Archived Topic

Hall or Romney?

by byufan4ever · 10/2/2021

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
First of all, it's great to have two awesome QBs. I imagine that Hall is the popular emotional pick for most BYU fans, but Romney has a following as well.



There are several attributes that make for a great QB and here's how I see it. Hall is clearly better at running. Romney is no slouch either, but Hall is just more dynamic. Romney is clearly the better passer. Hall can't even throw a spiral. I just don't see how anyone can argue that Romney isn't the better passer. Now there are other things like decision making, leadership, and the "it" factor. Maybe Hall is better in those areas and that makes him the better overall QB.



I'm not a coach and I don't see them at practice. But my armchair analysis is that Romney is right up there with Hall as far as being capable to be our #1 QB for the entire season even with a healthy Hall. I'm not dissing on Hall, but it seems like many fans are outright dismissing Romney saying that he's not in the same league as Hall and I totally disagree with that.
S
scott715
Well now we are seeing where Conover fits in.
F
frdbtr
I love them both. We are going to need one of them to get healthy before the BSU game though or we are going to get our first loss. Conover looked like a 3rd string guy this game.
K
KingCoug
I'll take Hall or Romney. Pleeeeeease, either one. If Conover is our starter, this undefeated streak comes to an end right quick.



I like the grit this team has. They find a way to win. But we need people to heal up, and we need to play better on defense (yes, they stepped up enough in the second half), or it's all going to catch up with us and we will be looking at a loss.
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:

I'll take Hall or Romney. Pleeeeeease, either one. If Conover is our starter, this undefeated streak comes to an end right quick.



I like the grit this team has. They find a way to win. But we need people to heal up, and we need to play better on defense (yes, they stepped up enough in the second half), or it's all going to catch up with us and we will be looking at a loss.


The only reason the defense "stepped up" in the second half was because their starting QB hurt himself and the backup couldn't throw. If that hadn't happened, USU would have scored another TD and we would have had another 7 point win instead of 14 points.
Advertisement
S
scott715
So we need to get our QB hurt then.
B
byufan4ever
Well I guess I cursed Romney, sorry about that! Rumors are that Hall and Romney are both out for Boise St. I have to imagine that with Romney's concussion that he'll be out at least two weeks if not longer. For Hall it just depends on how bad his ribs are and how long they take to heal. Conover definitely looked like a third stringer, but perhaps with a full week of first string reps he'll look better.
G
Guest
Hall is better. Romney is amazing.
S
snoscythe
I'm happy and confident with either. But the offense looks much more explosive with Romney's deep-ball precision. Hall just doesn't have that third-level accuracy to really stretch a defense vertically the way Romney does.
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:

Hall is better. Romney is amazing.


Funny I was thinking that Hall is amazing but Romney is better.



BYU is lucky to have both
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Honestly, I'm comfortable with either and I'm okay with A-Rod deciding if there is a choice.
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:

I'm happy and confident with either. But the offense looks much more explosive with Romney's deep-ball precision. Hall just doesn't have that third-level accuracy to really stretch a defense vertically the way Romney does.


Probably helps that Romney has played 2 of the weaker opponents but the offense has looked excellent with BR. I was really disappointed as soon as I saw him reach for his head to end that 1st half. he was having a great 1.5 games.



Hope either one of them is back vs BSU.
S
snoscythe
BroncoBot wrote:


I'm happy and confident with either. But the offense looks much more explosive with Romney's deep-ball precision. Hall just doesn't have that third-level accuracy to really stretch a defense vertically the way Romney does.


Probably helps that Romney has played 2 of the weaker opponents


You're forgetting that Hall got to play Arizona -- possibly one of the worst teams in the nation. 'Zona lost at home to Northern Arizona, who also managed to put up more points on the road than BYU's Hall-led offense did in front of a friendly crowd in Vegas.



Northern Arizona is not good either, even for an FCS team. They're 2-3 and they've managed to beat only Arizona and mighty Idaho State thus far this season. On the other hand, they've lost to the University of Northern Colorado and blowout losses to mighty teams like Sam Houston, and South Dakota (not even South Dakota State--the lesser South Dakota University). Don't just look at the Pac12 patches on their jerseys -- Arizona is bad bad bad.



I'm not saying Romney has faced a tough slate -- I'm just pointing out that Hall had his chance to go off on a crazy soft defense as well.
B
BroncoBot
Ive chalked up az game to first game jitters (BYU has lost some 1st games they had no business losing over the years) and az being amped for the game with new coaching staff, etc. But, it would have been nice to see BYU drop at least 35 on them. I also think BYU went purposefully vanilla vs az, wisely, with utah being game 2 where the defense and offense looked a lot different.



On paper (regardless of opponent strength) baylor appears to be the better qb.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:


snoscythe wrote:

I'm happy and confident with either. But the offense looks much more explosive with Romney's deep-ball precision. Hall just doesn't have that third-level accuracy to really stretch a defense vertically the way Romney does.


Probably helps that Romney has played 2 of the weaker opponents


You're forgetting that Hall got to play Arizona -- possibly one of the worst teams in the nation. 'Zona lost at home to Northern Arizona, who also managed to put up more points on the road than BYU's Hall-led offense did in front of a friendly crowd in Vegas.



Northern Arizona is not good either, even for an FCS team. They're 2-3 and they've managed to beat only Arizona and mighty Idaho State thus far this season. On the other hand, they've lost to the University of Northern Colorado and blowout losses to mighty teams like Sam Houston, and South Dakota (not even South Dakota State--the lesser South Dakota University). Don't just look at the Pac12 patches on their jerseys -- Arizona is bad bad bad.



I'm not saying Romney has faced a tough slate -- I'm just pointing out that Hall had his chance to go off on a crazy soft defense as well.


The coaches said after the game that they went completely base offense and Defense against Arizona because they had NO film and Arizona didn't do anything in that game that their coaches had done in the past. I think if Hall had remained healthy and played South Florida and USU, we would have seen deep balls completed. I saw him hit multiple deep balls right on the money in both the Ute and ASU games that receivers dropped. I have no doubt that he can hit the deep ball accurately. Oh, and By the way, after the BSU game in 2019 I was the one saying on this website that Baylor Romney was the best QB on the roster so it isn't like I don't believe in his abilities. I just think that Hall is the better guy right now because of his running ability and feel he is a threat on the deep ball as well.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:



The coaches said after the game that they went completely base offense and Defense against Arizona because they had NO film and Arizona didn't do anything in that game that their coaches had done in the past. I think if Hall had remained healthy and played South Florida and USU, we would have seen deep balls completed. I saw him hit multiple deep balls right on the money in both the Ute and ASU games that receivers dropped. I have no doubt that he can hit the deep ball accurately. Oh, and By the way, after the BSU game in 2019 I was the one saying on this website that Baylor Romney was the best QB on the roster so it isn't like I don't believe in his abilities. I just think that Hall is the better guy right now because of his running ability and feel he is a threat on the deep ball as well.


Hall's legs would definitely be a plus against BSU who has struggled against the run.
S
scott715
I don't think I want him running unless he throws it on the run.
S
snoscythe
Well, we got to see a lot of receivers having to stop and wait on deep balls or come back to underthrown balls tonight.



I think one deep ball was thrown to where a receiver could catch in stride.



We also saw the coaches trying to keep Hall safe in a pocket. If that's the new game plan -- keep Hall away from runs and taking hits, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a healthy Romney. I don't think Romney was able to go this afternoon, so it's not like the coaches had a choice, but if they have that choice at Baylor, I don't think Hall's offense will put up nearly enough points to top Baylor.
F
frdbtr
snoscythe wrote:

Well, we got to see a lot of receivers having to stop and wait on deep balls or come back to underthrown balls tonight.



I think one deep ball was thrown to where a receiver could catch in stride.



We also saw the coaches trying to keep Hall safe in a pocket. If that's the new game plan -- keep Hall away from runs and taking hits, I think it's a no-brainer to go with a healthy Romney. I don't think Romney was able to go this afternoon, so it's not like the coaches had a choice, but if they have that choice at Baylor, I don't think Hall's offense will put up nearly enough points to top Baylor.


I agree with you. They obviously tried to protect Hall today with no RPO plays or anything. He looked out of his element. They either need to call plays to his strength or start Baylor how is a better drop back passer. Having said that, today's loss was not Halls problem, Our 2 veteran starting RB's betrayed us today, along with the offensive line. Don't even get me started on the defense.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:
Don't even get me started on the defense.


Defense wasn't the primary culprit today, but boy were they frustrating to watch.



There was a 3rd and 2 on Boise's last FG drive where BSU lined up with 3 receivers tripped to the right.



BYU shifted three over to cover, but they were all 5+ yards off the LOS, and two defenders were stacked on the inside receiver, with no one on top of the middle receiver. I remind you, this is on THIRD DOWN WITH TWO YARDS TO GAIN.



Bachmeier saw the line up, audibled to a quick pitch for an easy 6 yard gain. Receiver was well across the first down line before contact.



The defense gave up a critical first down there by scheme. No idea what they were doing. Mind bottling.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.