Archived Topic

GU game

by scott715 · 2/23/2020

Advertisement
S
scott715
I'm surprised that no one is talking about the game. Maybe you are all at the game. Go Cougs.



By the way SDSU got beat by UNLV. I wonder how that will effect our NET?
F
frdbtr
BYU playing well. Need to play good defense and rebound and we will get the upset.
F
frdbtr
And since I opened my stupid mouth, BYU is now allowing all the shots gonzaga needs to score. Rebound the freaking ball guys!
F
frdbtr
What a win! Guys, it is well documented that I was not a fan of Rose retiring. Having said that, I am so excited about Mark Pope. This is the tough hard nosed BYU team that we used to know and love when coach Rose was first starting at BYU. This team has a good chance to win a couple of games in the tournament.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Wow! What a game! Beating #2 in the land by 13 points is legit. I think this team will go to the sweet 16.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Unexpected result. Wow!
G
Gunk
I was too wrapped up in watching the game to post. I stood for a significant portion of it.



Wow!!! So fun! Amazing win. Congrats!!



That was huge. This team is so fun to watch.
N
nuk13
Baylor and San Deago State also lost and the headline I just read wondered if Gonzaga would be No. !! This win is a great accomplishment. Thank you BYU for hiring Pope! At this point BYU can play with anyone in the nation.
B
BoiseBYU
That game was what college basketball is all about. And since BYU won it is a special one. Crowd was loud! Players focused. I paced most of the game at home.
B
BoiseBYU
PS. The BYU Gonzaga rivalry is everything a rivalry should be. Competitive. Intense. But none of the crap that goes along with too many rivalries. Gonzaga and Few are classy in wins and losses. Pope Yoeli and the rest of the team were classy tonight too.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
BYU wins - Should be a huge boost to the resume.

Kansas wins, which should buffer the SDSU loss a little.



I also wasn't a fan of Rose leaving. But Pope has made all the right moves so far it seems. He's losing a lot of talent in the next 6 or so weeks.
S
scott715
SDSU lost to UNLV. We played both teams so it lessens the damage to our ratings. I heard our KenPom moved up to 17 from 22. NET is 14. What will our ranking be on Monday? We will be ranked in both polls.
F
Fido
1231461220604989442
E
EM_Puma
A little TIC, but I'm extremely worried that the whole world is going to discover Mark Pope and fall in love with him. That interview post game with the ESPN Sports Center desk, like when does that ever happen, but they were loving him. Jim Rome loved him this week. It's going to be very hard to keep him out of the contention for any big job that comes along. I guess we just love the time he's here.
E
EM_Puma
Game stats
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:

BYU wins - Should be a huge boost to the resume.

Kansas wins, which should buffer the SDSU loss a little.



I also wasn't a fan of Rose leaving. But Pope has made all the right moves so far it seems. He's losing a lot of talent in the next 6 or so weeks.


I think Pope realizes this more than anyone, which is why he is going all in on this season. Not only is it his first season, but it will be a couple years till he has as talented a team. Also, he makes some noise and gets to the Sweet 16 now, that will only help with recruiting.



The player landscape is different. The NCAA will more than likely loosen transferring rules. Players with professional ability are leaving earlier. Players want to win and they want to win now, they don't want to commit to a coach or system that will take 2 - 3 years to get humming. To be successful, Pope needs to win now.
E
EM_Puma
I think Gavin Baxter is waking up. The timing is just about right to get him going, especially with the situation with Dalton Nixon, but Gavin wasn't just a man to guard the rim last night.



Honestly, I don't know that I have ever seen as much defensive hustle as I saw last night. We just need to keep the foot on the pedal and not let up.



It looks, over the last 2 weeks too that SMC is getting back in the game. I don't think, in our time in the WCC that we've ever really seen 3 teams going to the conference tournament that really look like they could win it. I'm not saying Gonzaga still isn't the heavy favorite, but this is definitely different.
N
nuk13
In the post game interview, Coach Pope called Coach Few the best coach in the country and Gozaga the best team in the country. I think that is a correct assessment. I think that puts BYU in the top 10 and Coach Pope as one of the 10 best coaches in the nation. The WCC tournament is going to be interesting. Another thing, the WCC should be moving up in the conference standings. It's more than BYU, Gonzaga and St. Marys now.
S
scott715
We are the 9th ranked conference. We need to do some damage in the NCAAs.
E
EM_Puma
The Zags have to love how BYU has elevated the level of play in the WCC and brought more TV exposure through BYUtv, but generally they have to hate the fact that twice we have denied them the #1 ranking.



Gonzaga was ranked #1 that day in Feb 2017 when we ended their perfect season with a win in Spokane 79-71, and had we not beaten them Saturday, they probably again would have been #1(Kansas might have still jumped them, BUT WE'LL NEVER KNOW WILL WE?) as Baylor had fallen as the #1 ranked team.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.