G
GuestSo if you follow football statistics you may know that Time of Possession (TOP) does not correlate with winning. The top TOP schools are almost always the service academies and other option teams. They maintain the ball for a long time, but rarely win. So there are many who look at BYU's lopsided TOP stats as not an important factor in the losses. However, I want to look at TOP under a different angle and review TOP differential.
TOP Differential is a stat that compares TOP in a specific game vs a teams average TOP (excluding that game) as far as I know this stat isn't available anywhere online so I crunched the numbers myself to come up with BYU's numbers.
First the highlights.
There's not enough data yet to see if this has a nationwide correlation to wins and losses, however I find it very interesting to look at and keep track of.
What are your thoughts?
TOP Differential is a stat that compares TOP in a specific game vs a teams average TOP (excluding that game) as far as I know this stat isn't available anywhere online so I crunched the numbers myself to come up with BYU's numbers.
First the highlights.
- BYU for the season is allowing teams +2 minutes TOP vs what they average.
- In the 5 wins so far BYU is averaging allowing teams 0 minutes extra TOP
Utah was actually -4, USF -1, USU +1, Arizona and ASU both +2
- In the 2 loses BYU is averaging allowing teams +7 minutes TOP
Boise was +6 and Baylor +8
There's not enough data yet to see if this has a nationwide correlation to wins and losses, however I find it very interesting to look at and keep track of.
What are your thoughts?

