Archived Topic

This BYU team is finally playing really well

by frdbtr · 10/2/2020

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Those of you who follow this board know that I have not been a fan of this coaching staff. I felt that they just didn't have it. I like Sitake personally but didn't feel he was a good coach. Well, this team has had me feeling that he may have turned a corner. I know the level of competition isn't the same as it has been but I am watching more than the quality of opponent. This team is disciplined, and well coached. We are not seeing blatant missed assignments, stupid mistakes, or sloppy play. I really feel that this team could have competed with the original schedule and win or lose we would have been proud of their play. I hope it continues. I may not have been a fan of Sitake as a coach but I am a fan of BYU and I was hoping he would figure it out and get the team where it needed to be. I hope it continues through this year and into next. It would be nice to feel confidence in their ability to compete with the P5 teams they have loaded on the schedule.
B
BroncoBot
BYU needs to keep beating teams by several touchdowns. It's kinda boring, but much better than losing.
U
Ungoy
BroncoBot wrote:

BYU needs to keep beating teams by several touchdowns. It's kinda boring, but much better than losing.


It's not boring for me and my kids. I've been waiting years to see BYU play like this again. For me it's exciting. I haven't seen a BYU team dominate inferior teams like this since 2008-2009.
F
frdbtr
Ungoy wrote:


BYU needs to keep beating teams by several touchdowns. It's kinda boring, but much better than losing.


It's not boring for me and my kids. I've been waiting years to see BYU play like this again. For me it's exciting. I haven't seen a BYU team dominate inferior teams like this since 2008-2009.


Like I said in my original post. I have not been a fan of this coaching staff but I have listened to the games on KSL live, then watched the replays on the internet or on BYUtv when they appear. I don't get bored. This kind of clean, disciplined football is enjoyable to watch even when they are blowing teams off the field. We haven't had an offensive and defensive line dominate like this since Grimes was here the last time. I just got sick of defensive lineman living in our backfield blowing up plays before they got started. Tuiaki is actually being creative with his play calling and mixing up the defenses. Very enjoyable to watch.
B
BoiseBYU
Good observations. There have been very very few penalties and very few turnovers, let alone bad ones. Generally signs of good coaching and discipline.
Advertisement
Y
Yzzazz
The typical script for a BYU team is that the Cougs either play a mediocre game or, heaven forbid, they lose it. Embarrassingly. Here’s hoping all this week’s talk about reliability and execution and so forth means this team is different than teams past.



So far, end of first quarter, I’m nervous.
S
Sharper
So far they're playing well enough (and recovering quickly enough) to win even accounting for the sloppiness, but sure looking a lot sloppier in terms of missed tackles, penalties, etc... than the first two games.



Clean that up and they should end with another blow-out. Don't, and they probably still win this one.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
The second quarter restored my optimism. They got the train back on the rails in all three facets.
F
frdbtr
That 37 second drive right before the half was unbelievable. This offense is Legit. I'm so happy for the guys, this is the kind of football we've all been hoping for. This is so much fun.
Y
Yzzazz
Wow! Okay the other games I thought were all O line. This game is CLEARLY all about Zach. Amazing performances.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
It's 38 to 7 on an Oldroyd field goal. Allgeier stepped out of bounds nullifying a great run.
V
vancouvercougar
Incredible pass completion percentage by Zac!
S
Sharper
vancouvercougar wrote:

Incredible pass completion percentage by Zac!


Oddest stat of the day, Zach has more rushing TDs than incomplete passes...
F
frdbtr
It's always about the O-line. Zach is standing back there looking for guys to complete passes to. This Oline is a wall. Love the way this team is playing right now.
B
BroncoBot
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

Yawn.

Man, what a boring game.

;)
Advertisement
Y
Yzzazz
frdbtr wrote:

It's always about the O-line. Zach is standing back there looking for guys to complete passes to. This Oline is a wall. Love the way this team is playing right now.


That’s just it. Any QB could have had a good three games against the last three opponents with this year’s O-line. But I doubt you could find more that a couple QBs in the country that could have done better than Zach did tonight.



I’m quite shocked here. We are seeing a BYU team that has something special so far in every segment of play. Pick any facet of the game and you can think of something about it.



I think team would not be embarrassing to watch in a NY6 game.
V
vancouvercougar
Tyler Batty added a new wrinkle to the D line.
S
scott715
3 sacks for the freshman in limited play. Wow
F
frdbtr
Yzzazz wrote:


It's always about the O-line. Zach is standing back there looking for guys to complete passes to. This Oline is a wall. Love the way this team is playing right now.


That’s just it. Any QB could have had a good three games against the last three opponents with this year’s O-line. But I doubt you could find more that a couple QBs in the country that could have done better than Zach did tonight.



I’m quite shocked here. We are seeing a BYU team that has something special so far in every segment of play. Pick any facet of the game and you can think of something about it.



I think team would not be embarrassing to watch in a NY6 game.


That :37 second drive right before half time was unbelievable. I don't remember a BYU QB that I watched live that could have done what he did, and that includes Max Hall and John Beck. I don't care what competition level we are playing. Last year LA Tech went 10-3 and Navy was top 25 so it isn't like we are playing a bunch of weber state teams. This schedule is weaker than we have been used to but this team is destroying it which is what you expect a good team to do.
Y
Yzzazz
frdbtr wrote:

That :37 second drive right before half time was unbelievable. I don't remember a BYU QB that I watched live that could have done what he did, and that includes Max Hall and John Beck. I don't care what competition level we are playing. Last year LA Tech went 10-3 and Navy was top 25 so it isn't like we are playing a bunch of weber state teams. This schedule is weaker than we have been used to but this team is destroying it which is what you expect a good team to do.


Funny you mention Beck here. Obviously John's coaching of Zach in the offseason was not insignificant. I thought that :37 second drive was totally a throwback of John Beck in the final drive at Rice-Eccles! But now that you mention it, you're right, Zach looked even better!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.