Archived Topic

BYU vs Santa Clara

by EM_Puma · 2/20/2020

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Interesting to note that actually it is probable more important to beat Santa Clara and Pepperdine than Gonzaga. If we lose to Gonzaga, we're still on track for the Big Dance. We lose to either of these other team, or tragically both, then it's not so sure. Also, seeding will be affected if we lose to either of two teams, while a win over Gonzaga could improve our seeding, but I doubt that it will hurt where we are currently being projected.



I don't believe BYU is not focused on this game tonight, but once again I'm nervous. Someone tell me I have nothing to worry about.
S
scott715
You have nothing to worry about. There you go.
G
Gunk
Wish I could tell you that you have nothing to worry about.



We should beat SC, but it won't be easy. SC edged out SMC by 1 point. They are a dangerous team. I'm glad it's at the MC, it makes be feel more confident.



You're right in that the SC and Pepperdine games matter the most. We can't drop either of those games. If we lose to SC today, we have to beat Gonzaga on Saturday.
E
EM_Puma
:crazy:
scott715 wrote:

You have nothing to worry about. There you go.
:crazy:
E
EM_Puma
Interesting that Santa Clara has 4 players who average double digits in points. I see one hasn't played in as many games, so I don't know if there has been injury problems or not.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Boy, I really hate playing a team that was capable of beating SMC, but has lost 3 games in a row.



Looking at those stats, they have had at least 3 different players score a double/double.
F
frdbtr
Good news: BYU got the win. Bad news, took them into late in the second half to put this team away at home. I think this team is looking ahead to Gonzaga and has been for the last 2 games. Hope it benefits them in the Gonzaga game and they don't have a hangover against pepperdine.
E
EM_Puma
I find it hard to believe that a Mark Pope team would really look past the current team they faced on the schedule. He's better than that.



Now, to explain what the heck went down tonight...(the sound of crickets) :gross:
E
EM_Puma
Strange game. When is the last time we had 3 players with 20+ points? I imagine it's been a long, long time. We had 2 players with double/doubles and yet we, the #1 3-pt shooting team in the nation only hit 3 of 13, which I imagine has to be our lowest output this season. But we won by 10 points. Strange game.



Haws broke his continual games with at least 1 3-pointer. I just can't imagine we only hit 3 3-pt shots and they were made by Childs (2) and Lee (1). Once again, strange game.
N
nuk13
[quote=EM_Puma post_id=258373 time=1582261212 user_id=5420]

Strange game. When is the last time we had 3 players with 20+ points? I imagine it's been a long, long time. We had 2 players with double/doubles and yet we, the #1 3-pt shooting team in the nation only hit 3 of 13, which I imagine has to be our lowest output this season. But we won by 10 points. Strange game.



Haws broke his continual games with at least 1 3-pointer. I just can't image we only hit 3 3-pt shots and they were made by Childs (2) and Lee (1). Once again, strange game.

[/quote



Thanks for posting the stats Em. Strange stats they are too. Too bad Haws missed hitting a 3 but a double double is better for the team. Is this his 2nd in a row. The pros are going to like his assists.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
EM_Puma wrote:

I find it hard to believe that a Mark Pope team would really look past the current team they faced on the schedule. He's better than that.



Now, to explain what the heck went down tonight...(the sound of crickets) :gross:


May not have been from the coaching staff but IMO the players have Gonzaga on the brain. It just doesn't make sense that they would have looked so flat the last 2 games when they have looked pretty focused for the entire WCC schedule. BTW, I do understand you are being kind of TIC with your comment. :)
G
Gunk
I missed the 2nd half! Had to stop watching the game half way through and apparently the dvr wasn't set right. Looks like I missed a tight one.



Four minutes in we only had 4 points. From the get go it was an odd game. I hope it was because we were looking ahead because we have looked flat.
E
EM_Puma
Gunk wrote:

I missed the 2nd half! Had to stop watching the game half way through and apparently the dvr wasn't set right. Looks like I missed a tight one.



Four minutes in we only had 4 points. From the get go it was an odd game. I hope it was because we were looking ahead because we have looked flat.


Sorry on that one. For the first time in a long time I was watching the game in real time. I watched the 1st half only to the 10:09 mark when we were up 19 to 8. I just hate the anxiety of it any more. I have no idea if that's part of getting old or just part of knowing you can control it and let the game go on DVRing it and come back to it. Maybe a bit of both, but I switched to some National Geographic documentaries to try to get my mind off the game and kept my phone with me and I'd check the score on the ESPN ap.



I was a little uneasy that the score had lowered down to one time 7 point lead, but it was back to 10 at half, but I was still uneasy.



Then the 2nd half started and wow, Santa Clara stormed back. At that point my adult son, my youngest son, who lives at home, said that same thing that BYU games cause him such anxiety. He said it seems like BYU often plays down to the level of their competition. It was hard to argue after the last game with San Diego, but I pointed out to him a lot of the games we cruised through this season.



I turned the game back live with 1:17 left and BYU up 81-69. I was confident it was in the bag.



Still, when you look at the stats, Santa Clara took us totally out of the game that had gotten us to this point in our season of being a ranked and dangerous team. We won this game totally without the 3 ball and on the foul line with drives to the bucket. It felt like the kind of win BYU used to have and not the 2019-2020 version of the team. San Diego didn't double down on Yoeli. It's like the recipe that teams have discovered give them the best opportunity to beat us and you can bet your "sweet bippy" (I'd love to know how many of you know and remember that phrase) that Gonzaga will use the same scheme. We have to somehow get our 3 ball game back to beat Gonzaga, especially being short of Dalton.



I'm more worried about Pepperdine next week, as it really doesn't matter if we lose Saturday. I believe we're in the Big Dance either way, but we'll suffer with a worse seed. Come on Cougs
E
EM_Puma
Total game stats. Surprised the attendance ended up only in the 12K range. I thought we'd surely be at 15K at least the way people were listing tickets on KSL classified. Wow, I've seen some real crazy prices for Gonzaga tickets for Saturday. Maybe they're not crazy, but $400/seat for the game seem crazy to me unless you're made of money.
S
scott715
The last two games we have struggle which were without Dalton Nixon. I think that is the problem and not the team looking ahead. Baxter does not have the same rotation and flow (note he is not getting that many minutes yet).
Advertisement
S
scott715
TJ scored or assisted on 23 of BYU's last 27 points. The dude was huge last night.



TIME PLAY SCORE

8:38 Yoeli Childs made Free Throw.

57 - 58

8:09 TJ Haws made Jumper. 57 - 60

7:40 TJ Haws made Jumper. 60 - 62

5:55 Connor Harding made Layup. 64 - 66

5:12 Jake Toolson made Layup. Assisted by TJ Haws. 66 - 68

4:38 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 69

4:38 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 70

3:27 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 71

3:27 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 66 - 72

2:55 Connor Harding made Layup. Assisted by TJ Haws. 67 - 74

2:20 TJ Haws made Jumper. 69 - 76

1:53 TJ Haws made Layup. 69 - 78

1:17 Yoeli Childs made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by TJ Haws. 69 - 81

0:50 Jake Toolson made Free Throw. 72 - 82

0:36 Jake Toolson made Free Throw. 72 - 83

0:26 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 75 - 84

0:26 TJ Haws made Free Throw. 75 - 85
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.