Archived Topic

Portland

by Gunk · 2/7/2020

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Was a beat down. Portland had no answer for Childs and Toolson continued his shooting tear.



We completely out rebounded the Pilots 47 to 26, which shocked me a bit given Portland has some height on their team.



When we play teams like Portland I am always like, why are we so much better; they seem to have good athletes. Portland just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and their defense was Swiss cheese. Anyways, makes me appreciate our guys and coaches.



Did notice Baxter got off the bench with about 5 min left in the game. He sat at the table to be checked in for a bit, then Pope talked to him for a bit and he got up and went back to the bench. Thought it was interesting. Were they just teasing us or the Pilots or is Pope seriously considering playing Baxter...
G
Guest
I'm really torn on if I want Baxter to come back or wait for next year. This team could be really good with him, maybe even win a game in the tourney good.
E
EM_Puma
My initial reaction to Baxter, when rumblings began about 1 1/2 weeks ago that he "could" be cleared to make it back this season, was that if we've gotten this far, let's not burn a year.



To hell with that thought. Let's do it now. Let's give him enough minutes to be effective in the WCC tourney and into the NCAA and see where it will take us. I believe this is one of those special year classes, above and beyond normal. Let's ride this at least to the sweet 16. If his insertion can help us get there, that if he didn't play this year we wouldn't make it there, then today is now and let's get it done.
N
nuk13
One of the things I noticed is Lee's 10 Rebounds. It wasn't talked about but that's pretty good. Portland is only 1-9 in league play so they are down.



To the right it says we are officially the NCAA leaderr in 3pt% at 42.4%.
G
Gunk
nuk13 wrote:

One of the things I noticed is Lee's 10 Rebounds. It wasn't talked about but that's pretty good. Portland is only 1-9 in league play so they are down.



To the right it says we are officially the NCAA leaderr in 3pt% at 42.4%.


Lee was a beast down low. Fought for every board and in some cases against two or three Pilots.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
I was at the game. I live in the Portland area and see this game every year. It's a good time to meet fellow cougar fans



We have more BYU fans every year than Portland fans. It's a lot of fun when all the Cougar fans in the building do the "B Y U COUGARS" yell around the building. It's like a mini home game.



I sat next to a couple Pilots fans (they left with 6:30 to play and BYU was up by 30 or more. One gentleman said to his friend "BYU plays the way college basketball should be played. They move the ball and get good shots and play ferocious defense." They seemed to know our team and watch us on TV.
F
frdbtr
If he can play, lets play him. Holding him out to save a redshirt year is stupid if he would help us beat Gonzaga at home and win out the rest of the WCC. We need to win now, not save guys until next year.
N
nuk13
vancouvercougar wrote:

I was at the game. I live in the Portland area and see this game every year. It's a good time to meet fellow cougar fans



We have more BYU fans every year than Portland fans. It's a lot of fun when all the Cougar fans in the building do the "B Y U COUGARS" yell around the building. It's like a mini home game.



I sat next to a couple Pilots fans (they left with 6:30 to play and BYU was up by 30 or more. One gentleman said to his friend "BYU plays the way college basketball should be played. They move the ball and get good shots and play ferocious defense." They seemed to know our team and watch us on TV.

This is a good entry. I can't help feel some empathy for the Portland fans. If I could I'd thank them for their compliment.
N
nuk13
I just watched the highlights on Youtube. The best play may have been Childs save from a ball out of bounds. He landed past the blue paint but got it to Toolson for a 3.



I'm also impressed with the ball movement and selfless play of the team. In spite of their ability and the accolades they get from scoring they frequently pass to teammates for a better shot. They are obviously a better team for it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.