Archived Topic

This Just In

by BoiseBYU · 2/20/2010

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
After latest loss to Utah, UNLV to change name from Running Rebels to Running Rubbish.



Tiger Woods holds conference and says he's really sorry. Unfortunately, what he's really sorry about is that the sex rehab session he went through was only three weeks and not six.



US Curling team a collective 0 -7. Obama to pledge stimulus money to address crisis; republicans to filibuster.



Google tired of Chinese hacking of its site. Google to announce that it is adopting CougarBoard presentation as best way to fight off the Chinese: "The site is impenetrable to known man."



Back to Tiger: no word on what he worked on in therapy. Suggestion that it was all on his putter is sheer rumor.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
0-7? Maybe I should try out. Never done it before but how hard could it be? The real question is how is US hockey going to do once they start playing some real competition. I was on my mission in 02 when Canada beat the US. I was with a canadian companion and our mission president let us go over to a members house and watch the game on p-day. This was the olympics where Wayne Gretzky dropped a couple of bombs while cheering on canada.
S
SpiffCoug
Women's curling won today.
S
Schmoe
Hey, the US men's curling team beat France today, that makes them 1-7, we're number 1 (win) we're number 1 (win)!
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe wrote:
Hey, the US men's curling team beat France today, that makes them 1-7, we're number 1 (win) we're number 1 (win)!


The French surrendered the match, I hear....



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
U
urroner
BoiseBYU wrote:
Hey, the US men's curling team beat France today, that makes them 1-7, we're number 1 (win) we're number 1 (win)!


The French surrendered the match, I hear....



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Those damp French surrender monkeys.



BTW, did you hear that the French are coming up with a new national flag, a pure white cross on a pure white background.



http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2007/05/18/ba_monkeys_012_mac.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
GolfDiveNCougs
Okay, I've literally never watched Curling in my life until today. It took a trip to Wikipedia for me to even know what the rules were and how the game is scored. But you know, I watched almost the entire USA - Sweden match (game? contest? you see?!), and I was enthralled by it! I think it'd be FUN to play! Have any of you guys ever played (okay, are any of you guys willing to admit you've played)? I'd be interested to know a bit about it.
S
SpiffCoug
Curling is addicting. We had never watched it until the 2002 Olympics and were completely enthralled. It's now must-see TV in my family every four years. For whatever reason you just find yourself cheering for the US. It's great fun.
G
Guest
I have played, and it is surprisingly more difficult to play in real life than it appears, but it's also a lot of fun. If you ever get a chance, try curling!
C
CannonCougar85
I love Curling!! I think it is so fun to watch! I've never done it before but I really want to. It's pretty expensive to just start up on your own. Each of the rocks cost between $500-$1500!! And there are 14 of them for a game. I'm glad to see the US finally pull their head out and start winning some games. Props to the US coach for deciding to pull Shuster from his Skip position. Smart move as they've won 2 in a row now. Maybe Vernon Davis in the stands is their good luck charm?
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
in 2002 Salt Lake Olympics I was amazed by the strategy and skill required to be good at this game. You'd think these dumb 'stones' would only be able to go in straight lines. I could not BELIEVE the curve they put on some of these throws (do you call them throws?) And watching them PLAN to have a stone bounce off of three other stones before resting exactly in the right place is beyond my understanding of physics.



although Curling gets a lot of flack for its odd name and people's lack of understanding for an unconventional sport, it's AWESOME. besides, what other sport allows you to wear a grip shoe and a slippy shoe? again...awesome.
B
bigbluepuma
They call curling " chess on ice." I see it as a cross between chess and horse shoes, with a lot of finess.
S
SpiffCoug
And I don't know if it's just me, but several of these women's teams have had some very attractive curlers.
D
Dcr36
kitic77 wrote:
And I don't know if it's just me, but several of these women's teams have had some very attractive curlers.


Are you talking about Russia? If so, I agree 100%.
U
urroner
Dcr36 wrote:
And I don't know if it's just me, but several of these women's teams have had some very attractive curlers.


Are you talking about Russia? If so, I agree 100%.


Maybe you were seeing some different Russian women than I did???? :bug: :bug:



[youtube]5CaMUfxVJVQ[/youtube]
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Dcr36 wrote:
And I don't know if it's just me, but several of these women's teams have had some very attractive curlers.


Are you talking about Russia? If so, I agree 100%.


The US team isn't too bad. The Britons were decent. The Russians were cute as were the Swedes. All very pleasant on the eyes.
G
GolfDiveNCougs
You guys are probably gonna think this is strange, but as I watched curling today, it reminded me a LOT of golf. I know, I know, most people think golf on tv is like watching paint dry, but I actually really love it. It's a very different style of entertainment from, say, basketball, but I enjoy the cerebral nature of it. Curling has all of the same elements of interest as a great golf matchup, and especially of, say, a really tight match play event like in the Ryder Cup, or US Open Extra Holes (Think Tiger (before the freefall) vs. Rocco Mediate). No, it's not at all fast-paced, but that's not a pre-req for me to enjoy it. You've got to think your way through an End (Inning) just like you've got to think your way through a hole, or stretch of holes, playing to your strengths. That's the chess part you guys mentioned. There are elements of defense, of positioning, forethought and setup. Sometimes you lag putt -- place your stone in a defensive spot, and sometimes you ram it in the back of the hole -- put a lot of heat on the throw to ram another stone out of the House (the colored target). Most of the time you ignore the competitor and just play the course, or the stones already in the House, but sometimes you have to play the opponent. Though often not a good strategy in golf, or curling I assume, you sometimes need to take your shots anticipating your opponents' tendencies, strengths and weaknesses, and flat out nerves. Now, curling is much more a team game, but it requires extreme precision, and shots even do the same things. I might have thought I was watching a golf match as many times as I heard "he has to put a draw on it here." That was as interesting as anything to me. The thrower had to draw his shot around other stones just like a golfer has to shape a shot around a dogleg. Claw is right. It's amazing how much, well, curl, ends up on those stones, just like the break of a putt.



Interesting!
B
BroncoBot
I know you guys are just pointing out cute girls, but it made me think of this article which lauds gratifying one's selfish desires and praises the olympics for giving the olympic village 100,000 condoms (14/person). MSNBC of course tried to spin it and make it look like the athletes were totally in control and that if these athletes were not very mature and responsible people they wouldn't be competing at such a high level (bring tiger woods to mind anyone?). Then in the next line they claim that everyone is sleeping around and "blowing off steam". Sad that such behavior is so accepted as normal now. Then there are shocking paragraphs like the following:



"Laugh if you will, but also give the International Olympic Committee credit for acting like a responsible parent: In addition to handing out condoms, they run HIV and AIDS information campaigns in the Olympic Village. And the U.S. Curling Association has gone a step further: In partnership with Kodiak Technology Group, they have introduced the Hurry Hard condom, named for a phrase curlers chant to get their teammates to sweep the ice faster. Proceeds from the prophylactics — which sport a happy cartoon curling stone on their label above the slogan “Be smart, stay safe” — are split between USA Curling and Monterey County AIDS prevention."



------I know that this parent doesn't consider handing out condoms to be responsible.




"And once they finish their competitions after years of grueling work and constant self-denial, the Olympic Village residents are finally free to blow off some steam.



For many, that means going to town, hitting the bars and clubs, creeping back home in the wee hours and hooking up. The trick for partying athletes is doing it without bothering peers who still have to compete."



-----Okay, I know it happens, but do we have to report it in such a way that almost celebrates this sort of culture?



"NBC figure skating analyst Sandra Bezic was a wide-eyed innocent of 15 when she skated in the pairs competition for Canada in 1972. She remains struck by the fact that even when they party, Olympic athletes are in control.



“Athletes who have trained so hard and respect their bodies so much, their letting loose is not even like normal teenager rebelling,” Bezic said.



--------Did these athletes who interviewed even know what this was article was going to be about?????? Then there is this jewel.



"That’s the thing about life in the Village. You hear stories, but there are never names attached to them. It would break the code: As with Las Vegas, what happens in the Village, stays in the village.



So no one will go on the record when talking about certain female figure skaters — no home country was specified — who, as one former athlete put it, “really liked hockey players — and I use the plural. I think Sweden was a very grateful country for that.”



--------Way too much information. Why did that even need to come up?



Ironically I think that Tiger Woods best described this sort of attitude when he said- "I felt that I had worked hard throughout my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me". Just plain sad.



I also read about Lindsey Vonn's decision to do a swimsuit shoot for SI. She (and her husband) felt that it was fine.




"I talked about it with my husband, and I looked at what other athletes had done in the past," says Vonn, a favorite to win the gold in the women's downhill on Wednesday. "I'm trying as best as I can to promote our sport and make it mainstream."



Teammate Kaylin Richardson is among those supporting Vonn's decision. "We have nothing to hide. We're not being objectified, it's a celebration," Richardson says.



-------You've got to be kidding me Richardson, you are absolutely being objectified. Anyway, I found all of it to be disturbing and a sad reflection of the morals of the society we live in.
S
Schmoe
Well, they are the world's games, and these athletes certainly sound like they're "of the world."
M
Mars


Curling isn't a sport. It's no different than horseshoes, croquet, or bocce. No athleticism required whatsoever.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.