Archived Topic

Best Case Scenario

by Gunk · 3/2/2020

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Assuming we continue our current win streak and beat SMC and Gonzaga to win the WCC tourney, what seed do we get? Does Gonzaga get a higher seed?



I think if that happens we get a 3 seed as well as Gonzaga.
B
BroncoBot
I'd agree. 3 is the ceiling for BYU and probably the floor for Gonzaga.
E
EM_Puma
I concur that a 3 seed is the top end and we should expect that if we win the WCC tournament, no matter which teams we end up playing. We expect it to be SMC/Gonzaga, but it could be someone else.



I just think all these brackets as of today projecting BYU as a 6 seed are out of line with reality and we're getting dis'd big time under that scenario.
Y
YNot
EM_Puma wrote:

I concur that a 3 seed is the top end and we should expect that if we win the WCC tournament, no matter which teams we end up playing. We expect it to be SMC/Gonzaga, but it could be someone else.



I just think all these brackets as of today projecting BYU as a 6 seed are out of line with reality and we're getting dis'd big time under that scenario.


Only Saint Mary's College and Gonzaga can give us the quality Quad1 wins that we would need to propel us to a 3 seed. I believe we're 3-4 in Quad1 games this year. We won't be a 3 seed if we only have 3 Quad1 wins.



The NET Rankings are about building your resume of quality wins, not about the rankings that the selection committee will follow.
B
BroncoBot
EM_Puma wrote:

I concur that a 3 seed is the top end and we should expect that if we win the WCC tournament, no matter which teams we end up playing. We expect it to be SMC/Gonzaga, but it could be someone else.



I just think all these brackets as of today projecting BYU as a 6 seed are out of line with reality and we're getting dis'd big time under that scenario.


I was a little surprised BYU only moved to 15 in the polls this week with all the losses. Maybe only playing one game against a below average opponent factored in there.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
So Greg Wrubell tweets this yesterday



https://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/1235303732897886211?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw



Today, Lunardi has BYU as a 5 seed in Tampa taking on E. Tennessee St. Winner plays Wisconsin (assuming of course that they beat 13 seed Stephen F. Austin) to make it to Sweet 16. Under that scenario, we'd have to beat #1 overall Kansas to make it to Elite 8.



At least we finally moved up a seed. It's been beyond me to understand how we could be ranked where we are in so many polls and only be pulling a 6 seed.
E
EM_Puma
As a 5 seed, you play the 4 if you win your first game, so to me, being a 4 or 5 seed is about the same, just playing a seed that is a seed higher, but I don't know that playing a 13, as opposed to a 12 is that magically different.



I just looked at the history over the last 35 years and:

12 seeds have won 37.5% of the time

13 seeds have won 21 % of the time



So, there is a bit of a difference being a 4 seed and playing a 13 seed. Let's hope for a win in the semi-final vs hopefully a Quad 1 opponent like SMC, and maybe, even if we lose to the Zags, we might possibly make it to a 4. A lot will depend too on not only what BYU does in their tournament, but what the teams with lower seeds do in theirs. Everybody wins and there's not much movement to be made.
S
scott715
I am looking for the WCC to do some damage in the NCAAs.
E
EM_Puma
https://twitter.com/gregwrubell/status/1235968133212430337?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw



SOS declines could be upset experienced by Houston. Thankfully USU pulled it out at the end. I thought they were going down vs. New Mexico. It's amazing how all this gets you to pull for other teams. Boise beat UNLV, so I'm not certain what affect that had as we lost to BSU in OT, but beat UNLV.
G
Gunk
We're hovering around the same area. No big changes, which is what I would expect. A point drop or raise here and there should be fine.



Assuming we play and beat both SMC and Gonzaga in the WCC tourney, I suspect our ratings will only go up a point or two. There just isn't that much room left. Beating those teams will give us more swagger and recognition heading into selection Sunday.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Gunk wrote:

Beating those teams will give us more swagger and recognition heading into selection Sunday.


It's amazing already how much swagger BYU fans have gotten in beating SMC and the Zags in February and then reading all the hype about how BYU could make a deep run. It was just a few weeks ago most of believed there was no way in heck that we could beat Gonzaga and now we've kind of slipped the other way. 8)
S
scott715
Because we are that good.
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:

Because we are that good.


I hope you are right.
E
EM_Puma
Surprised that SDSU lost #1 in Lunardi's Bracketology with loss to USU, but Baylor has lost 3 of their last 5 and hasn't moved from their #1.
E
EM_Puma
Lunardi still has us as a 5, but now has us moved to Spokane vs Tulsa. Wisconsin is the 4 seed. That wouldn't be too bad.



Actually, I think I like it best of his current 5 matchups:

Sacramento

5 Auburn vs 12 VERMONT

4 OREGON vs 13 NORTH TEXAS



Greensboro

5 Butler vs 12 YALE

4 Maryland vs 13 LIBERTY



Tampa

5 Ohio St vs 12 STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

4 Louisville vs 13 AKRON
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Tulsa got spanked today by Wichita State and Lunardi bounced them from his bracket altogether. He now has us playing still in Spokane, but against Yale.



It seems like people ridicule the PAC12 as not being a powerful conference, but in MBB, they have 7 teams projected into the NCAA tournament, 2nd only to the Big 10.
S
scott715
The PAC lives off of playing each other and going about 50%. Most of them will lose their first round game. I think only a couple of them are locks with most on the bubble.



The conference tournament will decide who goes on. UCLA lost to USC and is out. USC stays on the bubble for now.
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:

UCLA lost to USC and is out. USC stays on the bubble for now.


Lunardi has UCLA as an 11 seed still today and USC is a 9.



Oregon 4

Colorado 7

Arizona 8

USC 9

Arizona St 10

UCLA 11

Standford 11 (play-in game)
G
Guest
Lets be honest, the reason there are so many great upsets in the early round of the NCAA tournament is because so many undeserving P5 teams get in the tournament.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.