Archived Topic

Off Topic: Bronco Mendenhall steps down from Virginia

by Fido · 12/2/2021

Advertisement
F
Fido
1466530704112726023
B
byufan4ever
I just posted this too. You beat me to it so I'll delete my post and just copy my comments to here.



No reason or explanation as to why was given. While he was definitely better than Virginia's past coach(es) he only had a record of 36-38. But he wasn't getting fired. He improved the team, but I think that he hit a ceiling or plateau with the team. His contract extension in 2019 allowed him to essentially retire or leave for no compensation to the school after the 2022 season, but this is a season earlier than that. I wonder if he takes a year or two off and then goes back into coaching or if he's done for good. It'll be interesting to see what happens to his assistants.
F
Fido
1466536796922261504
F
Fido
1466538381400285190
F
Fido
1466547045880111107
Advertisement
F
Fido
Class of 2020

Andrew Gentry

Columbine (Littleton, CO)

6-8 / 310 OT

0.9628

Signed - On mission



Class of 2022



Dominique McKenzie

Pine View (Saint George, UT)

6-0 / 170 WR

0.8737

Commit 9/22/2021



Marcus McKenzie

Pine View (Saint George, UT)

6-0 / 170 DB/ATH

0.8601

Commit 9/22/2021



Joe Brown

Lone Peak (American Fork, UT)

6-3 / 285 IOL

0.8581

Commit 6/30/2021



BYU has a bunch of OL coming in this year already--but I'm sure we'd love to get the highly ranked Gentry to flip if possible. I'm not sure what the recruiting relationship was with Joe Brown, but he is a C/G who is mission first (leaving in January) so could fill a role in a few years.
B
byufan4ever
While it sounds like this was a somewhat spiritual experience for Bronco (or at least a moment of clarity) I'm also hearing from Virginia fans that he has never really received support from the administration and the facilities haven't been upgraded like he was promised. UVA fans are saying that no matter who the next coach is the program won't reach the next level without those things.
S
scott715
The covid losses could be the reason that the facilities were not improved.
F
Fido
Cross Andrew Gentry off the transfer wish list. He decommitted from Virginia and committed to Michigan.


1468605948746862592
F
Fido
1469488963593199619

Lone Peak OL Joe Brown decommitted from Virginia and has committed to BYU.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Nice
F
Fido
Now both McKenzie brothers have flipped their commitments to BYU. Both are mission first guys.


1470415339238223874
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.