Archived Topic

Asiata granted medical redshirt, will be back in 2010

by Lawboy · 2/24/2010

Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Utah football officials just announced that Utah running back Matt Asiata has received a one-year extension from the NCAA and will return for a final year. Asiata missed 21 games in the last three seasons due to knee injuries.

A couple of months ago, it appeared that BYU’s Harvey Unga and Utah’s Asiata would both be gone, Asiata due to his eligibility running out and Unga due to the lure of pro football. Now, they will both be back.



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=11860&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1



How many games will he play in 2010 before he goes out hurt? I;d out the over/under at 6.
S
Schmoe
If it's simply any participation, I'll take the over. But if it's be healthy and actually contribute to the team, I'll take the under.
S
stuckinbig10country
Has BYU heard back on So'oto yet? If he doesn't get a medical redshirt while Asiata does, we will have proof once again that BYU doesn't get the same treatment as other institutions.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BigCougsFan
I heard So oto will be back. Or that's the rumor on these boards.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
bball
Asiata hasn't finished a season in how many years? He's made of glass.
Advertisement
M
Mars


If both Asiata and Unga are healthy this entire season, who will finish with more rushing yards? They could both be 1500 backs.
D
Ddawg
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Has BYU heard back on So'oto yet? If he doesn't get a medical redshirt while Asiata does, we will have proof once again that BYU doesn't get the same treatment as other institutions.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bingo!!!

:crazy:
J
jonnylingo
I sure hope sooto really is back. We need him.
I
Iceman
IIRC, Bronco has stated he's confident that So'oto gets his medical red shirt.
S
SpiffCoug
So'oto will likely get it back because he hasn't gone on mission. RMs rarely get a medical red shirt.
Advertisement
G
gmj81
I highly doubt Asiata will be a 1500 yard back next year. One, because he's injury prone and two, because they've also got that other dude (name escapes me right now) who will be splitting reps with him. And the wildcat they've been running that has gotten them all those yards in the past? Yeah, no one is falling for that any more. It's rapidly losing it's effectiveness because they WAY overused it.



I don't even think Harvey is going to have a 1500 yard campaign but he certainly would have a better chance than Asiata. BYU will certainly rely on their RBs a little more next season than they have in the past couple but we also will have more depth at the position than ever before and I guarantee you that they will be using some snaps to get guys (DiLuigi, Quezada) experience for when Harvey graduates.
M
Mars
gmj81 wrote:
I highly doubt Asiata will be a 1500 yard back next year. One, because he's injury prone and two, because they've also got that other dude (name escapes me right now) who will be splitting reps with him.

Eddie Wide?

Sausage Shakein?
L
Lawboy
Shakerin is gonna be the back-up QB next year. They sure used him like one against BYU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.