Archived Topic

Ty Jordan, Utah football player past away

by scott715 · 12/26/2020

Advertisement
A
a1247
Such a sad tragedy, my thoughts and prayer go out to the family and everyone who this young man knew. Rival or not you never want to see something like this to happen.
S
SpiffCoug
Suicide is always tragic.
A
a1247
SpiffCoug wrote:

Suicide is always tragic.


Was it suicide? They were reporting that it was an accident but then I read about his mother passing. No matter how it happened its a tragedy.
S
SpiffCoug
"accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound is a nicer way of saying suicide, or took their own life, or killed themself.
Advertisement
A
a1247
SpiffCoug wrote:

"accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound is a nicer way of saying suicide, or took their own life, or killed themself.


Yup I'm an idiot what was I thinking. I should have thought it through.
G
Guest
It's a terrible tragedy, whatever happened. Sorry for this young man and his family, who also lost their mother earlier this year.
J
jadesroom
Holidays are a tough time for many people, particularly those who have suffered family losses during the rest of the year. As I recall, Ty's mom passed away earlier this year. Perhaps he was having trouble coping. To echo Hawkwing, it's a terrible tragedy no matter what the reason.
S
snoscythe
What the actual hell -- are people seriously just guessing someone committed suicide now? That's a real ass-hat move.



The single wound was to his abdomen/stomach/hip from a handgun. Not exactly how I picture a handgun suicide being carried out. I'm also not familiar with ANY law enforcement agency publicly calling suicides as "accidental" deaths to somehow be more polite to the emotions of the family.



A more reasonable and charitable assumption would be that the kid or someone in the house got a handgun for Christmas, and they were messing around with it or cleaning it, and accidentally discharged it.



Nothing I have seen indicates suicide. Everything indicates a dumb preventable accident. Anyone making a public guess otherwise is a tool.
F
Fido
It was an accidental gunshot that struck him in the hip according to the local police department. By the time they got him to the hospital he had died (bled to death?--maybe striking an artery or vein?). How many suicides are hip-shots? It seems a bit reckless to call it a suicide.



In any case, very tragic to lose someone at age 19.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I will fully acknowledge my wrongness in calling it a suicide at the time. Given the information NOW available, it does seem that it was not an intentional act. But at the time that was not the case. I made a conclusion based on the information available at the time.



I do not believe suicide is wrong or a sin. I don't know what is going on in people's minds who do take their own life. I do not think they were bad people or are going to hell for doing so.



Early reports made it seem like they were talking around a suicide without actually calling it a suicide. I'm not an ass-hat or a tool for drawing that conclusion 50+ hours before being called that here. Calling me that after more information came out is also an ass-hat since more information became more available.



It is STILL a tragic event. Which is what I said at the time as well. My condolences go out to the Jordan family who have had an even shittier 2020 than most people.
S
snoscythe
Nah. It was a total ass-hat move to go off of "accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound and tell the world a 19-year old kid had committed suicide on Christmas.


SpiffCoug wrote:
"accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound is a nicer way of saying suicide, or took their own life, or killed themself.


The only new detail since you doubled down was the report of where the wound was located. You just assumed it was suicide and decided to declare it so when all that was available was "accidental self-inflicted" gunshot wound like you had some pompous ability to read between the lines.



I can understand someone looking at initial reports and thinking to themselves or privately "Gee, I wonder if this was a suicide."



There's a world of difference between having those private doubts and coming onto fanboards and publicly stating for anyone who happens to browse by that Ty Jordan committed suicide. That's the tool move. I get that you don't like being called out, but I can't think of something lower than what you did here.
S
SpiffCoug
Yes, because the world is looking to my insights on this random corner of the Internet for the final, end-all-be-all analysis.



I've admitted I was wrong. I didn't double down. I didn't delete the post. I'll let my wrongness stand as a witness against my wrongness and insensitivity.



And yes, that additional information DOES greatly change the conclusions I would have drawn had it been originally available.



Suicide is always tragic. The death of any young person is always tragic. I was not mocking Ty nor his family. I was not making suicidal jokes. I was not condemning him.



I drew a logical conclusion I would not have drawn with the information that was later available.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.