Archived Topic

BYU vs SMC

by EM_Puma · 3/8/2020

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
At least Pepperdine took them to 2OT, but what a game by Ford with 42, but it wasn't the best, because Pepperdine's Ross goes off for 43. Two players accounting for 85 points. Incredible.
F
frdbtr
Well, it isn't going to be easy but BYU needs to beat SMC and make it to the WCC tourney finals. This winning streak needs to make it all the way to the NCAA tourney if we want to win a game or 2 there. This is the first BYU team since 2010 that has an opportunity to win some games in the tourney.
E
EM_Puma
Yes, and it starts with our old nemesis SMC. To me they've been like UNLV in the old days of the MWC and always a challenge no matter what kind of a record they had. Always that problem matchup.



I was thinking this weekend how I'll never get that Deladova shot out of my mind. It scarred me for life in sports, but it seems right that the championship game needs to go through them.



USF looked formidable and it will take the Zags playing picture perfect to put them down.



I guess we'll see what having this much time off to recuperate has done for the Cougars or if it has only caused them to rust. If Dalton is ready to go, I'll feel better, but listing to the two announcers on the Pepperdine vs SMC game, SMC is also awaiting a key player they lost in December that should be available very soon. I didn't catch the name.



They lost starter Matthais Tass a 6'10" sophomore F/C in December from a torn ACL and was expected at that point to be out for the season. I don't believe Tass could have recovered from a torn ACL in 2 1/2 months.



Kristers Zoriks hasn't been out since December, but must have some injury hampering him looking at his stats from the season, he didn't play last night in a 2OT game indicating he is injured, but his stats don't pop out too much. He's averaged 12 minutes a game @4pts/game. He does shoot 56.7% on 3 pts making 17 of 30 attempts. Maybe it's him.
G
Gunk
Waves almost pulled it off. But last night's game really showcased SMC is a one-pony show. Slow Ford down and BYU wins.



Ford is a unique talent, so slowing him down will be tough, but it's possible. Unlike the Waves, though, we can throw multiple people at him.



Second key for us will be our frontcourt. SMC doesn't have our size. Ball needs to go into the paint every possession.



Will be a fun game Monday. One game at a time. BYU can b at SMC.
1
1967cougar
If we win, it will be because we were well rested. If we lose, it will be because we have rested too long and we will have rusted.



Whatever happens in the game, this is what I foresee reading on Tuesday morning here on the Corner.
Advertisement
S
scott715
It's the truth.
J
Jarhead
I don’t think Gonzaga is going to have a problem beating USF.
G
Gunk
Jarhead wrote:

I don’t think Gonzaga is going to have a problem beating USF.


Doubt it, but l hope USF's bigs can at least wear Gonzaga out a bit.
B
BoiseBYU
1967cougar wrote:

If we win, it will be because we were well rested. If we lose, it will be because we have rested too long and we will have rusted.



Whatever happens in the game, this is what I foresee reading on Tuesday morning here on the Corner.

So obviously, we were too well rested. ;) Ugly game. I think we had two field goals in the last 12 minutes? On to the Tournament and here’s to turning some heads.....
B
byufan4ever
Worst game of the season. Unforced TOs. Very sloppy. Too much flopping. Almost seemed like our guys hadn't picked up a basketball in the last 9 days...call this a knee jerk reaction but I went from dreaming of an Elite 8 appearance to praying we can make it to the round of 32. Let's hope this lights a fire in their bellies and they come out ready to fight in March Madness.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Baxter played a lot of minutes in this game.
B
byufan4ever
scott715 wrote:

Baxter played a lot of minutes in this game.


Lee was out sick so Baxter got the start and his minutes. While Baxter is improved from a few weaks ago he still looked lost on defense at times. It was a nightmare when he got switched onto Ford. That almost put back slam dunk was almost awesome.
E
EM_Puma
I had to get up at 4 yesterday morning for something related to work. Needless to say, by the time the game came on, I was out like a light, so I saw nothing of the game. I woke up about 11:30 though and checked the score. We were up by 2. I was very nervous, but got back to sleep. Woke up at 2 something and had hard time reading phone without reading glasses. I could see that SMC had 51 points, but I couldn't tell if BYU had 50 or 60. A whole lot of difference. I could not let that go, so I got up, got my classes and was totally disappointed at the result. Had a horrible night of sleep after that. I so wish I didn't care about sports like I do.



Reading today about the game I don't know if I should watch it or not. I can't believe any team held us to only 50 points. I heard people in the office talk of Yoeli being too soft down under, but his numbers didn't look bad. Haws's numbers looks like he didn't come to play. That total would tie his smallest output of the season. You can't do that in a tournament semi-final.



This was not the type of performance I was expecting out of this team. I don't know if their heads are too swollen from all the media coverage or what happened, but gravely disappointing result.



Is it worth the time to watch?
E
EM_Puma
Honestly, I think that's a ridiculous time to play a game on a Monday night. The WCC probably isn't "AS" bothered as BYU fans as most are on PST and have an hour on us, but way too late to have to wait to play a game just because of TV scheduling.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
I guess this tweet by Wrubell sums it up
S
scott715
I hope Lee gets better quick and the rest of the team does not catch what he has.
G
Gunk
EM_Puma wrote:

Honestly, I think that's a ridiculous time to play a game on a Monday night. The WCC probably isn't "AS" bothered as BYU fans as most are on PST and have an hour on us, but way too late to have to wait to play a game just because of TV scheduling.


I wouldn't wouldn't watch it. It was a frustrating game. Something was up with Haws. He looked horrible out there.
A
ABYUFAN
Gunk wrote:


Honestly, I think that's a ridiculous time to play a game on a Monday night. The WCC probably isn't "AS" bothered as BYU fans as most are on PST and have an hour on us, but way too late to have to wait to play a game just because of TV scheduling.


I wouldn't wouldn't watch it. It was a frustrating game. Something was up with Haws. He looked horrible out there.

Everyone was off last night it was uncanny - Toolson hit three threes in the first half and then completely lost his nerve for some reason - he tried posting up folks in the second half, but that has not been his game this year and he was unable to even get a shot off several times. Haws' shot was flat and off, Barcello didn't even look to shoot, neither did Zac - it was like watching a completely different team. I'm glad that these guys got the chance to suffer a physical beating last night to prepare them for next week.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.