Archived Topic

BYU Rankings for Week 9

by EM_Puma · 10/25/2020

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
If Boise wins next week, at least we will finally have a Top-30 opponent (as far as Sagarin #27 and Coach's #29 polls go).
E
EM_Puma
I still want Army to decide to make up our game and quit woosing out by not doing so.
G
GAKunkel
A win against Boise and a win against a top 25 Army, if they actually decide to reschedule against us, would do wonders for our ranking.
Advertisement
F
Fido
What are the chances that BYU backs out of the North Alabama game (still pays for game) and then adds a more competitive game in its place? Pipe dream, I know....
E
EM_Puma
Fido wrote:

What are the chances that BYU backs out of the North Alabama game (still pays for game) and then adds a more competitive game in its place? Pipe dream, I know....


It wouldn't be honorable and therefore, they wouldn't do it. BYU was so grateful for anyone that would play them when they had none that I believe they would honor their agreement.
E
EM_Puma
GAKunkel wrote:

A win against Boise and a win against a top 25 Army, if they actually decide to reschedule against us, would do wonders for our ranking.


Good to see Boise in AP Top 25. I'll be a big fan of theirs against Air Force in their next game. We both stay undefeated and the winner of the game will benefit.
K
KingCoug
Gotta win out. BYU has been helped by the soft schedule and the upheaval in college football this year. As long as they are undefeated, the media, polls, etc. will give them the benefit of the doubt. But if they lose even one game, even to an always tough opponent like Boise State, that all goes out the window. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the nation, a 9-1 BYU is the same as a 7-3 or 6-4 BYU. They'll say we beat up on soft opponents, got lucky with Houston, and got exposed by Boise State.



Got...to...win...out.
S
SpiffCoug
The more we keep absolutely destroying teams, the less likely Army will reschedule.
Advertisement
S
Sharper
The coaches poll has Indiana #19 and the only team they've beaten, Penn State, at #17.



I guess they think Penn State will run out the clock next time when they're ahead?
E
EM_Puma
Sharper wrote:

The coaches poll has Indiana #19 and the only team they've beaten, Penn State, at #17.



I guess they think Penn State will run out the clock next time when they're ahead?


I watched that game and I'll have to say, I would have thought scoring the TD would have been your best bet, to be up by 8 points. It's one of those hind sight type of situations. If the player would have slid to the ground on about the 5 yard line, instead of scoring the TD, it would have been 1st and goal and yes, they could have run out more of the clock. One of the craziest endings of a game this season, outside of the Texas/Texas Tech game.
E
EM_Puma
SpiffCoug wrote:

The more we keep absolutely destroying teams, the less likely Army will reschedule.


Possible. I know it's been said that their only focus now is beating AF and Navy for the Commander-in-Chief trophy. They're playing AF next, so a reschedule doesn't affect that. The problem apparently lies in the fact that the only opening for BYU is on Nov 28th, before Navy and I guess they don't want to chance losing any key players. They know already that they've been invited to the Independence Bowl, so in reality, what does playing BYU do for them? For most teams, they would savor a shot at a Top 10 team, but apparently, that's not was motivates Army or the game would be rescheduled.



They're being such pansies about it that it's a shocker that they scheduled us in the first place.
S
scott715
That game was set to be on CBS. I bet they lost some money with the cancellation.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.