Archived Topic

AP Poll Out - Weak

by FurriousCougar · 2/15/2010

Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?seasonYear=2010&weekNumber=14&seasonType=2



West Virginia loses TWO games, and drops THREE spots?!



Georgetown loses to RUTGERS, and drops THREE spots?!



Wisconsin loses at HOME, and drops THREE spots?!



Texas loses....AGAIN....and drops....ONE spot?! When they are clearly on a slide losing FIVE of their last SEVEN



Yet with all these losses, BYU only goes up one...I know we didn't do anything great, but we avoided doing something stupid like the rest of these teams.



Jeez, if BYU dropped 5 games in 7, I can't imagine what would happen to us. Or if we lost 2 games in a row, or to Rutgers, etc.
F
FurriousCougar
Oh, and how could I forget....



Michigan State loses its THIRD game...In a row...and drops ONE spot.



Oh wait, it's okay though, because they redeemed that and got back on track by beating 0-12 conference play Penn State...



Again, if WE lost three in a row, we would be dropped like a rock.
U
urroner
It's getting close to seeding time. If we get too much higher, we just might get a fourth seed or maybe even a third and we can't have that, now, can we! :gross: :gross: :sulk:
C
CannonCougar85
Michigan State loses 3 in a row and only drops 1 spot!! That is a joke! I understand that 2 of those teams were ranked but only one was ranked higher then MSU!
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
I understand all the fury, those numbers don't really add up. BUT.... BYU can only blame itself. They knew they weren't going to get the benefit of the doubt (even when playing a tough team like UNLV @UNLV).



Unfortunately if someone outside the MWC footprint was going to follow a game, that was probably the one that would have sparked their interest the most. And what they witnessed was a beatdown that is going to leave an impression in the voters mind for a long time. I think that it will take winning the MWC season undefeated from here on out and winning the UNLV invitational for BYU to get into the top ten, and even that might not be enough. At this point voters minds are made up and there isn't going to be a lot of movement in the polls unless teams are REALLY on some major losing streaks (unless you aren't in a power conf. of course, then just one loss is going to really hurt).



This is why I was so frustrated with the way BYU came out against UNLV they just weren't playing like they were capable of playing. It was like their minds were on the strip somewhere. Instead of seizing the opportunity to make a major statement they let it slide out of their reach in the first 3 minutes. Now, I'm not saying that BYU should have won that game, UNLV deserves a lot of credit for the pressure and the hot shooting they poured on BYU from the start, but BYU sure didn't act like that game was very important. That's my only critique.



Again, not saying it's fair, but shouldn't we expect this (preferential treatment for the big names) by now?
G
GolfDiveNCougs
I'm asking this in COMPLETE seriousness here. Who in the Big-10 organization has something on everyone of consequence in Collegiate Athletics??? Because for some unexplicable reason, that conference OWNS college sports, when from a W's and L's perspective, they flat out NEVER SHOULD. I don't get it. There are fully THREE 6-loss Big Ten teams in the Top 15, one in the Top 10. What??? There are five MAJOR (read BCS) conference teams with fewer losses behind them, to say nothing about the quality non-"major" teams such as ourselves with half as many losses. The preferential treatment they get with football (THE O(verrated)SU anyone???), coupled with this kind of unexplainable poll love in basketball makes me wonder if EVERYONE, from the coaches to the media, has some sort of compromizing photos of them, all of which have even more inexplicably ended up on the same Big 10 Brass desk...



THEY'RE JUST NOT THAT GOOD, THEY PROVE IT YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT, AND THEY STILL GET TREATED LIKE THEY'RE GOD'S GIFT TO SPORTS!!! WHY???
U
urroner
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:
THEY'RE JUST NOT THAT GOOD, THEY PROVE IT YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT, AND THEY STILL GET TREATED LIKE THEY'RE GOD'S GIFT TO SPORTS!!! WHY???


WAHHHHHH!!!! WAHHHHHHH!!!! WAHHHHHHHH!!!! Please don't get your shorts in a knot.



This is the way it is and you had better get use to it. Pres. Obama received the Nobel Peace Prize because he has the potential to do great things, not necessarily because he has done anything. It's not about what you have done, it's about what you MIGHT be able to do. :utard: :utard:
S
SpiffCoug
With all that said, I think our ranking is about right. I don't think we're a top 10 team, but I do think we're a top 14-17 team.
B
BroncoBot
Exactly what I think as well Kitic.



If we played the top 20 teams RIGHT NOW I think we would win between 13-16 games.
Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
declocoug wrote:
Exactly what I think as well Kitic.



If we played the top 20 teams RIGHT NOW I think we would win between 13-16 games.


Wouldn't that make us the top 5-8 team?
Y
Yndian
Aren't there a lot of prominent journalism schools in the Big Televen (Northwestern comes immediately to mind)? I wonder if that has something to do with it. :whistle:
G
Gunk
kitic77 wrote:
With all that said, I think our ranking is about right. I don't think we're a top 10 team, but I do think we're a top 14-17 team.


And you call yourself a BYU fan! Nonsense, we're the best team in the country! :crazy:
B
BroncoBot
FurriousCougar wrote:
Exactly what I think as well Kitic.



If we played the top 20 teams RIGHT NOW I think we would win between 13-16 games.


Wouldn't that make us the top 5-8 team?

HA ha. That sort of math that I spewed out is equaled to only one person that I can think of. Airwolf. :bug:



I meant to say that we would lose between 13-16 games. Sorry. I've thought about it a little more and would give the cougars a 10-10 record against the top 20. That would be a fun tournament. top 20 vs top 20. See who comes out on top. Although it might turn out to be a little time consuming.
F
FurriousCougar
declocoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:
Exactly what I think as well Kitic.



If we played the top 20 teams RIGHT NOW I think we would win between 13-16 games.


Wouldn't that make us the top 5-8 team?

HA ha. That sort of math that I spewed out is equaled to only one person that I can think of. Airwolf. :bug:



I meant to say that we would lose between 13-16 games. Sorry. I've thought about it a little more and would give the cougars a 10-10 record against the top 20. That would be a fun tournament. top 20 vs top 20. See who comes out on top. Although it might turn out to be a little time consuming.


Except that his quantitative math somehow translated to qualitative results which equated to proving that Coach Mendenhall was a racist.



I think 10 and 10 is fair, that's about where I would put us. well, actually, if we are part of that top 20, we'd play 19 games, so I'd say 10-9 - above .500 :evil:
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
That UNLV game was bad. REALLY Bad. I am happy with the current ranking. Fact is, we are 1-2 v. top 20 teams. And against those receiving votes, worse than that. We beat crap team easy, but struggle v. good athletic teams. Must beat UNM at home. Must. Otherwise, not loving our chances for a good seeding or tourney win with the state of play by the bigs on this team.
K
kfilly20
BYU is honestly ranked about where they should be. They are a very good team but not an "elite" team. If they go to the sweet 16 or so in the tourney we should start out next year ranked about 15 which would really help us out. I'm pretty happy with our ranking.
S
Schmoe
You have to remember that all of our losses are ON THE ROAD and they're all to top 30 (or so) teams. How many teams have a winning record on the road vs ranked teams?
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
You have to remember that all of our losses are ON THE ROAD and they're all to top 30 (or so) teams. How many teams have a winning record on the road vs ranked teams?

Not only that, but all 3 games (Utah State, New Mexico, UNLV) were in front of SELL-OUT crowds. That helps the refs make the swing calls.
S
SpiffCoug
I couldn't help but notice last night during the TCU-SDSU game that there was no one there watching. But when BYU rolls into town the place will be more than twice as full - granted for the TCU road game, many will be BYU fans, but still. Only one team draws the largest home crowds in the conference and that team is BYU.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.