S
scott715Archived Topic
QB Preview 2020
by scott715 · 5/16/2020
Advertisement
S
SpiffCougCan we please get Zach Wilson some practice reps? He's missed so many of them.
Spring ball 2018: early HS graduate, gets backup at best reps behind Tanner Mangum
Fall camp 2018: gets back up reps behind Tanner Mangum
Spring 2019: misses it entirely w/ shoulder surgery
Fall camp 2019: severely limited until game week following shoulder surgery
Spring 2020: COVID-19 strikes
He was also injured for 6 weeks during the 2019 season. If you count the 3 weeks of spring and fall camps and 12 weeks of season plus 2 weeks of bowl prep, he's had total of about 33 weeks of practice. Of that he's flat out missed 15 of them. Throw in another 8 where he was getting back up reps and he's got about 10 weeks of starter reps under him.
I'm 100% not sold on Wilson as a returning JR starter. Unfortunately, Hall and Romney haven't proved that they fully deserve to unseat him yet either. Once again, I fear BYU is going to suffer through another season of middling to mediocre to average play from the QB. There will be just enough flashes from Wilson to think he can be the man. And then there won't be enough time for Hall or Romney to show they should replace him.
I'm cautiously optimistic about this group though. I think there is talent here. The question is, will it manifest itself quickly and consistently enough for BYU to benefit.
Spring ball 2018: early HS graduate, gets backup at best reps behind Tanner Mangum
Fall camp 2018: gets back up reps behind Tanner Mangum
Spring 2019: misses it entirely w/ shoulder surgery
Fall camp 2019: severely limited until game week following shoulder surgery
Spring 2020: COVID-19 strikes
He was also injured for 6 weeks during the 2019 season. If you count the 3 weeks of spring and fall camps and 12 weeks of season plus 2 weeks of bowl prep, he's had total of about 33 weeks of practice. Of that he's flat out missed 15 of them. Throw in another 8 where he was getting back up reps and he's got about 10 weeks of starter reps under him.
I'm 100% not sold on Wilson as a returning JR starter. Unfortunately, Hall and Romney haven't proved that they fully deserve to unseat him yet either. Once again, I fear BYU is going to suffer through another season of middling to mediocre to average play from the QB. There will be just enough flashes from Wilson to think he can be the man. And then there won't be enough time for Hall or Romney to show they should replace him.
I'm cautiously optimistic about this group though. I think there is talent here. The question is, will it manifest itself quickly and consistently enough for BYU to benefit.
S
scott715This is a big tough question. Who should be the starter.
G
GuestLooks like the Playoffs are decided.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCougSpiffCoug wrote:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this group though. I think there is talent here. The question is, will it manifest itself quickly and consistently enough for BYU to benefit.
I think we say that the QB play has indeed manifested itself quickly and consistently.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.

