I think death penalty is over selling it:
- $5,000 fine
- return ~$60,000 from NCAA tourney appearance
- forfeit wins in nine sports during period of violations
- 2.5% reduction in football scholarships for two seasons(~1.5 fewer)
- 5% reduction in baseball scholarships for one season (~0.5 fewer)
- loss of one scholarship for basketball for one season
- 3 years probation
- three season post-season ban for baseball, basketball, and football (but those bans are automatic because their properly calculated APR was so low).
Yeah, it hurts, but I don't think its a death penalty. I think the NCAA wants to sell this as a death penalty so that it can pretend to be tough when it eventually comes after Kansas, UNC, Louisville, etc.
Compare to the SMU football death penalty:
- 1987 season cancelled. Conditioning practices only.
- 1988 season = 7 away games, no home contests.
- no television broadcasts of games until 1990
- loss of 55 scholarships over 4 years
- coaching staff limit cut from 9 to 5 coaches
- No off-campus recruiting for one full year
I think you give SFA the option between the supposed "death penalty" they just agreed to (this was negotiated, not mandated) or the death penalty SMU got, and they would beg for this slap on the wrist.