Archived Topic

Comments on our 2011 committments

by scott715 · 2/24/2010

Advertisement
S
scott715
I am a bit surprised that there has been very little being said about our commitments and who has been offered. TBS has been doing some articles. I really don't know anything about the kids that we got except for the tidbits on their site. Any insights? Will our class be closed to this year's class? I think it is important to continue our recruting success and get a top 40. top 40 because we will probably sign fewer players which will limit our points. I will be happy if we can average a 3.0 stars on our list. I realize that the stars could be off but it is one way to measure our success and the public perception of our program.
G
gmj81
There are some good prospects in the '11 class but I don't think it will be as highly regarded as the '10 class because there are going to be fewer big names (like Heaps, Apo, Stout, Kaufusi, etc.) plus the class will likely have less than 20 commitments (as will the next two or three classes).



Langi is obviously the next Unga but the rest of the Bingham gang are very good as well. We'll likely end up with another one or two (Langi, Tuasinga, etc.) on top of those already committed (Pritchard, Pikula, Kaumatule). It's proving to be a very good pipeline for BYU. Probably even better than Timpview of late.



Kuresa will be a great addition to the QB ranks because he is a guy that has great potential but not a ton of exposure. Plus with mission plans, it'll allow BYU to spread out their QBs on scholarship a little better. I'd liken Kuresa to Riley Nelson (both great athletes) before Riley blew up his senior year, except that Alex will have better measurables than Riley when he gets out of high school.



Heder is another freak athlete comparable to Pendleton I'd say.



Lapuaho will be a great but underrated addition to the O-line.



Ryker Mathews is the next great OL prospect out of Utah that we need to lock up early.



Siaosi Aiono is another very good OL prospect that would greatly enhance the OL depth and dominance.



They're saying Ben Mamea could make everyone forget about Manti Te'o but given the luck we've had with the island kids lately, I'm not holding my breath.



Taniela Tupou is LDS but is receiving a lot of interest from the Pac-10



Brennan Scarlett I don't believe is LDS but came to a BYU game last year unofficially with his dad as I recall so obviously has some interest in the Cougars.



Fili Moala, the DT from USC who was drafted by the Colts, has a little brother that could be a nice prospect.



And Junior Seau has a nephew that BYU is supposedly onto but not much has come out about him or his interest in BYU yet.
B
BigCougsFan
gmj81 wrote:
And Junior Seau has a nephew that BYU is supposedly onto but not much has come out about him or his interest in BYU yet.


Is Vic So'oto related to Seau(cousins)??? I swear he has a connection with BYU somehow...
G
gmj81
Yeah, they are related but I don't remember how exactly. Nevertheless I know Junior Seau is not LDS.
S
Schmoe
gmj81 wrote:
Yeah, they are related but I don't remember how exactly. Nevertheless I know Junior Seau is not LDS.


Are you sure? I heard that Christina Aguilera referred him and Steve Martin is fellowshipping him...
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Schmoe wrote:
Yeah, they are related but I don't remember how exactly. Nevertheless I know Junior Seau is not LDS.


Are you sure? I heard that Christina Aguilera referred him and Steve Martin is fellowshipping him...


Wrong. It was Jewel that referred him, and Keri Russell, Katherine Heigl, Eliza Dushku and Aaron Eckhart are fellowshipping him
D
Ddawg
Lawboy wrote:
gmj81 wrote:
Yeah, they are related but I don't remember how exactly. Nevertheless I know Junior Seau is not LDS.


Are you sure? I heard that Christina Aguilera referred him and Steve Martin is fellowshipping him...


Wrong. It was Jewel that referred him, and Keri Russell, Katherine Heigl, Eliza Dushku and Aaron Eckhart are fellowshipping him


Whaaaat??? Wow!! Good joke.

:lol: :D
G
gmj81
gmj81 wrote:
There are some good prospects in the '11 class but I don't think it will be as highly regarded as the '10 class because there are going to be fewer big names (like Heaps, Apo, Stout, Kaufusi, etc.) plus the class will likely have less than 20 commitments (as will the next two or three classes).



Langi is obviously the next Unga but the rest of the Bingham gang are very good as well. We'll likely end up with another one or two (Langi, Tuasinga, etc.) on top of those already committed (Pritchard, Pikula, Kaumatule). It's proving to be a very good pipeline for BYU. Probably even better than Timpview of late.



Kuresa will be a great addition to the QB ranks because he is a guy that has great potential but not a ton of exposure. Plus with mission plans, it'll allow BYU to spread out their QBs on scholarship a little better. I'd liken Kuresa to Riley Nelson (both great athletes) before Riley blew up his senior year, except that Alex will have better measurables than Riley when he gets out of high school.



Heder is another freak athlete comparable to Pendleton I'd say.



Lapuaho will be a great but underrated addition to the O-line.



Ryker Mathews is the next great OL prospect out of Utah that we need to lock up early.



Siaosi Aiono is another very good OL prospect that would greatly enhance the OL depth and dominance.



They're saying Ben Mamea could make everyone forget about Manti Te'o but given the luck we've had with the island kids lately, I'm not holding my breath.



Taniela Tupou is LDS but is receiving a lot of interest from the Pac-10



Brennan Scarlett I don't believe is LDS but came to a BYU game last year unofficially with his dad as I recall so obviously has some interest in the Cougars.



Fili Moala, the DT from USC who was drafted by the Colts, has a little brother that could be a nice prospect.



And Junior Seau has a nephew that BYU is supposedly onto but not much has come out about him or his interest in BYU yet.


Like expected, Tausinga joins the B-O-B. He is going to be one mean DT for the Cougars.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.