Archived Topic

Explanations for the CFP Committee's apathy?

by cougarapologist · 12/2/2020

Advertisement
C
cougarapologist
I can only think of three:

1. These people honestly think BYU is not better than the teams above them;

2. They represent the P5, and so will only allow non-P5 access to the money when doing so will cause them a major blow to credibility (and BYU does not move the needle on that);

3. Wyoming connections see a shot to bring BYU down a peg.



If 1, then they don't actually watch games, they just say they do.

2 feels most likely, no reason to protect BYU as we don't contribute to their pot of money in any real way.

I can't believe 3 could be real in this day, but maybe I'm naive.



Other reasons?
B
BroncoBot
#2.
S
snoscythe
#3.



I think people are thinking a Wyoming AD has faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more cred than he does. He's probably just given a fistful of slim jims with some warm Mountain Dew and asked to sit in the corner, and that's probably heaven for him.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
scott715 wrote:

Klatt interview with Colin Cowherd:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQeJMD0Ntg0


Cowherd is an absolute idiot. Does anyone remember what one of the commenters said right before the utes blew out Alabama in 2008? Yeah, the quote went something like "Alabama didn't recruit even 1 player on the utah team" Uh huh, the recruiting argument is absolute BS.
F
frdbtr
But according to Collin Cowherd, tOSU has a roster full of NFL players so that qualifies them beyond their schedule. :roll:
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I'm not holding my breath for the committee to give BYU any love even if they do thump CCU.



If BYU does win big, the CFP will be forced to admit they were wrong. Question is, what is the easier admission? That you underranked BYU, or that you overranked CCU? I think they are just as likely to say, "Geez, we really thought CCU was good, but we overestimated them based on what a #13 team did to them."



I think this game will piss them off just by happening. Not because of any threat to this year's NY6 or this year's four-team playoff, but because just by agreeing to this game BYU has already sent an arrow at the heart of the CFP cabal's argument for continuing to limit access. Their loudest reason for keeping the playoff, and the money, limited to four teams is the idea that we can't fit a bigger playoff system in because of logistics. Teams need time to prepare for opponents and to make arrangements.



BYU just killed that argument dead. Less than three days notice to get across the county and play a ranked opponent? No problem.



I can't think a cartel is going to reward that.
S
scott715
There needs to be an outcry to replace the committee to something independent.
K
KingCoug
scott715 wrote:

There needs to be an outcry to replace the committee to something independent.


More like the CFP committee and P5 Conference Commissioners brought up on RICO charges.
S
scott715
That works and their should be a federal investigation.
Advertisement
C
cougarapologist
I guess the door kicked back.
S
snoscythe
cougarapologist wrote:

I guess the door kicked back.


This was worst case scenario. Now the committee can pat themselves on the back for getting BYU right while everyone else got it wrong. This loss validated the committee's willingness to ignore anything outside of their conferences.



(just don't bother asking about CCU's ranking....)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.