Archived Topic

Zag Fans

by Gunk · 2/23/2020

Advertisement
G
Gunk
What a bunch of whiners:



http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/forumdisplay.php?2-Men-s-Basketball



Just read through the posts about last night's game. According to them we are "thugs" and don't know how to play basketball, like basketball is supposed to be played with your pinkies out and crumpets. It's basketball. It's a contact sport. Their players got pushed around and it's like, "How dare those dirty BYU players not respect us!"



And then you have the SMC fans going, "Yeah, BYU sucks. WCC is GU and SMC only!" It's like SMC is bitter because they don't get to be 2nd best anymore.



Hot tip for future GU opponents, push them around. They are soft and wilt under the pressure.
R
redneckjedi
Probably no mention of the play where Tillie went 'bows out and decked Seljaas and Barcello about 2 seconds apart - foul on Barcello. Or that the only one who lost any blood during the game was Toolson.
S
scott715
Their fans are alot better than most other teams fans so not much to see here.
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:

Their fans are alot better than most other teams fans so not much to see here.


I agree. Let's not let a few fools set the standard for the Zags. There have been some real classy fans there, more than I've seen anywhere else. They're just not used to losing, and I re-watched Haw's incident from last night and there really is no good explanation. I'm sure there is more to the story, but from what you can see, it looked like a real low class op and we'd be just as pissed to have seen that. There were a lot of fouls not called both ways.
A
ABYUFAN
scott715 wrote:

Their fans are alot better than most other teams fans so not much to see here.


Agreed, I like their fans. Honestly we probably have a higher ratio of crazies in our rank of fans than they do.
Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
I know they took issue with TJ's contact with a GU player in the first half where he went down like being shot despite being twice his size. The ESPN commentators said it was a "forearm shiver" and thought it was a borderline flagrant 2. While there was definitely contact there was zero ill intent and the GU player 100% could have stayed on his feet if he had wanted to.
S
snoscythe
The ESPN2 commentary didn't help matters. They were calling for TJ to be ejected in the first half for a "forearm shiver" that "absolutely has no place in the game of college basketball" and is "not a basketball play on any court."
S
snoscythe
byufan4ever wrote:

I know they took issue with TJ's contact with a GU player in the first half where he went down like being shot despite being twice his size. The ESPN commentators said it was a "forearm shiver" and thought it was a borderline flagrant 2. While there was definitely contact there was zero ill intent and the GU player 100% could have stayed on his feet if he had wanted to.


I think the refs took into account that this was the big guy's third flop of the first half in leaving it as a common foul.
B
BoiseBYU
snoscythe wrote:


I know they took issue with TJ's contact with a GU player in the first half where he went down like being shot despite being twice his size. The ESPN commentators said it was a "forearm shiver" and thought it was a borderline flagrant 2. While there was definitely contact there was zero ill intent and the GU player 100% could have stayed on his feet if he had wanted to.


I think the refs took into account that this was the big guy's third flop of the first half in leaving it as a common foul.


From the Legend Boney Fuller:

.

@SeanFarnham (ESPN's color commentator who thought TJ's foul was borderline flagrant 2) show us on this doll where @tjhaws30 hurt you

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERbpRIMUcAAungd?format=jpg&name=small" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byufan4ever
snoscythe wrote:


I know they took issue with TJ's contact with a GU player in the first half where he went down like being shot despite being twice his size. The ESPN commentators said it was a "forearm shiver" and thought it was a borderline flagrant 2. While there was definitely contact there was zero ill intent and the GU player 100% could have stayed on his feet if he had wanted to.


I think the refs took into account that this was the big guy's third flop of the first half in leaving it as a common foul.


Actually it didn't end up being any foul at all I believe. No foul was initially called and then they reviewed it to see if it was flagrant. When they determined it wasn't flagrant they said they couldn't upgrade a no-call to a common foul so they left it at no foul. But yes, it should have been just a common foul. I agree with that.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
byufan4ever wrote:


byufan4ever wrote:

I know they took issue with TJ's contact with a GU player in the first half where he went down like being shot despite being twice his size. The ESPN commentators said it was a "forearm shiver" and thought it was a borderline flagrant 2. While there was definitely contact there was zero ill intent and the GU player 100% could have stayed on his feet if he had wanted to.


I think the refs took into account that this was the big guy's third flop of the first half in leaving it as a common foul.


Actually it didn't end up being any foul at all I believe. No foul was initially called and then they reviewed it to see if it was flagrant. When they determined it wasn't flagrant they said they couldn't upgrade a no-call to a common foul so they left it at no foul. But yes, it should have been just a common foul. I agree with that.

To boot: had they called the foul, that would have negated the 3 point shot made by the Zags player....so Zags came out alright
N
nuk13
I read this in the Spokesman Review but nowhere else as of yet. Remember all the games where some of us have complained about the refs. BYU won fair and square. We are now ranked at 14.



I just watched the highlights and reran it several times. It appears that Haws hit Petrusev in the back but it wasn't a forearm shiver as I've heard. It looked like he had open hands and it was a shove rather than a punch. I wonder what Coach Few has to say, let alone Petrusev. It was a foul but Haws should have been able to continue playing. I don't think it had a bearing on the game as Petrusev continued playing. I wonder how many other fowls were not called in this and other games. We usually only see the fowls on our guys not our guys fowling the other team.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.