Archived Topic

BXII Commissioner's answer to BYU and Sunday play.

by bluebrotha · 2/23/2010

Advertisement
B
bluebrotha
Below is some of the correspondence I've had via e-mail with B12 Commish Dan Beebe regarding their stance on Sunday play. From the wording in his first responses (not posted) it read as if he is a bit annoyed with this question and topic. So please don't send him any emails expressing your style of persuasion or your displeasure.













That would be up to our member schools. I think it would be problematic for scheduling and our championships.



Dan Beebe

Commissioner

Big 12 Conference

400 East John Carpenter Freeway

Irving, TX 75062

Direct Phone: 469-524-1013

Fax: 469-524-1047

E-mail: dan@big12sports.com

Website: www.big12sports.com







From:

Sent: Friday, February 19, 2010 3:48 AM

To: Dan Beebe

Subject: RE: Sunday Play Question



I'm pleased you took the time to answer my inquiry. I know you're busy, but I will roll the dice and attempt to ask just one last follow up question. You used the word "Currently" in your response. Therefore, if an institution such as BYU was a member of the Big XII could this expectation change ? This time, a million thanks if you reply !







--- On Thu, 2/18/10, Dan Beebe <Dan@Big12Sports.com> wrote:



From: Dan Beebe <Dan@Big12Sports.com>

Subject: RE: Sunday Play Question

To: " " < @yahoo.com>

Date: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 2:06 PM



Currently, we would expect all members to play scheduled competition on Sunday, which we do have in a number of sports.



Dan Beebe

Commissioner

Big 12 Conference

400 East John Carpenter Freeway

Irving, TX 75062

Direct Phone: 469-524-1013

Fax: 469-524-1047

E-mail: dan@big12sports.com

Website: www.big12sports.com
E
EM_Puma
I'm tell'in ya, we're screwed on any expansion of BCS conferences because of the no-play rule since both the PAC10 and Big 12 currently have at least half a dozen sports championships scheduled on Sundays. BYU does not bring enough to the table to compensate for that change to normal operating procedures. Maybe one of these conferences would be more willing to work with a Notre Dame if they started a "no-play-Sunday" rule and they wanted to joing a BCS conference, but it would only be because what they bring to the conference compensates for the problem that would occur.



BYU's only options will remain having the MWC become an AQ, stay in the MWC and continue status quo with or without Utah, or go independent. I think this pending expansion will only be negative for BYU sports.
E
EM_Puma
By the way, I'm shocked you were able to get a response from the Big 12 commissioner. It's not that I don't believe what you are saying is valid and from Mr. Beebe, but it's hard to believe he'd actually come down on a side of the issue like that.
B
B-Rex
Maybe violating the Holy Sabbath is the mark of the beast and since they won't let us buy, sell, or trade, they would be the great Satan. Or would that be the PAC10, or the BCS or any number of secret combinaton organizations, too many to list...



We should start a new conference called the Big 666! Then they would let us play.
B
BroncoBot
Interesting that the heart of the bible belt's schools are so willing to play on Sunday. Although, I just recalled that most of the people I knew in Houston that were church goers would go out for waffles and chicken after church on Sunday.
Advertisement
G
GolfDiveNCougs
declocoug wrote:
Interesting that the heart of the bible belt's schools are so willing to play on Sunday. Although, I just recalled that most of the people I knew in Houston that were church goers would go out for waffles and chicken after church on Sunday.

Hey, we've all heard their motto: God, Beer, and Football.



(What they don't tell you is whether or not that's in that order...)

:P
B
BigCougsFan
Nice job BlueBrotha! Good work!



I'm so sick and tired of all this conference talk. IF Utah bolts to another conference, THEN THEY'RE CLASSLESS!!! Screw'em and I hope they fall flat on their faces!



As in the words of the horrid, idiotic, embarassement to mankind Morgan Scalley, "I hate those pricks"!!!
L
Lawboy
If you ask me, it was a non-answer answer. Was very shrewd. All the man said is that CURRENTLY teams are expected to play on Sunday. Currently. Which could also mean that they are willing to entertain the idea of changing that policy. Or not. So not really a real answer to hang your hat on, just what you would expect really.
U
urroner
BigCougsFan wrote:
Nice job BlueBrotha! Good work!



I'm so sick and tired of all this conference talk. IF Utah bolts to another conference, THEN THEY'RE CLASSLESS!!! Screw'em and I hope they fall flat on their faces!



As in the words of the horrid, idiotic, embarassement to mankind Morgan Scalley, "I hate those pricks"!!!


Should Utah do what is good for them or what is tradition? I say that if they get a great deal else where, let them go for it. I would say the same thing also to BYU.
B
BigCougsFan
urroner wrote:
Nice job BlueBrotha! Good work!



I'm so sick and tired of all this conference talk. IF Utah bolts to another conference, THEN THEY'RE CLASSLESS!!! Screw'em and I hope they fall flat on their faces!



As in the words of the horrid, idiotic, embarassement to mankind Morgan Scalley, "I hate those pricks"!!!


Should Utah do what is good for them or what is tradition? I say that if they get a great deal else where, let them go for it. I would say the same thing also to BYU.


What do you mean by "tradition"??? That could mean different things...



I believe they should stay where they became good. Cause it's making a better statement than being in the PAC. I would be dissapointed in Utah if they do jump ship, BYU carried Utah's program for many years while BYU was going through their greatness.



The PAC stinks and the MWC has dominated them these past few years ALL WITH no signs of easing up in the future. It's cause of USC why they are even noticed. If Utah does do this... Then they aren't any better than the average hooker on the corner of any street.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.