Archived Topic

Harvey Unga hired as RB coach

by Fido · 3/19/2020

Advertisement
F
Fido
1240671172523679747
As expected, Harvey Unga hired as RB coach.
G
Guest
Congratulations Harvey, I hope you do well.
B
BoiseBYU
I will forever remember that time, against Utah, where he literally ran over the Ute safety to score a touchdown.
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:

I will forever remember that time, against Utah, where he literally ran over the Ute safety to score a touchdown.


One of the best plays in BYU history.
E
EM_Puma
I like Unga, I just don't know how well he'll do as THE running back coach. Just so little experience.



I'm not worried about the mechanics. I think he'll do fine. I'm more concerned about recruiting, especially with individuals like grad assistants. Could Harvey have pulled off what Stewart did last year? The proof will be in the pudding, but it seems like we're always having to wait around to see how someone will turn out as a coach at BYU. So few come with much experience.
Advertisement
F
Fido
Was last year really that big a deal? They got those two grad transfers, and one was injured on and off all year--essentially a non-factor. The other was on pace to do great but the torn ACL was unfortunate. In the end we were still RB by committee. I'd love to see some of these younger guys have a break out season than rely on the grad transfer so much. The challenge with those guys is you have a bump in the road and their eligibility is already gone.
S
scott715
Give me a team of quality grad transfers.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I think Coach Unga will do great. I have never met him, but he seems like the guy who does better in 1:1 conversations, maybe less the charismatic group leader. I think that type of persona can be meaningful to recruits. And I'm sure Harvey can bring excitement to the team just as well. He may be a little out of comfort zone, like any of us are with a new job. But I think he has had good mentorship as an assistant and knows how to make the RBs do well. I like this hire overall, but yeah wait and see. I really hope he can bring in more guys like Ty'Son or JSwagg to the program.
F
frdbtr
I loved watching him play. I hope he can coach.
M
mtnradio
I've watched him work with players and recruits. VERY personable (MUCH MUCH better than Reno ... and I did not see Steward in person), very knowledgable, gives good feedback and teaches technique with ease. Players love him and want to play for him. Parents seem to love him (I'm biased ... been a huge fan of his for years).

Six years as GA ... I think he's got more experience than he's given credit for (and more than Reno had when he came ... though that didn't turn out so well). He's got fire, he's got confidence.



Hearing he was hired was the best news I've heard out of BYU football in several years. (Again, I admit my bias)
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
mtnradio wrote:

I've watched him work with players and recruits. VERY personable (MUCH MUCH better than Reno ... and I did not see Steward in person), very knowledgable, gives good feedback and teaches technique with ease. Players love him and want to play for him. Parents seem to love him (I'm biased ... been a huge fan of his for years).

Six years as GA ... I think he's got more experience than he's given credit for (and more than Reno had when he came ... though that didn't turn out so well). He's got fire, he's got confidence.



Hearing he was hired was the best news I've heard out of BYU football in several years. (Again, I admit my bias)


Biased or not this is good info.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.