Archived Topic

Utah transfer Devonta'e Henry-Cole picks BYU as final destination

by Fido · 2/2/2020

Advertisement
F
Fido
1223798265084182528

https://www.ksl.com/article/46712270/utah-transfer-devontae-henry-cole-picks-byu-as-final-destination



Henry-Cole joins a running back room at BYU that includes Lopini Katoa, Jackson McChesney, walk-on Alec Wyble-Meza and Sione Finau, who recently underwent knee surgery.



Henry-Cole has been hampered by injuries during his four years with the Utes, including missing the entire 2018 season. He averaged 5.5 yards per carry for 188 yards and two touchdowns in 12 games as a redshirt junior in 2019, including a career-high 79 yards and a receiving touchdown against Washington State.



The 5-foot-11, 196-pound native of Boca Raton, Florida, played in just one game as a true freshman in 2016, then broke out for 279 yards and two touchdowns on 55 carries a year later.



During his time at Utah, Henry-Cole was taught by missionaries and baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, with former Utah star Chase Hansen performing the baptism in 2018.



A sociology major at Utah, Henry-Cole is not listed as a graduate transfer in the NCAA transfer portal, according to a source with knowledge of the portal. He's spent four years on the Hill, with one year of eligibility remaining — but he saw significant playing time in just two seasons.



A source close to BYU expects Henry-Cole to be eligible this fall, but it's unclear if that is by NCAA waiver or graduate status.
A
a1247
I'm totally shocked
B
BroncoBot
Ute fans ranting how he will be BYUs best back and how that somehow proves a talent gap.





I hope he dominates.
M
MTM
Sad to see him go.

I always thought he had a chance to be a really dynamic back

And everything I’ve ever heard about him is that he is an outstanding person too.
B
BoiseBYU
MTM wrote:

Sad to see him go.

I always thought he had a chance to be a really dynamic back

And everything I’ve ever heard about him is that he is an outstanding person too.

Thanks for the note. Bernard turned out pretty good for you all; I hope Henry-Cole turns out the same for us.
Advertisement
C
CougarCrazy
If the transfer portal continues to grow it could become a very important pipeline for BYU.



Most guys mature in college. Lots of nonLDS players may welcome the chance to concentrate and treat a few months at BYU as a camp before the NFL draft.
C
Commoner
BroncoBot wrote:

Ute fans ranting how he will be BYUs best back and how that somehow proves a talent gap.





I hope he dominates.


In this, they are right. If he stays healthy, he will be the best player,in the backfield. If the play calling takes advantage of his skill sets.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.