Archived Topic

Starters Next Year?

by Mars · 2/17/2010

Advertisement
G
gmj81
Pretty much. Although I don't think that Davies has ruled out a mission necessarily has he? Otherwise, the only other alternative I could see is maybe Kyle Collinsworth starting in front of Charles. But he'd have to be awfully impressive to do that. I really didn't think there was any way Haws was going to start this year and figured Abouo was a lock but it seemed Charles got off to a bit of a slow start this year and Haws came in red hot from the get go. Next year I look for Charles to be a lot more focused at the start as he tries to lock down the starting spot early.
B
BYULV
I think i've heard that Davies hasn't ruled out a mission, but he still plans to play next year either way. I don't think he turns 19 until late this year, but I'm not sure. I think he will start at center over anderson or collinsworth (not really a center type).
C
cougarsunited
Mars wrote:


Jimmer

Emery

Abouo (for Haws?)

Hartsock (Forward, some Center?)

Davies/Anderson/Chris Collinsworth







I hope you're right, I just hava a hard time believing that Jimmer'll come back...
K
KYCoug
Anyone have a handle on what recruiting will bring in as next years freshman and how they might contribute? We had an excellent crop this year and I hope we can continue with a good group next year as well. We especially need to bring in some low post talent every year.



Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville KY
Advertisement
S
scott715
That 7 foot center that committed to ASU was on a mission. I am still hoping he changes his mind and comes to BYU. I don't think he has signed since he is on a mission. We still have 1 scholarship left.
M
Mars


When BYU was ahead of CSU 19-12, Miles and Haws both had 2 fouls each and sat on the bench. Our 5 guys on the court: Fredette, Emery, Hartsock, Abouo, and Davies. Pretty cool.



I wish I was watching the game, instead of listening to the radio, and had more to report.
M
Mars


I randomly started worrying about this today...



So if BYU's Top 6 this year are:

1. Fredette

2. Emery

3. Haws

4. Hartsock

5. Miles

6. Tavernari




We lose half of them next season.





Abouo for Haws? Downgrade. Back-up?

Davies for Miles? Downgrade next season, upgrade by his senior year?

Who will come in and provide the JT scoring-off-of-the-bench (3-pointers/rebounds/steals) role? Lamont Morgan is a senior and will be gone as well. Can Loyd step up and become the go-to bench guy?

How deep will our bench be overall? This year it seems to be in excellent position, but that could dissipate quickly in one off-season...
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:
That 7 foot center that committed to ASU was on a mission. I am still hoping he changes his mind and comes to BYU. I don't think he has signed since he is on a mission. We still have 1 scholarship left.


I spoke to his mission president last October (an ex-BYU FB player (QB) that seems to have slid more toward Utah during the Urban Meyer years and having been in Florida for almost three years has kept up his relationship with Urban at Florida. He told me that people at BYU didn't seem to need him and there was more of a need at the U program. Made no sense to me, but he was injured at BYU and road the bench his entire career and I think that didn't help the situation). He said the issue with 3-star recruit Jordan Bachynski (7-2 245) from Calgary Alberta was that BYU just didn't recruit him hard enough early and the family has no connections to the Cougar program.



I'm just glad he switched from UNLV to ASU (where it just happens his mission president went to school before transferring to BYU after his mission). I don't believe that was a coincidence. I kind of got the impression that the mission president might have influenced his decision somewhat, but that's just a hunch and for a BYU alum, he just didn't seem died-in-the wool whatsoever. Jordan's already signed a LOI with ASU, so I think he's past to stage of making up his mind. ASU did bring in another 3-star center this season, 7 foot Russian Ruslan Pateev and he's playing about 9 minutes a game and averages 2.3 pts/2.1 rebounds and has 13 blocked shots. Jordan will either be behind Rulsan until his senior year or pass him. Maybe ASU will play big with two 7 footers on the floor.



I just think this kid could have fit better into our program, but he would have been battling Davies for playing time for two of his four years, but it just bums me out to lose out on another 7 foot something RM.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


I randomly started worrying about this today...



So if BYU's Top 6 this year are:

1. Fredette

2. Emery

3. Haws

4. Hartsock

5. Miles

6. Tavernari




We lose half of them next season.





Abouo for Haws? Downgrade. Back-up?

Davies for Miles? Downgrade next season, upgrade by his senior year?

Who will come in and provide the JT scoring-off-of-the-bench (3-pointers/rebounds/steals) role? Lamont Morgan is a senior and will be gone as well. Can Loyd step up and become the go-to bench guy?

How deep will our bench be overall? This year it seems to be in excellent position, but that could dissipate quickly in one off-season...

I agree that RIGHT NOW those are downgrades of variable degrees. But one offseason could make a huge difference in the level of talent for these guys. Abouo has made some big strides the past year. Hartsock is night and day from last year and he'll continue to get better. DAvies has been impressive and I think that in one off-season (it's really too bad we don't have a stew Morrell around to help him) and he could pass Miles as far as productivity. Emery and Fredette (if he is still around) are the core of this team and BYU simply needs some serviceable role players to plug in around them and come off the bench for them. Tavernari is the player we will miss the most I'm afraid, hopefully Collinsworth will fill that role nicely.



If Rose has proved anything to me, it's that he can make a great team with decent players. Remember the Austin Ainge BYU team that won the MWC conference in 06-07. Everyone on the current team from starters to bench are upgrades from that team. The MWC has gotten better but I feel BYU is still outpacing them. The sky hasn't fallen, and BYU's in great position to make a run at the MWC championship next year.
Advertisement
C
clemdiggitydog1
declocoug wrote:


I randomly started worrying about this today...



So if BYU's Top 6 this year are:

1. Fredette

2. Emery

3. Haws

4. Hartsock

5. Miles

6. Tavernari




We lose half of them next season.





Abouo for Haws? Downgrade. Back-up?

Davies for Miles? Downgrade next season, upgrade by his senior year?

Who will come in and provide the JT scoring-off-of-the-bench (3-pointers/rebounds/steals) role? Lamont Morgan is a senior and will be gone as well. Can Loyd step up and become the go-to bench guy?

How deep will our bench be overall? This year it seems to be in excellent position, but that could dissipate quickly in one off-season...

I agree that RIGHT NOW those are downgrades of variable degrees. But one offseason could make a huge difference in the level of talent for these guys. Abouo has made some big strides the past year. Hartsock is night and day from last year and he'll continue to get better. DAvies has been impressive and I think that in one off-season (it's really too bad we don't have a stew Morrell around to help him) and he could pass Miles as far as productivity. Emery and Fredette (if he is still around) are the core of this team and BYU simply needs some serviceable role players to plug in around them and come off the bench for them. Tavernari is the player we will miss the most I'm afraid, hopefully Collinsworth will fill that role nicely.



If Rose has proved anything to me, it's that he can make a great team with decent players. Remember the Austin Ainge BYU team that won the MWC conference in 06-07. Everyone on the current team from starters to bench are upgrades from that team. The MWC has gotten better but I feel BYU is still outpacing them. The sky hasn't fallen, and BYU's in great position to make a run at the MWC championship next year.
I'm still not completely buying the whole Dave Rose doesn't and can't coach big men theory.I think our lack of inside game is more a function of the talent level per position,and that historically our talent at the 5 spot has been less than that of our wings and guards,the exception being Keena.Therefore,since I believe that Davies is infinitely more talented than Miles,I believe it's only a matter of time until Davies represents a significant upgrade inside as welll,with or without Stew Morrell.
B
BroncoBot
clemdiggitydog1 wrote:
Mars wrote:


I randomly started worrying about this today...



So if BYU's Top 6 this year are:

1. Fredette

2. Emery

3. Haws

4. Hartsock

5. Miles

6. Tavernari




We lose half of them next season.





Abouo for Haws? Downgrade. Back-up?

Davies for Miles? Downgrade next season, upgrade by his senior year?

Who will come in and provide the JT scoring-off-of-the-bench (3-pointers/rebounds/steals) role? Lamont Morgan is a senior and will be gone as well. Can Loyd step up and become the go-to bench guy?

How deep will our bench be overall? This year it seems to be in excellent position, but that could dissipate quickly in one off-season...

I agree that RIGHT NOW those are downgrades of variable degrees. But one offseason could make a huge difference in the level of talent for these guys. Abouo has made some big strides the past year. Hartsock is night and day from last year and he'll continue to get better. DAvies has been impressive and I think that in one off-season (it's really too bad we don't have a stew Morrell around to help him) and he could pass Miles as far as productivity. Emery and Fredette (if he is still around) are the core of this team and BYU simply needs some serviceable role players to plug in around them and come off the bench for them. Tavernari is the player we will miss the most I'm afraid, hopefully Collinsworth will fill that role nicely.



If Rose has proved anything to me, it's that he can make a great team with decent players. Remember the Austin Ainge BYU team that won the MWC conference in 06-07. Everyone on the current team from starters to bench are upgrades from that team. The MWC has gotten better but I feel BYU is still outpacing them. The sky hasn't fallen, and BYU's in great position to make a run at the MWC championship next year.
I'm still not completely buying the whole Dave Rose doesn't and can't coach big men theory.I think our lack of inside game is more a function of the talent level per position,and that historically our talent at the 5 spot has been less than that of our wings and guards,the exception being Keena.Therefore,since I believe that Davies is infinitely more talented than Miles,I believe it's only a matter of time until Davies represents a significant upgrade inside as welll,with or without Stew Morrell.

Fair enough. But the inside game of Trent Plaisted and now Miles, neither of whom reached their full potential, doesn't help your argument. I don't expect Miles to be an All American but he has only showed very small increments of improvement year to year. I do love his defensive toughness.



I suspect it's a little of both coaching and talent. We may never know. Time will tell with Davies but even if he turn out to be a flop or an all-star it still won't prove either argument wrong of right. It's all subjective.
E
EM_Puma
I have to agree with Declocoug, I haven't seen the proof yet that Rose, or his staff, have been anything exceptional in working with our big men. I think there is a lot of Rose and his program that makes me happy he's here, but I would like to see something that convinces me on that one subject that the position that Rose & Co. just don't know how to effectively develop big men is way off the mark. I can't put my finger on anything. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding.
B
BroncoBot
EM_Puma wrote:
I have to agree with Declocoug, I haven't seen the proof yet that Rose, or his staff, have been anything exceptional in working with our big men. I think there is a lot of Rose and his program that makes me happy he's here, but I would like to see something that convinces me on that one subject that the position that Rose & Co. just don't know how to effectively develop big men is way off the mark. I can't put my finger on anything. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding.

I'm glad that you pointed out Rose's staff. Even if Rose is no good at it, he needs to get a Center/powerforward coach to get our guys producing. It's no secret that Rose runs his offense through and for his guards. I think this hurts the recruiting of quality big guys. Who wants to go to guard oriented BYU when you are getting offers with more touches/fame/attention elsewhere. Just a thought.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.