F
FidoSo I had this thought this morning that sparked a quick review of the current 2020 BYU football roster. I wanted to see how many players on the team would be Bronco Mendenhall recruits (actual signees in the class of 2015 or earlier) when BYU hosts Virginia on October 30, 2021. To see who would be facing the coach/staff they signed with at that time.
I first eliminated all those who will have expired their eligibility by the end of the 2020 season (baring some medical redshirt or other extenuating circumstance). Then I eliminated all players who were members of the class of 2016 or later since Mendenhall would not have been the coach when they signed. Finally, I removed all RMs who joined the team after 2017 (as 2015 was Bronco Mendenhall's last draft class). It seemed like a safe enough exercise, but maybe a greyshirt or something will trip me up.
That left me with just a handful of players so look up. Several had been transfers to BYU after their missions (for example, Empey--Utah commit, Katoa--Oregon State commit, Neil Pau'u--scholarship offer was pulled before his mission, Sitake offered him again upon his return).
After going through the exercise, can you guess how many Bronco Mendenhall recruits might be on the team to face him in 2021?
1
Junior OL Brady Christensen from Bountiful, UT. He was part of the 2015 signing class and then left for his mission in New Zealand, rejoining the team in 2017 for a redshirt year before finding himself a full time starter for the entire 2018 season and ever since.
Now I do say he MIGHT face Bronco because he was ranked the #20 returning offensive lineman in college football for 2020 and there is talk he might find himself in the 2021 NFL draft if things go well this fall season.
Did I miss anyone?
I first eliminated all those who will have expired their eligibility by the end of the 2020 season (baring some medical redshirt or other extenuating circumstance). Then I eliminated all players who were members of the class of 2016 or later since Mendenhall would not have been the coach when they signed. Finally, I removed all RMs who joined the team after 2017 (as 2015 was Bronco Mendenhall's last draft class). It seemed like a safe enough exercise, but maybe a greyshirt or something will trip me up.
That left me with just a handful of players so look up. Several had been transfers to BYU after their missions (for example, Empey--Utah commit, Katoa--Oregon State commit, Neil Pau'u--scholarship offer was pulled before his mission, Sitake offered him again upon his return).
After going through the exercise, can you guess how many Bronco Mendenhall recruits might be on the team to face him in 2021?
1
Junior OL Brady Christensen from Bountiful, UT. He was part of the 2015 signing class and then left for his mission in New Zealand, rejoining the team in 2017 for a redshirt year before finding himself a full time starter for the entire 2018 season and ever since.
Now I do say he MIGHT face Bronco because he was ranked the #20 returning offensive lineman in college football for 2020 and there is talk he might find himself in the 2021 NFL draft if things go well this fall season.
Did I miss anyone?

