s our coach. We want him for a long time, and good things are going to happen in the near future.”
F
Fido
1468067899940114439
S
scott715
Does Pac12 have a requirement that a minority is interviewed?
F
Fido
Monty's take on Sitake and BYU negotiations and the Oregon coaching position.


1468292101695688704

Summary is:

Sitake and BYU have been reworking his contract for about a month or so. The objectives for the rework are to 1) increase stability and pay for the assistant coaches, and 2) take Sitaki off the "hamster wheel" every time a new head coaching position opens up. Both sides are pretty much in agreement but Sitaki wants to wait until the bowl game is over so they stay focused on the Independence Bowl.



This agreement is why Sitake never got very far with USC or Washington's openings and won't be a serious contender for the Oregon job. Oregon has requested permission to interview but the negotiation and agreement with the rework minimizes interest in those other jobs.
Advertisement
F
Fido
For what it's worth, Monty's version matches up with what Holmoe said recently regarding being "in conversations with Kalani".
B
byufan4ever
I honestly can't see Sitake going to Oregon. BYU is his dream job. We're going to be in a major conference. If money was tight at BYU I would play a game of chicken with Sitake. I don't think he's leaving. That being said, I'm a free market guy and I believe that everyone should be paid their "worth."



Can we tell Sitkae that we'll give him a 20% increase if he just hires a new DC?
F
Fido
1469414994919841794
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I like that he interviewed. Sometimes we need to be at least willing to walk and to have an interview, because it then the institution gets an opportunity for a counteroffer. I think this worked out how it was supposed to. I also think Kalani never seriously wanted to leave BYU. The new offer helps give credibility to BYU that we are serious about national relevance. I honestly think he is a legacy coach, meaning he will stay with BYU for 20+ years. I feel like this year we overachieved and we are on a higher level. I imagine any of the teams of BYU past would have a hard time against the BYU team that beat Utah in September. I dare say that 1984, 1990, 1996, 2001, and 2006 would lose head to head. Kalani has leveled up the program in a way Bronco couldn't, although some credit goes to Bronco for setting the stage for P5 scheduling.



I hope Kalani stays a long time. This year and 2020 have meant a lot to my fandom and also overall quality of life, yes it runs that deep.
B
byufan4ever
I hope that Kalani stays as long as he continues to produce results. Recruiting rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but those have to improve if we're going to consistently be competitive in the Big 12.



Also, with Diljeet Taylor becoming the women's cross country coach is it now official that the head coach of any sport at BYU doesn't have to be LDS? I'd think that we still want to find a good fit culture wise, but that potentially opens the door to a wider pool of head coaches for football, basketball, and all the sports.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.