Gunk wrote:
Religion isn't quite recognized as a minority group. Usually it's race and sexual orientation. For some male-dominated sports, like football, a female applicant may be considered a minority.
What this means, though, is for every open position there will be a token minority that makes it to the last round. Rather than have two or three final candidates, schools will have three or final candidates.
I have to imagine for some sports it will be hard to find minority candidates.
First, I wasn't being serious about the LDS minority thing, even though we are.
I have to imagine that at BYU where the unwritten requirement that the headcoach
has to be a card carrying member it will be
very difficult to
always find a qualified minority candidate.
And you know what the next step is, right? It won't be enough to simply get minorities to the final interview. In the near future if you don't meet the right quota for minorities actually getting head coaching jobs then they will start dictating who does and doesn't get the job. Imagine the WCC comes in and says, nope, you can't hire Mark Pope because you don't have enough black or female head coaches. Your next head coach has to be minority. That's where we're headed.
Want a real world example? At my company they recently hand picked me for a new position that should have great career growth. Before I can start that new position they have to hire a new analyst that I will have to train. I was told that there were several qualified candidates whom my manager was ready to move on, but HR said that they didn't meet their new criteria. That's code for none of them were black. Our CEO has been making a big deal about meeting with our black employees and implementing whatever they feel is best. So now I can't start my new exciting job until a (hopefully qualified) black finance analyst is found. In Utah.