Archived Topic

Jeff Grimes heading to Baylor as OC

by Fido · 1/4/2021

Advertisement
F
Fido
1346086481744588800
A deal is expected to be finalized today.
F
Fido
1346114334213066752
Now comes the question if anyone is going with Grimes to Baylor. Grimes brought Mateos with him so that is a possibility.



Speculation on twitter is that perhaps Aaron Roderick becomes OC and Fesi Sitake moves over to passing game coordinator.
S
snoscythe
I'm 100% okay with Roderick as OC, especially if we can bring in John Beck as QB Coach/Asst OC.



As someone who was never super-enamored with Grimes, and as a Baylor fan, I view the totality of Grimes relocation as a "whelp, that's a draw."
F
Fido
1346142034751496192
Official from BYU. For what it's worth, Mateos doesn't seem to be on his way with him.


1346166472490401792
Nothing official or clear of course...but.....
S
snoscythe
I would be floored if Mateos doesn't go with Grimes, but I hope BYU is fighting to keep him.



I just think its a matter of time before a Mateos move is finalized and announced. I don't think that will be announced before he gets married this weekend, though. Can't think of a bigger honeymoon buzzkill than that press release. Mateos will be the big loss here.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I think we'll be fine from an OC standpoint, it's the OL that I'm worried about.
S
scott715
Right
F
Fido
Grimes has pulled Troy OC (and former BYU OL coach) Ryan Pugh back in to be his OL coach at Baylor.
F
frdbtr
I'm not convinced that our Oline play isn't going to suffer from this. Pugh and Mateos both were Oline coaches, but the Oline play steadily got better the whole time Grimes was here. The last time we had this kind of Oline play was when Grimes was here last during the Beck years. I am a BYU fan first so I am hoping Roderic turns out to be a really good Ocoordinator. I can't help but feel this is going to hurt BYU's offense though.
F
Fido
Grimes is very close with Ryan Pugh. In Jay Drew's tweet he says that "Grimes considers Pugh a son". It makes sense that if he could get Pugh or take Mateos with him he would take Pugh first. After all, he did it once before in bringing Pugh to BYU and only lost him so he could have a shot at being an OC at Troy. Being the OL coach at a P5 is going to be a better opportunity to move up than the OC at a G5 school--especially if Baylor does well the next few years.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Fido wrote:

Grimes is very close with Ryan Pugh. In Jay Drew's tweet he says that "Grimes considers Pugh a son". It makes sense that if he could get Pugh or take Mateos with him he would take Pugh first. After all, he did it once before in bringing Pugh to BYU and only lost him so he could have a shot at being an OC at Troy. Being the OL coach at a P5 is going to be a better opportunity to move up than the OC at a G5 school--especially if Baylor does well the next few years.


And everyone else is a BYU lifer.
S
scott715
With Pugh losing the Baylor job, he might take Mateos. big loss for us. But we could replace him with Pugh. Pugh was the first choice so it might turn into an upgrade.
S
snoscythe
scott715 wrote:

With Pugh losing the Baylor job, he might take Mateos. big loss for us. But we could replace him with Pugh. Pugh was the first choice so it might turn into an upgrade.


You think BYU looks past the blackface thing? Honest question.



I don't know that a school that is getting flak from past players right now for not having enough black coaches to mentor black student athletes would go out and hire Pugh right now.
F
frdbtr
Well, a teams offense will go as far as their offensive line will take them. IMO this will be an important hire and if BYU gets it wrong, the offense is going to really struggle. I was so sick of the horrible offensive line play we had had since Grimes left the first time and now that it is getting where it should be he, and his Oline coach leave again.
E
E-Zone15
snoscythe wrote:


With Pugh losing the Baylor job, he might take Mateos. big loss for us. But we could replace him with Pugh. Pugh was the first choice so it might turn into an upgrade.


You think BYU looks past the blackface thing? Honest question.



I don't know that a school that is getting flak from past players right now for not having enough black coaches to mentor black student athletes would go out and hire Pugh right now.


The Black thing happened when he was in college by what I can tell and it looked pretty harmless. BYU has hired him once already since his college days so he has already been though the hiring process at BYU already and they hired him then. So I'm more than happy to take him back again, after all he was Grimes' 1st choice again (@BYU and @Baylor).
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
E-Zone15 wrote:


scott715 wrote:

With Pugh losing the Baylor job, he might take Mateos. big loss for us. But we could replace him with Pugh. Pugh was the first choice so it might turn into an upgrade.


You think BYU looks past the blackface thing? Honest question.



I don't know that a school that is getting flak from past players right now for not having enough black coaches to mentor black student athletes would go out and hire Pugh right now.


The Black thing happened when he was in college by what I can tell and it looked pretty harmless. BYU has hired him once already since his college days so he has already been though the hiring process at BYU already and they hired him then. So I'm more than happy to take him back again, after all he was Grimes' 1st choice again (@BYU and @Baylor).


Okay, I can see that.



So the follow-up question is, if Troy is willing to take him back as their OC, does he leave a coordinator position at a G5 school to be the Oline coach at non-P5 BYU? Have to remember -- he left BYU to take the Troy job, and he's doing pretty good there--why would he come back?
S
scott715
I thought Troy did not want him back.
E
E-Zone15
scott715 wrote:

I thought Troy did not want him back.


That is my understanding also, he left as their co-OC to take an OL position at P5 school (Baylor) and then Baylor uncovers this picture from his college days. Plus, would not be a good look for them to be thought of as a fall back plan.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.