Archived Topic

Emery's case for Defensive Player of the Year

by Mars · 2/24/2010

Advertisement
M
Mars


http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=9785688



If Foster gets it I'll puke. He's a 7'3" tree with poor basketball skills for his size. Emery has more defensive rebounds for freaks sake!
S
Schmoe
That wouldn't be keeping with tradition, though. Utah's fugly big man wins DPOTY, a freshman from anywhere but BYU wins Freshy of the year, and Jimmer will share POTY with someone from either UNM or UNLV.
B
BroncoBot
Schmoe wrote:
That wouldn't be keeping with tradition, though. Utah's fugly big man wins DPOTY, a freshman from anywhere but BYU wins Freshy of the year, and Jimmer will share POTY with someone from either UNM or UNLV.

You gotta give Freshman of the year to Leonard. Have you seen what a specimen that kid is. It is a beauty contest right? :sulk:
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Schmoe wrote:
...a freshman from anywhere but BYU wins Freshy of the year...

You are definitely correct, that all is in keeping with tradition, but this year, sadly, I would have to concede that Leonard from SD beats out Tyler for Frosh of Year, and pretty easily. In conference games, Leonard is third leading scorer in the entire league, the leading rebounder at almost 10 a game, and beats out Tyler in blocks (expected) and steals (not expected), and even FG%. I love Tyler's game, and I'm psyched to see what he's gonna do for us the next 5 years (you know...), but Leonard is a flat-out BALLER. Here's hoping Grandpa Steve isn't able to put too much more talent around him in the coming years, otherwise they're gonna be a BEAST of a team to get past. Good news is, the future looks bright for the conference.
S
SpiffCoug
Leonard is VERY good. I actually wonder how many years he'll stay at SDSU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave after this, but I will be surprised if he's playing for SDSU as a junior.
Advertisement
G
GolfDiveNCougs
kitic77 wrote:
Leonard is VERY good. I actually wonder how many years he'll stay at SDSU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave after this, but I will be surprised if he's playing for SDSU as a junior.
Agreed, I get the feeling that's the kind of prospect a "name" school wouldn't mind cherrypicking. Hard to say if he'll develop fast enough into an NBA-friendly drafted-eligible-early blue chipper to make a redshirt year worth it, but I'm sure any of the big boys would love to have him even for one year.
B
bigbluepuma
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
...a freshman from anywhere but BYU wins Freshy of the year...

You are definitely correct, that all is in keeping with tradition, but this year, sadly, I would have to concede that Leonard from SD beats out Tyler for Frosh of Year, and pretty easily. In conference games, Leonard is third leading scorer in the entire league, the leading rebounder at almost 10 a game, and beats out Tyler in blocks (expected) and steals (not expected), and even FG%. I love Tyler's game, and I'm psyched to see what he's gonna do for us the next 5 years (you know...), but Leonard is a flat-out BALLER. Here's hoping Grandpa Steve isn't able to put too much more talent around him in the coming years, otherwise they're gonna be a BEAST of a team to get past. Good news is, the future looks bright for the conference.


I have to agree. Leonard has done a lot more than Haws and deserves FOTY. I wonder how much more Haws would have done on a team that needed him like SDSU needed Leonard, instead of on a team with Jimmer. I think it might have been somewhat closer.
B
bigbluepuma
I checked CB, and they were trashing Emery as DPOY. To read there, you would think that Italics had written all the posts, and that Wrubel was as bad a sports journalist as Rose is a coach (in his mind). :roll:
U
urroner
Would I rather be the FOTY and not go to the Big Dance or almost be the FOTY and go to the Big Dance for four years?



I choose life, the latter.
B
BroncoBot
bigbluepuma wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
...a freshman from anywhere but BYU wins Freshy of the year...

You are definitely correct, that all is in keeping with tradition, but this year, sadly, I would have to concede that Leonard from SD beats out Tyler for Frosh of Year, and pretty easily. In conference games, Leonard is third leading scorer in the entire league, the leading rebounder at almost 10 a game, and beats out Tyler in blocks (expected) and steals (not expected), and even FG%. I love Tyler's game, and I'm psyched to see what he's gonna do for us the next 5 years (you know...), but Leonard is a flat-out BALLER. Here's hoping Grandpa Steve isn't able to put too much more talent around him in the coming years, otherwise they're gonna be a BEAST of a team to get past. Good news is, the future looks bright for the conference.


I have to agree. Leonard has done a lot more than Haws and deserves FOTY. I wonder how much more Haws would have done on a team that needed him like SDSU needed Leonard, instead of on a team with Jimmer. I think it might have been somewhat closer.

A LOT more? He's done more sure, but Haws has scored almost the same amount, has a much better shooting percentage. And has done it all while playing slightly less minutes.



I agree, Leonard is a monster and my original post was simply protesting how much announcers like his measurables. I agree that he should get votes for foty, but let's not forget that Haws is the man. And with their stats, I'd take Haws on my team just because his FT% is so much better (and he has a lot less turnovers).
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Not to mention, Haws has done it on a team with more firepower and lots of weapons.
B
bigbluepuma
declocoug wrote:
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
...a freshman from anywhere but BYU wins Freshy of the year...

You are definitely correct, that all is in keeping with tradition, but this year, sadly, I would have to concede that Leonard from SD beats out Tyler for Frosh of Year, and pretty easily. In conference games, Leonard is third leading scorer in the entire league, the leading rebounder at almost 10 a game, and beats out Tyler in blocks (expected) and steals (not expected), and even FG%. I love Tyler's game, and I'm psyched to see what he's gonna do for us the next 5 years (you know...), but Leonard is a flat-out BALLER. Here's hoping Grandpa Steve isn't able to put too much more talent around him in the coming years, otherwise they're gonna be a BEAST of a team to get past. Good news is, the future looks bright for the conference.


I have to agree. Leonard has done a lot more than Haws and deserves FOTY. I wonder how much more Haws would have done on a team that needed him like SDSU needed Leonard, instead of on a team with Jimmer. I think it might have been somewhat closer.

A LOT more? He's done more sure, but Haws has scored almost the same amount, has a much better shooting percentage. And has done it all while playing slightly less minutes.



I agree, Leonard is a monster and my original post was simply protesting how much announcers like his measurables. I agree that he should get votes for foty, but let's not forget that Haws is the man. And with their stats, I'd take Haws on my team just because his FT% is so much better (and he has a lot less turnovers).


You're right. My point was that leonard got where he is because he is the man for SDSU. Haws down the list of weapons at BYU. I didn't say it very well.
M
Mars


I too think Kawhi will be spending his Junior year of college in the NBA.

Partly because he's that good, and partly because no one goes to SDSU expecting to get an education.
F
FurriousCougar
Well Emery finally gets some national love anyway...Jay Bilas says this:



"Jimmer Fredette is a future pro. He is very good with the ball, with a great left to right crossover, and he is really strong with the ball. Fredette is good off of ballscreens and if you foul him, he is automatic from the line. I have been really impressed with his teammate, Jackson Emery, who is one of the fastest guards in the country, and does a great job on the defensive end, leading the MWC in steals. I think that Fredette should be in the All-America conversation, and should be thought of as a POY candidate, yes. But, I would vote for Evan Turner first. I think that Turner is the best all-around player in the nation."





Okay, okay...so a lot of that was also about Fredette...but hey, what do you expect? :P It was just nice to see though that Jimmer is not the only person on BYU that people have heard of.
C
craigoscarson
One possession left and down 1, what player do you want with the ball?



Jay Bilas (4:47 PM)





Evan Turner, Sherron Collins, Jimmer Fredette or John Wall
Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
craigoscarson wrote:
One possession left and down 1, what player do you want with the ball?



Jay Bilas (4:47 PM)





Evan Turner, Sherron Collins, Jimmer Fredette or John Wall


Yeah that one made me smile too, but unfortunately I than also saw all of the idiotic posts in the comments section on the bottom of the page and began weeping for our future with some of the illogical comments made.
B
bigbluepuma
FurriousCougar wrote:
One possession left and down 1, what player do you want with the ball?



Jay Bilas (4:47 PM)





Evan Turner, Sherron Collins, Jimmer Fredette or John Wall


Yeah that one made me smile too, but unfortunately I than also saw all of the idiotic posts in the comments section on the bottom of the page and began weeping for our future with some of the illogical comments made.


It was :utard: fans.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.